2015 VolNation Blog Entry #1: Defensive Line Options

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
So for the next four weeks, I'm going to do a "blog" like lead up to the regular season with some of my overall thoughts on the season. It probably won't be an everyday thing, but I might do two entries on a day. The first thing I wanted to talk about was the defensive line, so we will get started.

When you think of past Tennessee football teams that were successful, the one constant is solid defensive line play. It's a staple in the SEC. You must have a good defensive line in order to compete and win in the South. Take Missouri the last two years. They've had inconsistency at Quarterback. Their offensive line hasn't produced NFL talent. They don't have big time skill players at wide out or in the defensive backfield. But they have absolutely dominated with their front four and it has led them to consecutive SEC championship appearances. If you have a very good defensive line, you will win games.

When I look at Tennessee this year, their strength is the defensive front. Butch Jones has recruited this position probably harder than any other one, and Steve Stripling has coached them up very well. Derek Barnett is a future All-American. Khalil McKenzie (while only a freshman) has first round talent written all over him. Curt Maggitt is a dominant speed rusher. Danny O'Brien and Owen Williams provide quality experience. Corey Vereen can become a very good, complete defensive end. If you ask my opinion, this is the best Tennessee defensive line since 2004 (that defensive line had five NFL players). The scary part is that next year is going to be better. However, that is getting ahead of ourselves

While looking at this position, the thing I'm most excited about is how many options John Jancek can run out. Tennessee usually has had to play their four best defensive linemen all the time because of the lack of depth. They struggled with this at defensive tackle last year. This year, Tennessee can trot out different looks and keep everyone fresh. Derek Barnett will probably be the only three down linemen in the rotation and that's a good thing (I think Curt Maggitt will play some linebacker this year, although he will play defensive end in passing downs). Here are five different looks the Vols can show this years with their depth.

1st down against power run teams

Opponents to use this front against: Arkansas and Georgia

SDE- Derek Barnett
DT- Danny O'Brien
DT- Khalil McKenzie
LDE- Corey Vereen

This is a look you will see often. Vereen is a little better at run support at DE than Maggitt, and you can move Maggitt to the Sam in spots like this. O'Brien isn't a stud, but he's a solid space eating run stuffer. Adding the 330 pound Khalil McKenzie will make it incredibly hard for teams to run up the gut against Tennessee, especially if you can find a consistent Mike Linebacker. Tennessee needs to contain the edge better with their ends, and I think this year they will improve. Vereen is a pass rusher first, but the more he improves against the run, the more he will play.

3rd down and long

Opponents to use this against: Any of them

SDE- Curt Maggitt
DT- Kyle Phillips
DT- Derek Barnett
LEO- Chris Weatherd

SPEED KILLS. Imagine having to deal with Curt Maggitt and Chris Weatherd coming off the edge on passing downs with Barnett in the middle. You can move Barnett to the inside and let him use his athleticism to dominate guards. Also, Phillips can fly by any guard trying to block him and while he needs to get stronger, you can have him standing up and rush up the B or C gap while Barnett takes up the middle. Phillips can also cover for draws and screens with his speed. Weatherd is a very good pass rusher and Jancek has said he will play on third downs. This will also free up Maggitt from double teams with Barnett taking up space in the middle.

1st down pass rush

Opponents to use this against: Oklahoma and Kentucky

SDE-Derek Barnett
DT- Owen Williams
NG- Shy Tuttle
LEO- LaTroy Lewis

Lewis does a nice job containing the edges, and he has improved against the run too. When you need a pass rush on first down, I really think he can provide a lift. Shy Tuttle provides meat at 315 and has a quick first step that can play on first down. I also really like him paired with Owen Williams, both guys with athleticism at defensive tackle.

2nd down play action territory

Opponents to use this against: Florida and South Carolina

SDE- Derek Barnett
DT- Owen Williams
NG- Khalil McKenzie
LEO- Kyle Phillips

With McKenzie, you have a true playmaking run stopped at defensive tackle, which means you can have more speed on your defensive front to watch for play action. Phillips can use his speed to get a pass rush with McKenzie in the middle. Owen Williams isn't a star, but he provides a nice pass rush, and with McKenzie beside him, he can go after the quarterback more on situations on 2nd and 7 where a play action can be used.

FRESHMAN FURY

Opponents to use this against: Bowling Green, Western Carolina, North Texas

SDE- Kyle Phillips
DT- Shy Tuttle
NG- Khalil McKenzie
LEO- Austin Smith

All four of these guys are true freshmen and will play. All of these guys are excellent athletes for their position and all of them could become starters in the next two years. Smith has been getting a lot of praise this offseason and while he can play any of the linebacker positions, he might be best suited for a Curt Maggitt LEO hybrid role. Tuttle and McKenzie will be dominate up front at defensive tackle, and Phillips is a future NFL player. I doubt we see this very often, but hopefully in blowouts Butch can have a little fun and show VolNation the future at defensive line.

Reactions: 12 people
So many words!!! Tl; dr

:)

J/k Z, very well done. Look forward to more of these. Thanks for taking the time

Excellent post Z ...

(Synopsis) 3 Big things on the DL that should make for serious improvement:
#1 More raw physicality
#2 More options for DC to formulate desired mix
#3 More bodies means DB, CM, nor any interior lineman plays too many snaps

Pumped!

We will need more beef against Arkansas. 3 d-line, 2 ends and 3 backers. DB's on an island. Put Mckenzie on Skipper!!

Reactions: 1 person
Very well written. I totally agree. We not only have elite talent now across the D-line, but also quaity depth. Best we've had in over a decade like you said.

VN Store

Back