Is Tennessee in the playoffs this year with Ohio State's schedule?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Va Tech (7-6)
Hawaii (4-9 WAC)
N. Illinois (11-3 MAC)
Western Michigan (8-5 MAC)
Indiana (4-8)
Maryland (7-6)
Penn State (7-6)
Rutgers (8-5)
Minnesota (8-5)
Illinois (6-7)
Mich State (11-2)
Michigan (5-7)

Lose to Michigan State? Three of the four got in with one loss last year.

Aside from MSU they play one team that won more than eight games last year. And it's a MAC team.

Reactions: 1 person
well guys im old and senile so im going out on a limb here. I have been a vols fan since 1960 and watched them play a lot of games. this year they have the kind of schedule that will get them to the playoffs. the only two games im worried about is Alabama and ark remember ark in 98. they go 11-1 and play auburn in sec championship. ok that's it for me and if any one blames me ill deny saying this because im senile. GO VOLS

Reactions: 5 people
I'm not even worrue about Alabama. I'm worried about Ohio state in the championship game. They will be rested.

Reactions: 9 people
Va Tech (7-6)
Hawaii (4-9 WAC)
N. Illinois (11-3 MAC)
Indiana (4-8)
Maryland (7-6)
Penn State (7-6)
Rutgers (8-5)
Minnesota (8-5)
Illinois (6-7)
Mich State (11-2)
Michigan (5-7)

Aside from MSU they play one team that won more than eight games last year. And it's a MAC team.

I keep bringing this up to buckeye fans. They never understand. I tell them that YES they ran the table at the end of last year....but if they played in the SEC I am not so sure they get to that table.

This is the Strength of Schedule rankings at the end of the Reg. Season in 2014 according to Teamrankings.com

You will notice that the first 7 teams on the list are SEC teams. The only SEC team ranked behind Ohio St. at the end of the season was Candy and they were ranked 44th. Again, they are the champs and thats that. However, being able to get some easy wins several weeks in a row in the regular season is just not a luxury SEC teams have.

Strength of Schedule rank on 12/1/2014

Rank
1 Auburn
2 Arkansas
3 Mississippi
4 Alabama
5 LSU
6 Miss State
7 Georgia
8 UCLA
9 W Virginia
10 Texas A&M
11 TX Christian
12 Kansas St
13 Stanford
14 Texas
15 Florida
16 Oklahoma
17 Utah
18 Missouri
19 Minnesota
20 GA Tech
21 Kansas
22 Arizona
23 Tennessee
24 Oklahoma St
25 Wash State
26 Texas Tech
27 Kentucky
28 Arizona St
29 Baylor
30 Colorado
31 S Carolina
32 Washington
33 USC
34 Nebraska
35 California
36 Oregon St
37 Oregon
38 Iowa
39 Iowa State
40 Notre Dame
41 Michigan St
42 Ohio State

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yes. Only game that would remotely be in question is Michigan State and its at home. 11-1 at worst. Then head to the championship game and play someone like Wisconsin. Win that game and you're in the playoff.

the Big 10 is ridiculously weak as a conference.

Yes. Only game that would remotely be in question is Michigan State and its at home. 11-1 at worst. Then head to the championship game and play someone like Wisconsin. Win that game and you're in the playoff.

the Big 10 is ridiculously weak as a conference.

Yet Bama and Oregon disagree

Reactions: 3 people
Va Tech (7-6)
Hawaii (4-9 WAC)
N. Illinois (11-3 MAC)
Indiana (4-8)
Maryland (7-6)
Penn State (7-6)
Rutgers (8-5)
Minnesota (8-5)
Illinois (6-7)
Mich State (11-2)
Michigan (5-7)

Last years records are irrelevant so who knows. A few of these teams will be markedly better this year.

Yes. I even had this conversation with a friend of mine (for an OSU fan, he's a decent guy). He didn't respond when I broke it down like this:

(for reference purposes, the Big 10 East is OSU, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers, Michigan, Penn State and Indiana. Big 10 West is Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern and Purdue. You oughta know the teams in the SEC, LOL.....)

Wait.......this game could actually be kinda fun. Let's take a random team from each division (can't pick the team you're a fan of) and put them in the same division, other conference. I'll start.

South Carolina from SEC East to Big 10 East. I can see a 5-2 conference record (losses to OSU and MSU). Just for shiggles, let's make it like the SEC where you play two teams from the other division every year. Let's say that they play Nebraska and Illinois. I think that USC would win close against Nebraska and curbstomp Illinois for a 7-2 conference record.

Auburn from SEC West to Big 10 West. That's a 6-1 conference record to start off with, I seriously can't see them losing to anyone but Wisconsin and even that's a bit of a reach (yeah, yeah I know.....Outback Bowl). Two teams from the Big 10 East, let's say OSU and Rutgers. 1-1 for an 8-2 conference record.

Maryland from Big 10 East to SEC East. 3-4 is a best case scenario, tbh, with wins against Kentucky, Vanderbilt and I could see them pulling one out against Florida. Two division games are A&M and Ole Miss. 0-2 for a 3-6 conference record.

Iowa from Big 10 West to SEC West. I have a lot of respect for Kirk Ferentz, but this would be a slaughterhouse. I see one win in the West for them, and that's Mississippi State. Their two division games?? Georgia and Kentucky. 2-7 conference record.

I gave credit where credit is due and didn't pick Tennessee for any of the OOC games. I think it would be quite interesting if you could do one of these, and we can see what your outlook is on it."

Well Franklin is at Penn State and Butch found a way to lose to him twice with a better team. Va Tech's d-line would shred our o-line, their d-line this year will be a lot like Mizzou's last year. MSU is an all around good team and has a legit shot at making the playoffs. Harbough at UM has a shot for an instant turn around. So in the end I think we would lose 3 of those 4. So our record would be 9-3 instead of probably 8-4 this year.

Well Franklin is at Penn State and Butch found a way to lose to him twice with a better team. Va Tech's d-line would shred our o-line, their d-line this year will be a lot like Mizzou's last year. MSU is an all around good team and has a legit shot at making the playoffs. Harbough at UM has a shot for an instant turn around. So in the end I think we would lose 3 of those 4. So our record would be 9-3 instead of probably 8-4 this year.

Butch has not lost to Vandy twice. He is 1-1. And I would disagree he had a more talented squad in the game he lost.

Reactions: 5 people
What does Ohio State's schedule have to do with whether the vols make the playoffs? This is giving OSU way too much credit in assuming they are going to win all of those games. Plus, aren't there 4 spots in the playoffs. So, how does OSU making the playoffs keep the vols out of it?

Finally, the most important point, we won only 2 noteworthy games last year against rather questionable teams. Iowa was no powerhouse from a mediocre conference. SC was only 11th out of 14 teams in the conference. We are getting a little ahead of ourselves it seems like to me.

Reactions: 2 people
What does Ohio State's schedule have to do with whether the vols make the playoffs? This is giving OSU way too much credit in assuming they are going to win all of those games. Plus, aren't there 4 spots in the playoffs. So, how does OSU making the playoffs keep the vols out of it?

Finally, the most important point, we won only 2 noteworthy games last year against rather questionable teams. Iowa was no powerhouse from a mediocre conference. SC was only 11th out of 14 teams in the conference. We are getting a little ahead of ourselves it seems like to me.

Brake pumper ^^^

And yes, UT is going to the playoffs with this schedule. We wouldn't lose one game except maybe MSU. If we beat them, we go to the Big 10 title game and a win there puts us in playoffs as a 4 seed.

Eddie Vol Halen said we're in with our schedule...just saying

Unless your referencing something else entirely, I'm pretty sure he said that with some breaks we could possibly make the playoff this year. Far cry from saying we're in.

As for that pathetic excuse for a major conference, we could very well run that table. You cant underestimate how beneficial such a weak schedule is to a teams ability to finish the season strong.

I think they would, but one thing is for sure...OSU is definitely in the playoff with that cupcake schedule.

Unless your referencing something else entirely, I'm pretty sure he said that with some breaks we could possibly make the playoff this year. Far cry from saying we're in.

As for that pathetic excuse for a major conference, we could very well run that table. You cant underestimate how beneficial such a weak schedule is to a teams ability to finish the season strong.

Easier said than done.

I'll be happy if we can continue to improve. We haven't won 8+ games in 8 years.

Talk of running the table seems silly

You're just a basket of sunshine aren't you? LoL

The offseason is the enemy. Not Chatt town vol.

Ok I'll play along. I think we'd lose to MSU plus drop one we shouldn't. 10-2 and play in the BTCG against probably Wisconsin which could go either way. OTOH if you put OSU in the SECE against our schedule I say they go 11-1, possibly 12-0. The only potential loss I see is Alabama. They would get either a rematch with them or Auburn in the SECCG which would be a tossup either way. So no we don't make the playoff with their schedule, but there's a good chance they do with ours.

VN Store

Back