RDA IV: What's His Impact?

TheBigOne10

FU Money
Alright my Volgregation, I was just thinking about a player that seems to be a little overshadowed or lost in the shuffle of things early on in camp. I think Abernathy IV could be a solid contributor in certain situations on offense and a potential weapon in the kick or punt return game this fall. I know he was a pretty dynamic player at Cincy, and remember him being very fast and changing directions very well. I was just curious as to what y'all think as far as how he will be utilized this Fall? I'll hang up and listen. Go Vols!

fits perfectly. complete change of pace from the other guys and hes electric. Already knows the offense. Good special teams player. They used to throw to him alot out of the backfield at Cincy too. He killed people on RB screens.

Reactions: 5 people
fits perfectly. complete change of pace from the other guys and hes electric. Already knows the offense. Good special teams player. They used to throw to him alot out of the backfield at Cincy too. He killed people on RB screens.

I just get the impression he is very similar to the Rainey/Demps combo that used to absolutely torch us in space. I think he will be very difficult to tackle in space.

Reactions: 1 person
he has a darren sproles type game really. He gets a few carries throughout a game but he can really catch out of the backfield and play from the slot. He is dynamic in the return game. Im not saying he is sproles but thats the type of things he does. Compliments Jalen and alvin well.

Alright my Volgregation, I was just thinking about a player that seems to be a little overshadowed or lost in the shuffle of things early on in camp. I think Abernathy IV could be a solid contributor in certain situations on offense and a potential weapon in the kick or punt return game this fall. I know he was a pretty dynamic player at Cincy, and remember him being very fast and changing directions very well. I was just curious as to what y'all think as far as how he will be utilized this Fall? I'll hang up and listen. Go Vols!
He fills a need ... where? He's behind 2 RBs for sure maybe 3. Kickoff returns, difficult to replace young Berry in that duty. Punt returns I can see IF the idea is we keep Cam from getting blown up by somebody, but that's about it. My opinion is the staff and CBJ really like the young man simply setting him up for a shot to enter coaching after graduation, giving him a better resume.

$25,000 says RDAIV returns kickoffs his first game at Neyland.

He could very well be back there with Berry. Ev. Berry was impressive last year; he will be hard to unseat. I'd really like to see RDA return punts. Cam is great, but he doesn't need to take any hits, just give them.

I think we will need to see how the knee has rehab, he can be a dynamic player for Punter and Kickoff return (Coaching would like to keep Cam) off that position.

Kickoff going to be cool to see with Berry and RDAIV>>who do I kick to??

Edited
◾Missed most of the 2014 season with lingering heel/hamstring ailments
◾Moved from running back to slot receiver, appeared in Cincinnati's first two games, had three receptions for 26 yards and one rushing attempt for minus-5 yards for the Bearcats

Last edited:
We definitely need him be the main returner because we can't afford to lose star players to injury. I actually think Cam would probably be our best PR but I don't think he should.

He fills a need ... where? He's behind 2 RBs for sure maybe 3. Kickoff returns, difficult to replace young Berry in that duty. Punt returns I can see IF the idea is we keep Cam from getting blown up by somebody, but that's about it. My opinion is the staff and CBJ really like the young man simply setting him up for a shot to enter coaching after graduation, giving him a better resume.

Wrong.

Reactions: 3 people
I think we will need to see how the knee has rehab, he can be a dynamic player for Punter and Kickoff return (Coaching would like to keep Cam) off that position.

Kickoff going to be cool to see with Berry and RDAIV>>who do I kick to??

it was his heel and hes fine.

He's not playing meaningful time over Hurd or Kamara.

but he is playing with alvin and jalen. that was my point. i have no idea where you got that. i never even said anything like that. I said he compliments them (which he does). Can you read?

good chance all the new RBs play some.

$25,000 says RDAIV returns kickoffs his first game at Neyland.

Evan Berry is coming off a stellar year. Then you have RDAIV who has an impecible track record. Then you got Justin Martin looking like an all-world athlete. And of course the always reliable Cam Sutton.

We really haven't had this many guys with game-breaking speed competiting for the kick and punt return spots in a long time. Should one of the most fierce positional competitions at camp. The staff can't really go wrong on this one. Great talent across the board.

I think he will be a player we try to get the ball to in open space, and let him work.

Why can't he return kickoffs with Berry? That would be a ridiculous duo. I think he will have a much more significant contribution than you are anticipating.

Why can't he return kickoffs with Berry? That would be a ridiculous duo. I think he will have a much more significant contribution than you are anticipating.

He will. Compliments our other backs well. Knows the offense, Jones trusts him and hes a pretty good player. He will get time and he brings another element to our team. When Jones was talking about the speed level being higher in the backfield he wasnt talking about just Jalen and Alvin. He already knew what they had. Hes talking about RDA coming back, John Kelly and Joe Young.

Last edited:
If he has reliable hands, which from what I've seen he does, he will be electric on PR's with his speed.

He's a viable player that can return kicks and provide depth at the running back position. That was a certainty unlike the unknown with the true freshmen coming in. MOST importantly, he's bought into Butch's team mindset (enough to eagerly follow him to Knoxville) and can impart that to incoming teammates and help the returning players establish that. You can't just sign that out of high school.

VN Store

Back