Good Analysis of Vol Defense

Up front, the Vols value a big, strong, run stopper at the nose tackle spot. The defensive tackle should be a more athletic, pass rushing type. The defensive ends should be fast, athletic pass rushers.

That is something I was actually hammering on last season. Outside of Saulsberry, we had no DTs over 300lbs. O'Brien, Owen Williams, Jordan Williams, Vickers, etc were all in the 280s. We had nobody capable of going "heavy set" in the middle to plug run lanes and it's something we got eviscerated for.

That's why I don't think KMac and Tuttle both start at the same time this year. I think they rotate in that NT role when needed opposite of OBrien, Williams, Vickers and possibly even Picou.

I think we can go KMac/Tuttle for known short yardage run plays, however. I think our "base" 4 DL will only have one of them on the field.

Reactions: 1 person
Also, I think if Picou gains about 15-20lbs he'll be deadly alongside KMac/Tuttle in 1-2 years or he can trim down and play SDE.

that's a the second good write-up i've seen in just as many days

are we sure this is VN? I kid, I kid. Thanks for sharing!

This is not my blog, but I know the blogger. He does not post a lot, but he does have Part 2 coming out soon.

Reactions: 2 people
Very interesting. Loved the clip of Vereen appearing to run away from contact while CM picked up the glory. Well coached right there.

Reactions: 5 people
This is not my blog, but I know the blogger. He does not post a lot, but he does have Part 2 coming out soon.

Great write-up. Since you know the blogger, do you think you could convince him to switch the embedded vids with gifs? The way they are embedded only allows for one play, with no way to reload the vid except to reload the whole page. A gif would allow the reader to observe the plays multiple times, instead of just once. For me, I need to watch a clip multiple times because the first time I'm usually just trying to figure out what's going on, especially if I'm trying to follow specific gaps along with the post.

JMO

Reactions: 2 people
all I had to do was click the refresh button Volindalton,on the bottom left and it worked fine for me

Great write-up. Since you know the blogger, do you think you could convince him to switch the embedded vids with gifs? The way they are embedded only allows for one play, with no way to reload the vid except to reload the whole page. A gif would allow the reader to observe the plays multiple times, instead of just once. For me, I need to watch a clip multiple times because the first time I'm usually just trying to figure out what's going on, especially if I'm trying to follow specific gaps along with the post.

JMO

I will pass it along

Freak...how can we get this blogger and other posters like him a dedicated thread stickied for those who are interested? I think there are lots of coaches and former players here that LOVE to read this stuff. Btw thanks for the awesome site. Spend a lot of time here. GO VOLS

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back