Can I just vent about the Sports Animal

Volngeorgia

This is going to be self indulgent, so you might want to stop reading right now if you hate these type of posts.

Each morning, while getting breakfast and doing bathroom stuff, I listen to the Swain event on my iPad.
He (for some reason that Stokes may explain here?) wasn't on this morning. Maybe technical problems?

So, I did something really stupid that I hadn't done in years. I turned in the Sports Animal, yeah, :loco: I know.
Anyway, first thing I do is hear Heather say that Jimmy Hyams is reporting the P.Williams ACT news.
After throwing my razor across the room and scaring the crap out of my dog, I listened to the grump, the lump, and the pump hoping they would go further into this story.
Did they? Of course not.
No talk about what this might mean to team, wr position, Jennings move, the wait on Von Pearson.
I actually listened thru an hour of high school football and women refereeing and coaching men.
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
You just got a breaking story from one of your own reporters, Hyams, about one of UT's most heralded incoming recruits, and, you don't talk about it??!!@ or have Hyams on to give details?

Sorry for the rant. Nobody to blame but myself for expecting anything more from those moronic maroons.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the Sports Animal. The only segments on there I really like are the Vince Ferrera Hour and occasionally I find Will West and Josh Ward enjoyable to listen to. But, even then Will West can go off on some pretty ridiculous tangents. It's not the greatest of sports radio.

Reactions: 1 person
I turned on that crap show after realizing the swain event wasn't on. I turned it off after ten minutes. I really don't like listening to them. Stokes!!! Maybe you guys could be more consistent. That channel is the only station I know of that takes days off without having someone else fill in. Thanks for effing up my Friday.

Reactions: 2 people
That morning show is awful. Doc is a stubborn old know it all who is never wrong, Jeff is too much of a homer for Tennessee and Ohio St. (How can you like UT and OSU) and won't touch anything controversial, and Heather is an idiot. I can't believe that enough people listen to that show for it to have been on the air as many years as it has?

Reactions: 5 people
I turned on that crap show after realizing the swain event wasn't on. I turned it off after ten minutes. I really don't like listening to them. Stokes!!! Maybe you guys could be more consistent. That channel is the only station I know of that takes days off without having someone else fill in. Thanks for effing up my Friday.

I could be wrong but I think that Swain and Stokes buy that air time. They are not employees of WVLZ. So, if they are independent contractors, that would explain why the national Yahoo sports show airs when Swain/Stokes are not on the air.
Maybe our friendly poster Stokes will see this and reply?

Knoxville sports radio has been horrible for awhile. The other station was better, but Ainges immaturity was annoying. I felt like I was listening to an 8 year old.

Reactions: 4 people
I enjoy Basilio, I know most on here think he's full of it and he is thats the point of the show. Its for entertainment purposes only and he's done well at it, he has some good guest on his show who provide excellent insight to Football and Basketball. Mickey Dearstone is a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Kentucky homer and hates all things male athletics at UT. I dont mind the sports page or josh and will they are both decent shows. Ainge was decent at times when he wasn't failing at trying to be funny, Chris Treece was decent radio. Swain provides some good insight but I could do without stokes sometimes, his humor and the fact he's always interrupting Swain and the guest on the show is flat out annoying. There is a new show coming but I'm not sure when it starts?

Maybe Hyams wasn't available in the short time you had the station on? Did you call and ask them to elaborate on the subject?

I'm not defending them at all but complaining about a station not discussing the news you want to hear is pretty weak. Especially since you voluntarily turned it on because the other one wasn't even able to broadcast.

i could be wrong but i think that swain and stokes buy that air time. They are not employees of wvlz. So, if they are independent contractors, that would explain why the national yahoo sports show airs when swain/stokes are not on the air.
maybe our friendly poster stokes will see this and reply?

image.png

I like the show. I listen to it every day. Looks like I'm by my self on that! But I like all the personality! And I also like Josh and Will. I find them very funny!

Maybe Hyams wasn't available in the short time you had the station on? Did you call and ask them to elaborate on the subject?

I'm not defending them at all but complaining about a station not discussing the news you want to hear is pretty weak. Especially since you voluntarily turned it on because the other one wasn't even able to broadcast.

I shouldn't have to ask the Vol networks flagship station to talk about major breaking Vol news.
It wasn't a short time that I listened after they broke it.
It was more than an hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
That was awesome. What makes it even better was that they had the caller Roger on the phone.

Somebody needs to post the link. It's Knoxville radio gold.

What exactly happened? I missed it cause I never listen to those guys, they're awful.

Quite frankly I like any sports show that will talk about the Vols. If one is talking about baseball or golf then I switch to another. I agree I really like Swain since he is more UT football oriented. I have always enjoyed Tony B. He is quite entertaining and I don't mind his homerism at all.

That was awesome. What makes it even better was that they had the caller Roger on the phone.

Somebody needs to post the link. It's Knoxville radio gold.

Please do because this is the first in hearing of this! And for the record, I haven't turned that show on in years and dont support the sponsors listed on the website

question for an out of towner wonder what is the best podcast / radio show i could listen to in the morning for vols talk/ sports talk?

I shouldn't have to ask the Vol networks flagship station to talk about major breaking Vol news.
It wasn't a short time that I listened after they broke it.
It was more than an hour.

So you did not call their call-in show and ask about the news?

On a side note, you take over an hour to get ready in the morning? You fancy or something?

question for an out of towner wonder what is the best podcast / radio show i could listen to in the morning for vols talk/ sports talk?

None of them are great but during the season I would go with the Swain Event. The have an app in the store and live stream as well as pod

So you did not call their call-in show and ask about the news?

On a side note, you take over an hour to get ready in the morning? You fancy or something?

In his defense they didn't take calls early in the morning back when I listened but that may have changed. It's been 5 years

In his defense they didn't take calls early in the morning back when I listened but that may have changed. It's been 5 years

Still doesn't explain him spending over an hour doing "bathroom stuff" :ermm:

VN Store

Back