Praise for Kyle Phillips

Fingers

Haven't seen much discussion on Phillips. Sounds impressive.

“We watched on film a couple days ago, Kyle Phillips was running and chasing the ball down like 60 yards, and he probably ran a four-flat sixty,” Wolf said. “I mean, he was moving. He looked like a wide receiver. We’ve got defensive ends that can really run, and one of those young guys (Phillips) can fly.”

Ethan Wolf

Earlier this week, on a go-route pass to Alton 'Pig' Howard that Howard gathered in, Phillips was on the backside of the play. Howard is streaking into the clear and out of nowhere, Phillips chases into the frame. Phillips didn't make the tackle the way that Barnett disrupted Devrin Young a year ago, but it was an entirely different play. Young had taken a swing pass and Barnett peeled back to catch him downfield. Howard had gathered a downfield pass and thought he was into the clear until Phillips came nipping at his heels. It left multiple coaches on both sides of the ball gushing about the play --- both from the skill and the effort. And one in the program plainly stated this week, Phillips is a freak.

Hubbs

Reactions: 49 people
Who would have thought a 5* DE would be an afterthought.

Pumped about the depth and talent we're seeing so far.

Reactions: 9 people
It's good to have so many good players to talk about...that we don't cover them all...

And just to think...there might be a couple/few who come out of nowhere to pleasantly surprise. Good stuff!

Reactions: 1 person
Kyle Phillips may be a 6* in the future....Vol's gonna rock very soon

I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic about this season but it's becoming more and more difficult to not go full speed ahead on the hype train. Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
Lol Alabama who.

I was watching an Alabama replay the other day and they were going on about their depth at DL. Tennessee will be giving them a run for their money the next few years.

D line is where we have been lacking the last decade. So glad we're getting the depth and talent again

2016 DL: Phillips, KMAC, Tuttle, Barnett
2017 DL: Phillips, KMAC, Tuttle, Taylor/Gooden/Butcher

Unreal!!

Reactions: 3 people
DE is set for for the next few years, but we still need a few more DT's after this year for the rotation so we don't wear down... But it's impressive seeing as how one of the reporters was talking about how the DE's as a whole slimmed down, except Kyle Phillips, who seemed a lot bigger... And he still has this kind of speed? Oh the humanity...

Reactions: 2 people
DE is set for for the next few years, but we still need a few more DT's after this year for the rotation so we don't wear down... But it's impressive seeing as how one of the reporters was talking about how the DE's as a whole slimmed down, except Kyle Phillips, who seemed a lot bigger... And he still has this kind of speed? Oh the humanity...
If we can pick up a good DT in the 2016 class like say a Derrick Brown then DT would be good but I agree that we need now depth at DT

We have ...

Obrien
Tuttle
Williams
McKenzie
Vickers
Saulsberry
Picou
Moseley (in case of injury)

Every one of those (outside Picou who is unknow so far) is an SEC quality DT. Sualsberry is going to be limited on reps. Moseley will be waiting over there in case we get 2+ injuries (God forbid) IMO. Picou will most likely get PT and may be in the regular mix depending on his development.

We are not deep at the position, but with Mixon and Folger, we have some backups in case of desperation. Very excited about this group due not only to the 2 freshmen, but b/c of the development of the upperclassmen. Best group we've had in a loooong time.

Reactions: 2 people
Beginning this season, we will have the ability to re-establish the line of scrimmage on each snap. In Neyland, this equates into a whole lotta orange, two yards deep at the snap of the ball. Have not had this ability with any sustainability & frequency since the late 90's (early '00's).
It is going to allow our backers and perimeter guys to play aggressive. This is going to get fun again real fast.

I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic about this season but it's becoming more and more difficult to not go full speed ahead on the hype train. Go Vols!

I'm the sAme way. But, not to be overly negative, I remember how I and seemingly the entire vol nation became so over hyped about the ut/uf game only to be let down.

I pray we do rise above the let downs.

It's good to have so many good players to talk about...that we don't cover them all...

And just to think...there might be a couple/few who come out of nowhere to pleasantly surprise. Good stuff!

Exactly! I have heard more than a couple of the so called experts saying the defensive line is where they think we will lack. When I look at what we have I really believe there will be some very surprised talking heads very early in the season!

I am one to slow the brakes on all the hype we have been hearing about the number of wins we will have this year. However, when I look at all the positions and all the players we have at those positions, it is difficult to find an area where we are lacking options to fill them.

I have no idea how many we win this year but this is the first time in many years that we have a good chance to win almost every game! That is a good feeling!

VN Store

Back