Butch: The Money Year Man

Face

VolNation Con Man
It's year three. The dreaded year that all coaches in modern college football know as the year of judgement. Results. W's. Beating rivals.

This is when a few slips ups lead to the pitchfork crowd running wild on social media, harassing the staff and their families... The money year.

What can we expect from this team and Butch specifically?

The track record:

Butch has been in year 3 twice before.

His first year 3 was in 2009 with Central Michigan. He won the conference championship with an 11-2 overall record. He got hired by Cincinnati following that season.

His second year 3 was in 2012, when he went 9-3. Ties for conference championship, Later hired by Tennessee.

Here he is again.

There's several of things I will speculate on than I think carry meaning for this team this year.

1: Butch is finally at a point where the roster talent deficit vs the competition can be consistently overcome. The last two years, UT simply didn't have enough in the tank to outperform other teams week after week in the SEC.

2: Butch has made it count in money years (year 3s) by getting hired by a bigger and better program. This year, I think he makes it count by solidifying his spot as a top tier coach in the SEC.

3: Butch's coaching results follow what he preaches: consistency. And those results are largely based on talent and game plan execution. As the talent on the roster has improved, we've seen a trend arise.

The team performs at talent level, with spikes of over performing. Sometimes that over performing is beating a bad team to a pulp (western Kentucky), dominating a team "evenly matched" (Iowa) and beating a team they had no business being on the field with (11 win USC 2013). This year, I think that level of performance consistency goes higher. The baseline ability of the team can match up, and more wins can be had without needing to be extraordinary. BIG wins will come when those extraordinary games happen, not just good wins.

Concluding, I think Butch mentally has a 3 year plan for how he manages to achieve success. This is the first time he's had to build a roster, so I'm not sure we'll see the conference championships he normally gets, but there is a shot.

However, he has a pattern of execution in the money year that places him in great coaching company. In my opinion, he works to build teams for long terms success, and this is going to be the first time he's going to be around for a while to enjoy (other than monetarily) the fruits of his labor.

We're in for a good year, and if his record says anything, it's that year 3 expectations are something he thrives on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32 people
Assuming year 3 goes well it also will bring a big question with. How long before he leaves? I for one don't believe he would be inclined to go anywhere but I can see the media putting out rumor after rumor of him talking to other schools. While it will be annoying it will also be worth the headache once he starts winning.

Reactions: 2 people
It's year three. The dreaded year that all coaches in modern college football know as the year of judgement. Results. W's. Beating rivals.

This is when a few slips ups lead to the pitchfork crowd running wild on social media, harassing the staff and their families... The money year.

The track record:

His first year 3 was in 2009 with Central Michigan. He won the conference championship with an 11-2 overall record. He got hired by Cincinnati following that season.

His second year 3 was in 2012, when he went 9-3. Two losses in conference, and the other against a Tennessee team loaded with offensive firepower, and with potential to be great before they quit on Dooley. Butch Won the conference. Later hired by Tennessee.

Here he is again.

There's several of things I will speculate on than I think carry meaning for this team this year.

1: Butch is finally at a point where the roster talent deficit vs the competition can be consistently overcome. The last two years, UT simply didn't have enough in the tank to outperform other teams week after week in the SEC.

2: Butch has made it count in money years (year 3s) by getting hired by a bigger and better program. This year, I think he makes it count by solidifying his spot as a top tier coach in the SEC.

3: Butch's coaching results follow what he preaches: consistency. And those results are largely based on talent and game plan execution. As the talent on the roster has improved, we've seen a trend arise.

The team performs at talent level, with spikes of over performing. Sometimes that over performing is beating a bad team to a pulp (western Kentucky), dominating a team "evenly matched" (Iowa) and beating a team they had no business being on the field with (11 win USC 2013). This year, I think that level of performance consistency goes higher. The baseline ability of the team can match up, and more wins can be had without needing to be extraordinary. BIG wins will come when those extraordinary games happen, not just good wins.

Concluding, I think Butch mentally has a 3 year plan for how he manages to achieve success. This is the first time he's had to build a roster, so I'm not sure we'll see the conference championships he normally gets, but there is a shot.

However, he has a pattern of execution in the money year that places him in great coaching company. In my opinion, he works to build teams for long terms success, and this is going to be the first time he's going to be around for a while to enjoy (other than monetarily) the fruits of his labor.

We're in for a good year, and if his record says anything, it's that year 3 expectations are something he thrives on.

Didn't CMU give Jones a 5-year contact after the 2007 season (which later became a 6-year contract)?

Assuming year 3 goes well it also will bring a big question with. How long before he leaves? I for one don't believe he would be inclined to go anywhere but I can see the media putting out rumor after rumor of him talking to other schools. While it will be annoying it will also be worth the headache once he starts winning.

I don't think he leaves. This is his place now. If he finds championship success, he'll coach till he retires

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't CMU give Jones a 5-year contact after the 2007 season (which later became a 6-year contract)?

Don't know. But it's pretty clear where the real value is... Upgrading to another program. Not simply a raise.

He's gotten a raise and extension here, but I think it's common sense to say this year will be his most defining, regardless of his current contract

I think that the only way Butch leaves UT is if he's fired

I'm not disagreeing. But its not too far fetched to see Miami fire their coach and then every time you turn around there'd be a story of them trying to lure CBJ away. I think he will have solidified himself as a program rebuilder after this year.

There is a caveat however. Both Central Michigan and Cincinnati were in good standing program wise thanks to Brian Kelly.

Butch took over a moribund program. He won conference titles in year three but he still needs a little more time to really compete for conference championships.

....and beating a team they had no business being on the field with (11 win USC 2013)

The beauty of the SEC. These type of wins happen. Expect it to happen to us.

spr20061016.jpg

The track record:

His second year 3 was in 2012, when he went 9-3. Two losses in conference, and the other against a Tennessee team loaded with offensive firepower, and with potential to be great before they quit on Dooley. Butch Won the conference. Later hired by Tennessee.

Here he is again.

We beat them in 2011, which was year 2 for him.

The track record:

Here he is again.

The 2012 Tennessee team must have quit on Dooley early and often since we lost in week 3,5,6,7,8,10 and 11. We were never going to be great with that defense.

We didn't play Cincinnati in Butch's third year (2012) we played them in 2011. That Tennessee team was never going to be great either. In 2011 we lost in week 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

In Butch's year 3 at Cincinnati they lost to Toledo, Louisville and Rutgers. Louisville won the Big East in 2012 not Cincinnati.

Last edited:
Butch Jones needs a good year for 2015, because he's lost more than he's won since arriving in Knoxville, Not all that's on him however, but he needs to show he can coach and win against the better teams.

Butch Jones needs a good year for 2015, because he's lost more than he's won since arriving in Knoxville, Not all that's on him however, but he needs to show he can coach and win against the better teams.

I agree.

Thinking back to when Butch was first hired, many people, including myself, said "he looks like a great game day coach with very disciplined teams. I'm not worried about the coaching, I'm worried about the recruiting."

Here we are a few years later saying the opposite. Trying not to be over the top with it, but I expect the team to take a strong step forward now that talent is finally evening out.

Reactions: 2 people
There is a caveat however. Both Central Michigan and Cincinnati were in good standing program wise thanks to Brian Kelly.

Butch took over a moribund program. He won conference titles in year three but he still needs a little more time to really compete for conference championships.

If he slightly overachieves this year, he's in Atlanta (and according to some, if he just manages expectations he's in Atl) That's competing for conference championships. I'd say winning it this year is a long shot, but competing for it is not out of the question whatsoever and should be expected. No more room for excuses starting this year. The talent level has significantly risen and the gap has closed tremendously. Time to see if Butch can coach.

If he slightly overachieves this year, he's in Atlanta (and according to some, if he just manages expectations he's in Atl) That's competing for conference championships. I'd say winning it this year is a long shot, but competing for it is not out of the question whatsoever and should be expected. No more room for excuses starting this year. The talent level has significantly risen and the gap has closed tremendously. Time to see if Butch can coach.

This. Time to see if Butch is really the man. He has done a dang good job of recruiting so I'd love to see him "pay the gametime bill" so to speak. We need a couple of big wins this year to prove the Iowa/USCjr games aren't just outliers. GBO!!

The track record:

His second year 3 was in 2012, when he went 9-3. Ties for conference championship, Later hired by Tennessee.

Here he is again.

Already have rooms booked in the Atlanta Omni.

The track record:

Here he is again.

Solid and comforting post IMO

I don't think he leaves. This is his place now. If he finds championship success, he'll coach till he retires

The time period for coaches doing that is over. Coaches (especially under 60) are all mercenaries looking for new opportunities. Never think otherwise.

VN Store

Back