North says sophomore struggles 'behind me'

kamoshika

Physically, North is Tennessee's most impressive receiver, and his large frame should make him a reliable target for quarterback Josh Dobbs, whether it's over the middle of the field on third down or in the red zone on a fade pattern.

He appears to be sharpening the mental side of his game as well.

"I give Marquez a lot of credit," Vols coach Butch Jones said. "He tried to fight through some nagging injuries, and he's worked really hard to get himself back. The thing I like about him right now is he's become a very good student of the game.

"He's always asking the question why, he's always asking for extra help, he's always asking for an extra set of eyes. 'Coach, how's this?'

..."He's really, really committed himself to the football intelligence part of it."

Tennessee receiver Marquez North says sophomore struggles 'behind me' | Local News | Times Free Press

Reactions: 8 people
North, Pearson, Pig, Malone, Williams, Croom, Smith, etc. Dang Dobbs, just close your eyes and sling it.

Reactions: 10 people
I really hope he's right because I'd love to see him break out this season.

Reactions: 1 person
I felt like North disappeared at times last season, and I don't mean the games he was out hurt. The nagging injuries and lack of people pushing him for his #1 spot were probably contributors to that. A healthy North being pushed by better competition behind him could really be a huge weapon.

All of the practice notes, hype and new talent have me really excited for this season. This is worse than waiting on Christmas as a kid!

So we have three WRs at 6'3'' or taller - North, Malone, and Croom, and they are all healthy..... Don't think the other SEC DB coaches haven't taken note of this....Dobbs should have a field day with this... line up in a three set and just throw it up... TD

I am going to pay special attention to him during the Florida game or with any other team that has physical DB's. He has the potential to be a first day pick and I think that he will be much better this year, but I don't want to see any opposing corners making him their b!tch. He is 6' 3", weighs about 220, and runs like a deer. That's HIS ball in the air and woe unto the unfortunate soul that tries to prevent him from getting it....at least that should be his mind set. :rock:

Reactions: 2 people
So we have three WRs at 6'3'' or taller - North, Malone, and Croom, and they are all healthy..... Don't think the other SEC DB coaches haven't taken note of this....Dobbs should have a field day with this... line up in a three set and just throw it up... TD

5....add Pearson and Jennings. Each of those guys still needs to get much better at getting off press coverage and creating separation. They're all physical studs who have to get better with their techniques.

Great to see North ready to go, he can be great.

Does anyone have details on why Croom is not practicing? I have missed the explanation if it's out there.

Does anyone have details on why Croom is not practicing? I have missed the explanation if it's out there.

The only tidbit I have is from Butch's presser, saying it is nothing long term and they are holding him out for precautionary reasons due to his surgery.

Reactions: 3 people

i asked the same thing Friday and was told it was precautionary Knee... maybe a tweak....

Croom is always hurt it seems, doubt he will contribute much unless he can remain healthy.

This is what the wags were saying about Montario Hardesty early in his time here. Nobody can contribute much if they cannot remain healthy. :shades:

Croom is always hurt it seems, doubt he will contribute much unless he can remain healthy.

As long as he makes another clutch play like he did late against South Carolina, I really don't care if he contributes very much this year. Just be clutch when needed.

None of our guys (minus Pig) have shown the ability to get open. This is the year our WR coach needs to earn his paycheck. Veteran o line, qb and receivers. Barring a rash of injuries, there should be no excuses.

he didnt really struggle. He just got hurt.

Yes, he was hurt. But, he DID struggle too. I'll explain.

North MUST get mentally beyond high school, where he could simply out-run everyone. He can't do that now; consequently, he struggles getting off the line of scrimmage.
In high school, he simply ran by people. He can't do that in the SEC. Also, he consistently got jammed at the line of scrimmage by only average cornerbacks. If he's to be a superior receiver, he CANNOT allow that to happen.

He has superior ball skills, which is why he's "always open"...that it, just throw him the ball and let him go get it. HOWEVER, North needs to be able to get more separation between him and his defender, and to do that he MUST improve on being more physical on the line of scrimmage and upgrading his technique against corners who jam him.

It's nice to have depth. First time I've felt this way about the receiving group since Da'rick was kicked off...

VN Store

Back