Vols Over-Ranked

it is interesting that one of the teams we could be replaced by is Cincinnati

"It would be safer to replace the Volunteers with one of Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati or another qualified option."

Seems like a fair ranking to me. A team loaded with talent and potential. All that awaits is the results. A little improvement from last year should have them ranked at the end of this year. Most people expect that improvement.

Reactions: 6 people
Seems like a fair ranking to me. A team loaded with talent and potential. All that awaits is the results. A little improvement from last year should have them ranked at the end of this year. Most people expect that improvement.

I agree. We aren't getting ranked because of previous years recruiting, performances, etc. We are ranked based on our perceived potential for this year

We have to perform on the field to get recognition.. It's a fair judgement.

Ended the season the way we should have and now we must build on that success.

Reactions: 4 people
We have to perform on the field to get recognition.. It's a fair judgement.

Ended the season the way we should have and now we must build on that success.

My problem is saying to replace UT with a team like VT, which lost 4 of their last 7 games last year.

Reactions: 5 people
I think over ranked. UT has not proven yet that they belong in the TOP 25, despite the hype.

Problems on the offensive line and defensive line. Dobbs has thrown almost as many interceptions as touchdowns. A bunch of highly rated wide receivers who have under achieved for whatever reason.

I think UT will be better this season, and I will jump with joy if they defeat Oklahoma, Georgia, and Arkansas.

Reactions: 7 people
I think over ranked. UT has not proven yet that they belong in the TOP 25, despite the hype.

Problems on the offensive line and defensive line. Dobbs has thrown almost as many interceptions as touchdowns. A bunch of highly rated wide receivers who have under achieved for whatever reason.

I think UT will be better this season, and I will jump with joy if they defeat Oklahoma, Georgia, and Arkansas.
Yep, I want them to prove it before they belong there. I want to see those big wins!

Reactions: 2 people
I was expecting 22-24, so not over-ranked. I think people are just waiting for us to prove it and we'll shoot up.

If you take what he said about Arky and just put Tennessee there that is exactly why we are ranked. " I can buy the Volunteers, because Butch Jones' bunch did take a substantial step forward during the second half of last season."

I agree. We aren't getting ranked because of previous years recruiting, performances, etc. We are ranked based on our perceived potential for this year

I'd say the bowl performance has quite a bit to do with it.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, well, ya know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

They'll be a thousand useless polls between now and kickoff. It will all play out on the field.

Reactions: 1 person
The "writer" could at least indulge us with actual reasons we might be overrated like he did the other teams. Stupid.

What cracks me up is the Cincinnati reference. I mean, they got a whopping one vote in the polls so obviously they require some consideration.

We can't really argue with his reasons for not liking UT since he didn't give any. That means all we can focus on is who he does like better (although he didn't give any reasons for why he liked any of them either) and see how UT compares.

Tennessee - 18 returning starters off a team that went 7-6 against the #3 strength of schedule in the country.

Virginia Tech - 16 returning starters off a team that went 7-6 against the #55 strength of schedule in the country.

Oklahoma State - 16 returning starters off a team that went 7-6 against the #32 strength of schedule in the country.

Cincinnati - 12 returning starters off a team that went 9-4 against the #102 strength of schedule in the country.

Does anyone want to pull the average recruiting ranking and see how UT holds up here? Seems like UT holds up pretty well versus his alternatives.

I feel like I've been pumping way too much sunshine this offseason but there are all kinds of reasons to think UT turns the corner this year.

Reactions: 16 people
I'd say the bowl performance has quite a bit to do with it.

Our performance specifically or in general pollsters use bowl performance as part of their rankig criteria.

Btw, Vols are 1-0 so far this year. :)

We finished the season winning 3 of 4 to become bowl eligible. Jack Slapped Iowa in the bowl. Bringing back just about everybody. We are not ranked because we've done much yet, we are ranked because we have the potential to do some big things this year. That's the story of just about every team from 20-25 in this poll.

I hope we are not ranked in the AP poll. I still feel like this team is over hyped. Not saying they will not be good. But I want this team to keep an edge. And feeling like their not getting any respect would keep that edge.

I can understand hesitation in regards to our ranking, but I think it's fair. The most ridiculous thing is the reasons. I immediately turned my brain off when he said Georgia was over-ranked and Missouri is a reason why. They have an unproven quarterback? That's your reason why? Then why the hell is Alabama #3 in the nation. They suffer from the exact same thing as Georgia, but Georgia actually has a better RB and a better DL/OL this year. And then he brings up Mizzou? Okay, Georgia smashed Missouri and Missouri was proven to be over-rated when they got demolished by Alabama in the title game. Georgia always loses some stupid games every year, but it's not because they aren't one of the Top 10 most talented teams. It's because of their coach.

And then comes the Tennessee part of the article. Arkansas and Tennessee had almost identical seasons with the small exception that Arkansas played a little better in the first half. But, on the other hand Tennessee has out-recruited Bielema all 3 years. So to say he can buy Arky but not Tennessee makes no sense. And then he talks about how he can buy the 5th best team in the West is #20? If you are going to replace us with someone that is understandable, we need to prove ourselves, but using Virginia Tech and Cincinnati as two "deserving" teams makes you look like an idiot. I'm just going to go ahead and assume he only thinks VT is deserving because of their sole win over OSU. Come on...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I hope we are not ranked in the AP poll. I still feel like this team is over hyped. Not saying they will not be good. But I want this team to keep an edge. And feeling like their not getting any respect would keep that edge.

I feel like, "no respect gives me an edge (or something to prove)" , is a sports cliche.

Isn't it just as possible that hype translate into confidence and that confidence gives them an edge?

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back