How important is the MLB as an impact player in this defense???

BruinVol

Looking back on last year AJ was as dominant as a tackler numbers wise as I can Recall.

It appeared the defense was centered around the mlb making plays

However once he was lost the MLB essentially was nonexistent when it came to racking up tackling numbers but it also could be argued that the defense played it best two games at Vandy and in the bowl game.

That brings me to the question. Can this defense be an elite one without a MLB playing at an elite level???

I am hoping that the defense doesnt have to be centered around the MLB because I think it is going to be the weakest position on defense regardless of who wins the job.

When I play NCAA I always blitz with the MLB so I'd say its pretty important.

Reactions: 6 people
I don't think the MLB has to be dominate in UT's current defense.
He needs to know how to line up the other players and be at least an average MLB physically.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure our system in our system the WLB (JRM) is meant to have the lion's share of he tackles (though really, it depends on the type of scheme we're playing against).

We still need a solid MLB who can make plays and stuff runs up the gut though.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think the MLB has to be dominate in UT's current defense.
He needs to know how to line up the other players and be at least an average MLB physically.

This is my hope and the last 2 games of last year seem to point that way. However those two teams weren't very good at all on offense so not sure how much those games tell us

MLB is usually the quarterback of the defense. There's a ton of responsibility. But I think all you need is someone to make the right reads and not miss tackles. IMO defensive back is the most important pos on defense.

Reactions: 2 people
Just has to be serviceable. Offenses are gonna have to get to the edge vs our DLine. And we all know AJ was not a speed demon.

I'm afraid team 119 may have to mix and match this year to try and find the answer for the loss of such an important leader at MLB.....replacing AJ Johnson the teams leading tackler will be a tall task indeed and probably won't happen......you think?

I think Bynum will be the starter and have a solid year, maybe not put up numbers like AJ but will be effective. I also think they will have a good rotation and have different guys in depending on passing situations etc. I'm not that concerned that it will be a weak spot for the defense. Also having a strong D line will help the MLB a lot.

Last edited:
Despite his pure, raw physical presence, was the majority of AJ's dominance a result of many hours spent in the film room or just his innate instincts to be in the right place once the ball snapped? I'm unsure whether he was know for being a film junkie, but I would say MLB success comes from preparation and memorization of opposing team formations.

I want to see a head hunter at MLB, one that has a nose for the football and loves to hit you in the mouth and that can cover sideline to sideline.......too bad it's so very hard to find these smart, athletic, speedy headhunters......I'm sure Butch is searching desperately to find an answer, aren't you?

I don't see any one taking charge at MLB, as of yet, but someone must step up....Colton Jumper would make a great success story for a walkon, but it is also very, very scary to have a walkon comanding your defense in the SEC, yes?

I don't see any one taking charge at MLB, as of yet, but someone must step up....Colton Jumper would make a great success story for a walkon, but it is also very, very scary to have a walkon comanding your defense in the SEC, yes?

It won't matter if he's a walk on if he can do the job. I think maggit will most likely be the commander anyways.

Good play at defensive tackle will help the MLB immensely. I'm interested to see what the practice notes say about the position today. With it being the 1st day in pads and all.

Reactions: 4 people
The MLB position is more important from the mental aspect than anything. He is responsible for making sure everyone is lined up properly. I don't think it will be a weak link as some have suggested. We have plenty of talent at the position. one of these guys will take command of the mental aspect and emerge as the guy. We'll be fine.

Looking back on last year AJ was as dominant as a tackler numbers wise as I can Recall.

It appeared the defense was centered around the mlb making plays

However once he was lost the MLB essentially was nonexistent when it came to racking up tackling numbers but it also could be argued that the defense played it best two games at Vandy and in the bowl game.

That brings me to the question. Can this defense be an elite one without a MLB playing at an elite level???

I am hoping that the defense doesnt have to be centered around the MLB because I think it is going to be the weakest position on defense regardless of who wins the job.

the most important aspect of the MLB position is making the calls from the bench and making the checks and adjustments of the defense to what the offense is doing. the tackling numbers will come but if the MLB struggles with the knowledge things the whole defense can be compromised.

the most important aspect of the MLB position is making the calls from the bench and making the checks and adjustments of the defense to what the offense is doing. the tackling numbers will come but if the MLB struggles with the knowledge things the whole defense can be compromised.

Wouldn't it be possible to pass the responsibility of getting the calls from the bench to JRM instead??

Take a little pressure off the inexperienced guy.

I know the checks likely have to remain the mlb responsibility but the other I would think could change

Last year AJ performed very well sideline to sideline, his speed improved greatly....was a force

I won't deny he was much improved sideline to sideline last season. But do you agree offenses will have to look more to the edges vs our DLine?

Wouldn't it be possible to pass the responsibility of getting the calls from the bench to JRM instead??

Take a little pressure off the inexperienced guy.

I know the checks likely have to remain the mlb responsibility but the other I would think could change

This is what my earlier comment was kind of getting at. I know, I didn't say it though.

VN Store

Back