ATHLON: Pump the Brakes on Joshua Dobbs and the 2015 Volunteers

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
The point here is two-fold, and it could be seen as a good news/bad news situation for Tennessee fans. The good news is that Dobbs is an undeniable athlete. His running ability does help with the offensive line woes and he has shown he can escape the pocket and pick up yards against capable defenses. However, the bad news is a truth that Vol fans must accept until proven otherwise. Dobbs is still a somewhat-erratic, inconsistent passer. While he may have electrified the Tennessee program last season, he still hasn’t shown that he can get it done throwing the ball against the big boys. Dobbs will have plenty of opportunities to prove his worth in 2015, but there are tall mountains to climb.

Sure, 10 wins is possible, but let’s pump the brakes until we see what Tennessee is really all about this year. It’s a good thing to have expectations. Tennessee’s expectations haven’t been this high in a long time. But with expectations, at some point comes a subsequent reality.

Pump the Brakes on Joshua Dobbs and the 2015 Volunteers | AthlonSports.com

Reactions: 24 people
I would agree. "Pump the brakes" should be our motto. I'm hearing way too much "SEC East champs" talk around here, and some of the more crazy posters seem to think we are playoff contenders with "one or two breaks" (*cough* Eddie Vol Halen*cough*).

Yeah we definitely have a shot at winning the East with a break here and there but I still think there is a little too much hype considering we haven't shown anything yet.

Reactions: 18 people
Been saying basically the same thing since the spring but people just want to put the cart before the horse. The same people saying we will win 10-11 games this year will be the first ones jumping on Butch if we don't.

Reactions: 19 people
I think our whole fan base needs to pump the brakes just a bit. Got a feeling there is going to be some disappointed fans.

Reactions: 6 people
Eight wins should be the floor. Above that depends on health, Dobbs' development, and OL improvements. The D that returns almost everyone and adds quality depth should be improved over a pretty decent unit last year.

I would even narrow the O questions to the passing game. The run game should be better than last year and solid. Can the WR's make plays? Can Dobbs throw with consistent accuracy and timing? Can the OL protect the passer?

Reactions: 5 people
I believe failure to be successful against the better teams on the schedule will not be Josh Dobbs fault!

Reactions: 1 person
I watched Dobbs in the SC game last year twice today and he made several throws that easily could have lost that game for us. If he isn't more consistent this year we will certainly do no better than 8 wins max.

I can agree with that. Teams are going to make him prove that he can throw the ball. His passing is my main concern with him. Has he ever completed a deep pass? Not being a smart butt, just asking.

Here's the thing about Dobbs and his passing, this isn't the NFL. Let's take a look at other athletic QBs that were better runners than passers: Dak Prescott, Nick Marshall, Bo Wallace, Maty Mauk, Johnny Football, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Pat White. We don't need Dobbs to be Peyton Manning, we just need him to complete >50% of his passes and knock out some big runs. Our defense should be much better this year which will mean we are going to spend the majority of the game running the ball. The athletes that will most determine our # of wins are Barnett, Maggitt, K-Mac, JRM, Sutton, Hurd, Kamara, & Robertson. If Dobbs is passing 30+ times a game then we're in trouble

Reactions: 13 people
That article nailed it. Dobbs struggles with accuracy and if he doesn't show improvement this year then we are in trouble.

Reactions: 2 people
Hasn't CBJ and CMD both mentioned that Dobbs has worked a lot on his passing over the offseason? Dobbs' passing looked to have improved in the Spring Game, to me.

True, it's yet to be proven at game-time, but we have reason to be hopeful and, if it is indeed improved, we should be a force this season.

Reactions: 3 people
Anyone going to mention Tee Martin? Not high expectations the year we won the NC and we did get a lucky break Vs Arkansas.

Edit: Didn't he set some kind of passing record in a game but was known as a runner?

Last edited:
Anyone going to mention Tee Martin? Not high expectations the year we won the NC and we did get a lucky break Vs Arkansas.

We aren't as talented as we were in 98 and we were preseason number ten that year so the expectations were definitely higher than they are now.

I have coached many years and trust me the improvement a player makes when he knows it is his job and does not have to look over his shoulder is amazing. Competition is great, but when there is no worry you go out in be yourself. I really noticed this in the skills competition when Dormady did good and Butch was like uh oh Mr. Dobbs and he was unflappable (I know just a spring practice competition). I truly believe Dobbs will be much improved this year, time will tell.

Lets take a page from Alabama's last NC - they had:

1) A DL that punished runners
2) Lock-down corners
3) Punishing 3-deep RBs
4) A "game-manager-QB" who helped you and didn't hurt you (throwing INTs)
5) 1 "go-to" WR
6) Special teams are special

If Dobbs is simply a more athletic/illusive "game-manager-QB" (which I believe he is) who scrambles for 30-40 yards a game (especially in key situations), we will be fine and probably sitting at >= 9-3 at season's end heading to a good bowl game.

We aren't as talented as we were in 98 and we were preseason number ten that year so the expectations were definitely higher than they are now.

We were also use to winning and that ranking reflected that. Where do we lack the talent other than depth?

We were also use to winning and that ranking reflected that. Where do we lack the talent other than depth?

Depth and experience are huge

Our offensive line was atrocious last year and I'm worried one year isn't enough to see a huge improvement.

Reactions: 1 person
Depth and experience are huge

Our offensive line was atrocious last year and I'm worried one year isn't enough to see a huge improvement.

So true. I see us competing for the East. With a little luck we could do better.

A long, long time ago -- back in the 90s when the only places to post were either a very primitive form of Gridscape or the CNN/SI message boards, a Gator fan made a comment before a UT-UF game in Knoxville saying that the difference between Tennessee's and Florida's crowds was that UF fans were "here's a beer, let's watch the Gators kick some ass" and Vol fans were "here's a Coke, let's hope the Vols don't lose." Ever since then, I've done my best to think on the positive end of the spectrum. Dooley did his best to rob me of that, but Butch has brought it back. I get that people want to measure expectations, but it's not my concern to be realistic. I don't care what they're ranked, I don't care what people say, there's a new beat in Knoxville and it's getting louder by the hour.

It's 2015. It's Butch. It's a new day. So here's a beer, and let's watch the Vols kick some ass.

Reactions: 32 people

VN Store

Back