Tennessee's Mt Rushmore.

It's a tough list to make. Atkins and Fulmer are both hard to leave off. Hard to disagree with the list in the article though.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, my Mt Rushmore would be this...

General Neyland
Pat Summit
John Ward
Philip Fulmer

I don't think you include players. Players come and go. Their time here at UT is short. 3-4 years simply isn't enough time to put together a body of work large enough to warrant being put on a Mt Rushmore type of monument.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I like the list. Probably would have left off Majors. Impossible to argue with the other 3 though.

Is anyone else excited to see if Barnett can break White's season sack and total sack records? If he keeps playing like he finished last season, he should get some accolades.

Mt. Rushmore has four presidents, the mountain on Rocky Top is large enough for five Vols. To that list of four, I agree that Doug Atkins needs to be there. He is a mountain all by himself.

Building off something said in a comment on the linked website...

...two Vols Mount Rushmores would be nice, facing each other across a green valley filled with bright orange wild daisies.

On the Coaches' Carving: Neyland, Summit, Fulmer, Majors.

On the Players' Side: Manning, Cafego, Atkins, White.

Would be totally awesome. Go Vols!

Reactions: 4 people
Well, my Mt Rushmore would be this...

General Neyland
Pat Summit
John Ward
Philip Fulmer

I don't think you include players. Players come and go. Their time here at UT is short. 3-4 years simply isn't enough time to put together a body of work large enough to warrant being put on a Mt Rushmore type of monument.

I don't think you can leave off Manning. He hasn't come and gone. He has built a legacy. His on the field accomplishments as a player at the collegiate level and in the pros is unrivaled. And his off the field representation of our program does more than most coaches for their programs. He is a true Vol for Life. And by gosh, he deserves to be on Vol Rushmore. :)

Reactions: 4 people
I think it should be the 5 most famous/influential Vols of All-Time in any sport

1. General Neyland (No Brainer)
2. Pat Summitt (All time winning coach; multiple NC's, revolutionized womens hoops)
3. Peyton Manning (Greatest QB in TN History, ambassador to the University, future College and Pro Football HoF Inductee)
4. Bernard King (Greatest hoops player in TN History, I believe on TN hoops player in NBA HoF)

Possible King replacements: Reggie W., Fulmer, Cafego, Atkins, A. Houston, T. Helton (probably MLB HoFer)
If it's all about football then obviously that's different but just the university as a whole.

I don't think you can leave off Manning. He hasn't come and gone. He has built a legacy. His on the field accomplishments as a player at the collegiate level and in the pros is unrivaled. And his off the field representation of our program does more than most coaches for their programs. He is a true Vol for Life. And by gosh, he deserves to be on Vol Rushmore. :)

He would certainly make the strongest case, and I'm all for erecting statues, naming streets/facilities after him, etc. But I just don't think any one player deserves to be on "Mt. Rushmore." Neyland, unquestionably. Summit, absolutely! Fulmer, definitely. They all won national championships and they all had long sustained success, moreso than anyone else at UT. I don't think those 3 could be argued against. However that 4th pick is an interesting one. That's why I chose John Ward because I believe he played the largest non-coaching/playing role in making UT sports so enjoyable for so long. He could paint a mental picture like no other! His contribution to making UT sports memorable cannot be measured!

I would say for athletes: Reggie White, Peyton Manning, Chamique Holdsclaw, Bernard King...............all four are College and PRO Hall of Famers

Reactions: 1 person

...two Vols Mount Rushmores would be nice, facing each other across a green valley filled with bright orange wild daisies.

the artful dodger over Cafego, other than that, maybe a debate with berry and white... berry was a two time all american, sec defender of the year and thorpe award winner as well as breaking some big time records...

As usual, like your thinking JP. Manning, Atkins and White are shoe-ins for players.....hadn't thought of Cafego...great 4th choice.

VN Store

Back