Poll: Who will lead the team in receiving yards this season?

Who will lead the team in receiving yards this season?

• Total voters

chattaboogie

I drink and post.
Who will be the leading receiver on the team? I think it could really be a tossup between North, Pig, Pearson, and Malone. I have to think that all four will play in the NFL. Sure, North has to get it together and Malone also has a lot to prove, but apparently they are all healthy and ready to rock this year. Any ways, what do y'all think?

I say:

Von Pearson - 800 yards

Pig Howard - 750 yards

Marquez North - 700 yards

Josh Malone - 600 yards

Everyone Else - 850 yards

This would be a total of 3,700 receiving yards. For comparison, last year we totaled 2,914.

I don't see any way anyone gets too close to a 1000 yard season. Aside from the four I've mentioned passes have to be spread around to the likes of Josh Smith and Jason Croom at receiver (possibly Preston Williams), and Hurd and Kamara out of the backfield and it looks like Ethan Wolf will have a good year as a passing target. Jesus, how do we get the ball to all these guys?

If it did happen to play out similar to this Dobb's would have to be in the Heisman race considering he had 469 yards and 8 touchdowns on the ground just during the second part of last season.

Have to go with Pig. I would say North but until he has an injury-free season that's hard to do. Pig is so solid year in and year out

Reactions: 1 person
I'm assuming with a healthy North and Pearson (I think he ends up starting regardless) out wide that Pig will get a lot of looks from the slot. He's one of the best guys we have from a reliability and big-play standpoint. That being said I'm sure North and Pearson see a LOT of balls thrown their way, as well as Smith and Malone if he can ever get consistent. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Hurd and Kamara get a lot of screens and shallow routes thrown their way too. I like Croom, North, and Pearson in the red zone a lot, that's a BIG group for any normal secondary to cover. Wolf has great hands for such a young guy, so he's a solid option too. We have an embarrassment of riches as far as targets for Dobbs go. Should be a good year for the passing game if we can get some protection from the O-line and the running backs can keep opposing linebackers and secondaries honest. It's going to be fun to watch. MAKE IT RAIN!!

I don't know lol. I can't decide. Toss up, a healthy North is probably up there with Pig. But Pearson has proven himself as a playmaker and if healthy could lead the team.

And Malone could have a break out year. ..gonna go Pig.

I say:

Von Pearson - 800 yards

Pig Howard - 750 yards

Marquez North - 700 yards

Josh Malone - 600 yards

Everyone Else - 850 yards

This would be a total of 3,700 receiving yards. For comparison, last year we totaled 2,914.

With our our ground game (and OLine), I don't see us reaching 3700 passing yards.

WR by committee, simply because we have such a breadth of talent. We have enough top-tier receivers to rotate them every couple of plays, keeping them lemony-fresh while the opposing team's best corners get more and more worn out. Consequently, I expect Team 119 to be one of those teams whose first quarter stats are dominated by solid running, and whose second quarter and beyond has burst-out passing numbers. The TV commentators will talk about "running to establish the pass," but it will really be "running CBs ragged to establish the pass, while Hurd & Kamara have fun."

Oh, and back to the question: as a consequence of the "committee" approach, we won't have one standout...we'll have three or four very good co-equals. If I coulda voted for them all in a tie, I would've. :)

Gonna be fun to watch!

Last edited:
I agree with those of you that said Pig will catch the most passes/get the most looks. He is definitely our most consistent guy. I think Pig has the most receptions with Von coming in at second but Von makes them count more.

I love the upside of North and Malone and their big play capability, but I just don't see high numbers of receptions for either compared to Von and Pig. Higher average though probably.

So Does anyone agree that its not absurd, and is perhaps likely, that all four will eventually be drafted?

Anyone expect Josh Smith to pick up where he left off or Jason Croom to have a big year and look like NFL players?

If it's pig we're in trouble. No offense, but the other receivers are far more physically imposing and need to start showing it. They've been pretty damn soft coming off the line.

With our our ground game (and OLine), I don't see us reaching 3700 passing yards.

The O Line is the one obvious question mark. I hope that with this much time our coaches are at least half way to fixing the problem. (They just have to be decent this year)

As for the ground game taking away too much production to allow for 3700 yards passing I don't think so, and here's why.

PASSING

2012 - 477 attempts 285 completions 59.7% 13.3 avg
2014 - 453 attempts 281 completions 62.0% 10.4 avg

RUSHING

2012 - 413 carries 1924 yards 4.7 avg
2014 - 524 carries 1903 yards 3.6 avg

Take out Dobb's carries last year and it looks like this

2014 - 420 carries 1434 yards 3.4 avg

So Point One:

In 2012 we had 964.17 total offensive plays if you adjust for not playing in a bowl game. In 2014 we had 977 total offensive plays. Butch Jones ran more plays last year than Dooley in 2012 even though I would argue the fast and high scoring of both us and our opponents in 2012 would make a higher number of plays more probable. In short, we are playing fast-paced football on offense.

Point Two:

If Dobb's stays healthy and starts the entire season I believe it is reasonable to expect/hope for him to improve his accuracy to 67%. So using 453 attempts from last year that is an expected 303.5 total receptions in 2015. If our passing game were to achieve the average yards per completion our 2012 team did then that would put our total passing yards at 4,036.

Point Three:

Though the 2012 Vols are considered a pass heavy offense, they accumulated more rushing yards than last years team on much fewer carries without the help of a rushing quarterback. Without Dobbs last year we posted a 3.4 yard average per rush compared to 2012's 4.7 average. If you are passing well then you are running well and vice versa.

Got a little side-tracked but all that was to say if we can work around our O Line problems and get the ball out to our wide receivers quickly then the sky is truly the limit for this offense. Everything runs through Dobbs however and I don't see Hurd and Kamara pulling from his passing stats much if any. It would be more likely for success in each area to improve the success of the other.

Pretty hopeful numbers if Dobbs can improve even slightly. Nice post, chattaboogie. I could see North staying healthy adding yards also.

VN Store

Back