Roster Updates (and some that aren't)

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Two recently-rumored changes, and other modifications as well, have hit the online roster:
  • Joc Bruce is no longer listed
  • Neither is Devaun Swafford :(
  • Devin Smith (RS Freshman walk-on QB) is no longer listed [dunno if this is significant long term; maybe he just took second summer session off. Anyone know Devin's situation for sure?]
  • Several freshman and sophomore walk-ons (and a RS Junior transfer WR from UVa) have been added
On the other hand, these rumored or expected changes have not hit, at least not yet:
  • Jauan Jennings is still listed at QB
  • No change to Von Pearson's roster status
  • Kyle Oliver is still on the roster
  • Preston Williams is still on the roster
  • Quay Picou is still not on the roster
Roster is now at 107

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Two recently-rumored changes, and other modifications as well, have hit the online roster:
  • Devin Smith (RS Freshman walk-on QB) is no longer listed [dunno if this is significant long term; maybe he just took second summer session off. Anyone know Devin's situation for sure?]
  • Several freshman and sophomore walk-ons (and a RS Junior transfer WR from UVa) have been added
On the other hand, these rumored or expected changes have not hit, at least not yet:
Roster is now at 107

Adrian Gamble also back at #84 after disappearing for a while

Adrian Gamble also back at #84 after disappearing for a while

Yeah, there are several guys who pop on and off the roster like that from time to time; Logan Fetzner is another example.

I don't know what the deal is with these guys, maybe they truly quit and rejoin a few times over their years at the University, or maybe there are more complicated rules for inclusion on the roster than I'm aware of, so they sometimes qualify and sometimes don't.

But yeah, I see these guys on-and-off-and-on that way. :)

Pearson and Williams' status of on the roster would not change unless their situations change.

CBJ or nobody from within the program has officially confirmed the departure of Oliver (that I've seen). They may help him find a new school, or they may just be slow with the roster update.

Last I heard on Picou, he expects to join the team and is still waiting on an academic hurdle. Might be a situation similar to Weatherd last year, in which he may still be able to join during camp, before the season starts. He's looking like a red-shirt if he is able to make it.

entrance score got flagged by the ncaa

His ACT score getting flagged won't eliminate him from the roster. He just has to retake the exam to prove his score was valid. Unfortunately, he won't play through that process.

Why would Preston Williams NOT be on the roster?

There are entire threads on each of the "not yet a roster change" entries, if you need background on them. But yeah, rumor is that Preston Williams' college eligibility is flagged for review by the NCAA based on suspect ACT/SAT score improvements.

None of the "not yet changed" entries have been confirmed by the coaches or AD's office. Then again, neither has the Joc Bruce departure, and that's a done deal.

BTW, one of my primary purposes in giving a roster update from time to time is "rumor control."

We've all heard that Preston Williams may be under eligibility review, that Juaun Jennings is switching from QB to WR (or S), that Kyle Oliver is gone, and that Von Pearson's return is imminent. But we've gotten none of that from the coaches or AD's office.

Is it all true? Three of the four? We just don't know.

And since Butch & Co. often say nothing publicly about the incidents (e.g., Joc Bruce departure), often the only official confirmation we get is when the roster updates.

So...I'm keeping an eye on the roster. :)

Reactions: 2 people
BTW, one of my primary purposes in giving a roster update from time to time is "rumor control."

We've all heard that Preston Williams may be under eligibility review, that Juaun Jennings is switching from QB to WR (or S), that Kyle Oliver is gone, and that Von Pearson's return is imminent. But we've gotten none of that from the coaches or AD's office.

And since Butch & Co. often say nothing publicly about the incidents (e.g., Joc Bruce departure), often the only official confirmation we get is when the roster updates.

Thanks for the updates.

Yeah, there are several guys who pop on and off the roster like that from time to time; Logan Fetzner is another example.

I don't know what the deal is with these guys, maybe they truly quit and rejoin a few times over their years at the University, or maybe there are more complicated rules for inclusion on the roster than I'm aware of, so they sometimes qualify and sometimes don't.

But yeah, I see these guys on-and-off-and-on that way. :)

Those guys are walk ons. I would suspect that they drop off the roster during the summer because they aren't enrolled in classes at the time. When they enroll for the fall semester they are added back.

There are entire threads on each of the "not yet a roster change" entries, if you need background on them. But yeah, rumor is that Preston Williams' college eligibility is flagged for review by the NCAA based on suspect ACT/SAT score improvements.

None of the "not yet changed" entries have been confirmed by the coaches or AD's office. Then again, neither has the Joc Bruce departure, and that's a done deal.

CBJ did confirm that Bruce was leaving the program a while back and they were helping him find a school. FWIW

I'm certain the Oliver thing is happening, but I've not seen anyone confirm it yet. Maybe they are just helping him get his ducks in a row before taking his name down.

Again, FWIW, Jones said Jennings will get some looks at other positions in Fall Camp. I don't think he said that Jennings is definitely being moved to WR, just that he'll get looks. So, not just a rumor.

Roster is now at 107

roster will be constantly changing (on the walk-ons) right up until school starts.. some will leave and others will be added.

I have noticed there are only two Long Snappers listed on the roster. At the O&W game there were at least two others, one was Will Bradshaw who had originally walked on as a QB (also played LS in HS) and had gotten moved to LS (he didn't try to hide the fact it wasn't his idea). There was also at least one more LS-can't remember his name but he had probably 15 family members there all with custom t-shirts made with his jersey number and name on them. He seemed VERY excited just to be there. I can't imagine him just walking away because he got bored.

I know 99% on VolNation don't care about the long snapper depth chart but I have been wondering about these guys and how the rest of the team was fairing similarly.

A couple of expected roster updates mentioned by Butch in press conference that just ended:

Reporter: "Kyle Oliver is still on the roster..."
Butch: "He should not be on the roster."

Butch: "Jauan Jennings will get reps at WR, and he will also get some reps at QB." [so maybe roster leaves him as "QB" though he's now more or less a multi-position athlete]

Butch: "There is no change to Von's status." [when asked if this was the kind of situation that might see him delaying re-enrollment to spring, he agreed it might be that kind of situation]

Butch was asked about Preston Williams, but didn't say anything new, just that we're waiting for the review/retest.

I didn't hear him mention Quay Picou...anyone else catch that?

Gamble being back is good.....it gives a little more depth at WR. He has some talent, certainly not at the level of the top-tier guys, but he gives some depth.

VN Store

Back