1971 Tennessee vs Penn State

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeN2c-iv7lc[/youtube]

The game was way before my time but was very fun to watch. The quality is top notch too.

Any fans in The Nation remember this one? It looked like Neyland was rocking that day.

Neyland definitely was rocking for that one. One of my all time favorite out of conference games! Paterno and all the hype of being undefeated comes to Neyland and gets whittled down to size. Penn State was highly ranked and favored. However back in those days, the 30 game win streak was questioned by newspapers/tv a little because of the caliber of competition that Penn State played at the time, kind of like an undefeated Boise State before they started to upgrade their regular season out of conference schedule. The rematch in 1972 was also a great one -- Neyland's first game under the lights.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, I remember that game. It was one of the most awesome experiences ever. Whooping Paterno and Franco and Mitchell. Doesnt get much better.

71 was a great time to be a Freshman at UT. :rock:

I can not reply due to the fact that I might incriminate myself :)

That video sure makes me feel even older. I just turned 62 and my 2nd grandchild is due in Aug. If only I'd known then what I know now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I can not reply due to the fact that I might incriminate myself :)

That video sure makes me feel even old. I just turned 62 and my 2nd grandchild is due in Aug. If only I'd known then what I know now.

How were we to know we were committing 20 felonies a day? LOL

Congratulations on the grandkids, got my first in December. What a blessing.

How were we to know we were committing 20 felonies a day? LOL

Congratulations on the grandkids, got my first in December. What a blessing.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy your grandchild as much as we have ours. Going to have 2 grandsons. Whew. It is true what they say about them being fun cause you can spoil them then send them home. LOL

The game was way before my time but was very fun to watch. The quality is top notch too.

Any fans in The Nation remember this one? It looked like Neyland was rocking that day.

sure I remember and it was explosive from the very beginning until the end.

‘twas a day intended to honor the Majors family and Bobby did not disappoint. He had a “a banner day . . . with 82 yards on two punt returns, one for a score covering 44 yards, and 113 yards on two kickoff returns.”

Reactions: 3 people
I was there. Fabulous day to be a Vol. I had been to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans the January before too. 20 years old in New Orleans, oh my.

I was there. Fabulous day to be a Vol. I had been to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans the January before too. 20 years old in New Orleans, oh my.

Me too. That New Orleans trip was amazing. And what was that beer in the Jetpacks at the Sugar Bowl. Hilarious.

Me too. That New Orleans trip was amazing. And what was that beer in the Jetpacks at the Sugar Bowl. Hilarious.

Being a 20 year old poor college student, my 3 memories, other than the game where we shellacked Air Force, are Pat O'brien's, Preservation Hall, and the Buck-Forty-Nine Steak House.

Back in 2000 I worked at the Ocean Course at Kiawah as a caddie and one day I remember meeting my group before heading out to the 1st tee and seeing a UT bag tag so I struck up a conversation with the man and it was Conrad Graham. Pretty cool.

This game was like the 1986 Sugar Bowl...no one gave Tennessee a chance & we kicked them up one side & down the other! Paterno whinned about it for years, then wouldn't play us the next year unless the game was at night, so we installed lights for the 1972 game and kicked their butts again. I was at that one!!

Back in 2000 I worked at the Ocean Course at Kiawah as a caddie and one day I remember meeting my group before heading out to the 1st tee and seeing a UT bag tag so I struck up a conversation with the man and it was Conrad Graham. Pretty cool.

One of my All-Time favorite Vols.

I was him on defense in my back yard as a kid

This was the last game of the year. You will notice that there are no lights on the stadium. They were installed after this game and before the next September.

The Vols opened the 1972 season against the same Penn State Nittany Lions in the first night game at Neyland.

I had the privilege of attending both games.

Some observations - Wow, half hour pregame. You would never see that today, except for playoff finals.

Would be good to see each starter introduced individually, rather than screw up the first possessions on TV like they do now.

ABC sent a bunch of their powerhitters to the game. When you only broadcast one game a week, that's what you do!

Stadium was grand, even with no upper deck and in the horseshoe shape.

Good views of the hill.

Announcer: "If you are watching in COLOR, Tennessee is in orange". Don't hear that anymore.

Edit:
It appears that the networks didn't have as much control over the timeouts as they do now. Was there such a thing as a TV timeout in 1971? I can remember when that was introduced and how painful it was to be in the stands (and still is). When I non-televised game was played, the flow of the game was so much nicer.

The next time they played Penn State, a new chunk of upper deck and LIGHTS!
Paterno was nervous about playing in the heat and would only agree to play that early in the year if it was a night game. Bob Woodruff scrambled to get the lights installed.

Last edited:
I saw this in person as my last home game as a senior at UTK and it was my favorite win in Neyland during those four years. Penn State was favored big. They were 10-0 with 15 straight wins and claiming they deserved to be number 1. PSU had the nations number 1 offense coming in scoring over 44 pts/game, but Tennessee's defense dominated them as well as our kicking game w Bobby Majors having a once per decade type game returning kick offs and punts. Vols not only go the upset, they romped PSU; they won their bowl and finished 10-2.

VN Store

Back