Biggest sleeper to breakout for the Vols this season...

CamVol8

2 words. Josh Malone. He's got all the talent in the world and you gotta think he will burst out on to the scene this year. What's your guys thoughts about him?

Reactions: 3 people
It would be awesome for wolf or Bynum to have a breakout season. I know Bynum isn't exactly a sleeper but he has a lot to prove and an incredible opportunity. If Wolf has a great year then that means our offense is clicking and making first downs.

Reactions: 2 people
It's up to him.

He has the potential like you say. He looks the part more this year. And he seems to be practicing more consistently. I'd love for him to have a breakout year and wouldn't be surprised if he does. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't either.

By sleeper do you mean- a guy who will contribute more than expected or a guy who will have a big year that nobody thinks he will?

Contributer: McDowell, this kid will be a playmaker and will see the field at LB more than people expect.

Big year: Ethan Wolf. He has ever tool you want from a TE and he has the attitude of wanting to be great. With questions at OL still, great backfield, and talent at WR, nobody will be able to contain him 1 on 1. He'll eat up the middle of the field.

I'm worried that our offensive line may keep us from witnessing the huge potential of this WR group

I think our OL will be better in 2015 than it was in 2014. While that isn't a very high bar, there is some reasoning behind it.

The ZBS is notorious for it's ability to open up running lanes but equally notorious for it's specific player types, mentality and difficulty in adaptation if you're not coming from a ZBS background.

I think a lot of our woes last year were from our OL being patchwork quilted together with equal parts youth and communication breakdowns. Early on, we were susceptible to stunts but as the year wore on, we got better at reading them and adapting. Dobbs' assuming the role as QB1 coincided with that improvement and alleviated some pressure to hold a pocket for more than 3-4 seconds.

I do think that with DeBord coming on bord, we'll see improvements. He's a hard-nosed OL guy himself and we needed it.

Also remember our OL has the distinct pleasure of going against Maggit/Barnett all Fall Camp where this point last year we didn't have any stand-out DEs (Maggitt was still half/half LB/DE and Barnett had not turned the corner yet).

We also didn't have any healthy DTs on roster that were over 300lbs and a lot of youth for Mahoney to have to teach said complicated system to.

TL;DR another year in the weight room, studying film, getting their @sses beat by a good DL and working together will benefit this OL.

They'll still be the weak link on the offense but I think the struggles we're seeing on OL are equal parts testament to their deficiencies and also the tenacity and intensity of our own DL.

Reactions: 7 people
Sleeper for me, then, based on my wallotext?

Jack Jones. I think he takes RG and eviscerates people. He's a mean kid between the whistles and we need that.

Because of one injury?

No, mostly because this board is filled with reactionary hyperbole that spreads like wildfire.

Jackson was a consistent OL but his injury drops people from 8-4 to 6-6? Dobbs drops us from 8-4 to 6-6 maybe... but, in all honestly, a barely average OG on a barely average OL?

If Kerbyson/Coleman have improved as much as pundits/players are saying, that will be 5x more important than who takes Jackson's spot. OG is actually the one position I'm worried the least about on the OL.

2 words. Josh Malone. He's got all the talent in the world and you gotta think he will burst out on to the scene this year. What's your guys thoughts about him?

Agree. Heard from Swain this morning that his practice habits and efforts are much improved. Kid has enormous talent and is getting by a very similar player who WILL take his spot in Jennings if he doesn't step up his game....just what Malone needed and I think and hope we see this kid take off this season.

I'm going to go with Kyle Philips. This kid is the most athletic D-lineman we have. And that's really saying something. He obviously won't take over a starting position with Barnett and Maggit out there being a team strength, but this kid is way too talented to keep his snap count low this year. And the kid's not just athletic, he's got a crazy motor and work ethic for his first year. (Who does that sound like???)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hope its Bates on D and maybe North on Offense, :crossfingers::crossfingers:

Sleeper for me, then, based on my wallotext?

Jack Jones. I think he takes RG and eviscerates people. He's a mean kid between the whistles and we need that.

I agree with your assessment. OL is probably the hardest position to be good at right away. Even with a couple of years in the program, it is still very difficult for a new line to be good right away. Communication and working together is key and takes time. It is not always the best individuals that make the best overall line.

I also agree that I think Jack Jones may be a big surprise this year. I would not have named him before Jackson's injury but really like his game. Another OL who I think may surprise is Thomas. He actually has the body to play tackle. Last year his technique was horrible in part, I think, because he was in his head way too much. The slide step is tough to master and if you rush it like he usually did, you throw your upper body back before your feet and get way off balance.

VN Store

Back