Injury concerns?

1truevol

I'm all about physical preseason camps. I know you want to make sure your team has had enough contact heading into the season. BUT...I just hope that Butch (and Co.) are really taking a careful look into when is too much? I know it's a balancing act, but I certainly hope we're not going to be limping into our first game with key members (18 players so far) of the team already banged up. I know there's the "NEXT MAN UP" philosophy...but there's a reason that next man up has not been the "FIRST MAN UP"! GO VOLS...and here's to hoping and praying for a healthier second half of fall camp!

Reactions: 4 people
I'm pretty sure the reason so many are sitting out is because they are being cautious. We had a lot of starters 'banged up' preseason last year too, but they were all there for game one. Almost all of the 18 sitting out right now would be ready to go if we had a game tonight.

Reactions: 1 person
That's right All the SEC teams are sitting by the pool drinking lemonade waiting for the season to start.

No Genius....of course they're not. But...I do often wonder how other top tier SEC programs manage and structure their preseason practices so that they get enough contact without doing too much. I think I read last year where Saban is a fan of "thud" contact in certain situations...just as an example. Butch may be doing an outstanding job in this area. So I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings by voicing my concern. It's just a valid question about an obviously valid problem.

I'm all about physical preseason camps. I know you want to make sure your team has had enough contact heading into the season. BUT...I just hope that Butch (and Co.) are really taking a careful look into when is too much? I know it's a balancing act, but I certainly hope we're not going to be limping into our first game with key members (18 players so far) of the team already banged up. I know there's the "NEXT MAN UP" philosophy...but there's a reason that next man up has not been the "FIRST MAN UP"! GO VOLS...and here's to hoping and praying for a healthier second half of fall camp!
The only one so far out for a long period of time is Jackson, most of the others are minor, he has got to get the OL to preform at a high level or they will get destroyed against the elite teams, he has got to gamble and hope for the best if our OL can hold its own against our DL then we will have a heck of a year, if they go half speed our line will SUK.

Who has gone down that is a concern besides Jackson? Players can go down without any contact too (remember Justin hunter?)

Guess this is a bad time to tell you that practices are about to get even more intense.

Last edited:
It's always hard to keep the really tough football players from playing on game day........injury or not
This Vol's squad #119's toughness has not yet been tested, but it will be tested

Just saying, it is a contact sport, people get injured, that is why you have a great support staff to fix the injured.

I kind of get the feeling that about half of the guys who are "out" are just banged up a bit and they're being cautious with them.

Its Football not soccer.. Its violent, mean, and painful.. Its also why attrition IS a big deal. For whatever reason a player leaves or is run off/thrown out, it still leaves the ranks thin in times like this... The good side is that as of now I'm only hearing of one serious injury.. CBJ is making them tough, and that is painful.. He has to push them to get their best.. after 2 a days it normally lightens up a bit

Read an article where we had close to 18 players out for whatever reason today due to true injuries, precautionary measures, or simply being dinged up?! I know there is another similar thread out, but this is concerning. I know there is a big difference hitting the weight room and running sprints in the summer.... I also know that they have been pushed hard and are driven to improve 1% each day... Every start to the season, the body needs to get adjusted to this type of punishment, but I have been trolling other SEC sites and no team even comes close to the number of kids we have out at this point in fall camp. I seem to remember the same thing happening last season as well. I trust the coaching staff, but this is getting serious with the potential we have this year to be truly relevant again... Is it something in the water or are their muscles not getting the proper stretch before or after practice that is causing these issues? Flame--------

Thought this was about Croom...^^^

But...thanks for starting another thread, we needed it!

I wouldn't be concerned at all, ViB. Marcus Jackson is a true loss, but the rest are just precautionary. A guy gets a twinge, or strains a muscle, or twists his ankle, and the coaches are giving them a practice or two or three off, give the body a chance to recover so that a little booboo doesn't become a real injury through repeated stresses.

It's a smart way they're approaching fall camp, one I'm not sure I've ever quite exactly seen done before.

Don't let the radio chat bubbas and blog writers get you breathing heavy with them over it, every indication is that all our guys except Marcus are doing fine.

no problem, all that was said on the other thread was "this is football and not soccer, its tough and guys gonna get hurt" that's cool, tough. and all, but when we don't have key folks in the starting rotation against BG or worse, maybe its not such a good thing.... but hey, they're being "tough"...

VN Store

Back