College Football 2015: 6 Potential Sleeper Teams

Our defense has as much potential as I've seen in a while. Can't wait to watch them play.

Reactions: 1 person
Can't wait for this season! Love this line-

"On defense: potentially dominant defensive line and solid secondary (two players on our Top 50 list). The raw material to compete now is there. This team fought for Butch Jones when it wasn’t."

College Football 2015: 6 Potential Sleeper Teams | The Big Lead

I try not to buy in to alot of the hype but I agree 100% about a dominant D-line. Maggitt and Barnett are just relentless coming off the edge. At Defensive Tackle, we have several guys that can clog the middle and free up our LB to make plays. Combine all of that with the fact that QB's don't really like to throw at #23. This group made huge strides last year and I expect them to be alot better. I am excited about this Defense!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I try not to buy in to alot of the hype but I agree 100% about a dominant D-line. Maggitt and Barnett are just relentless coming off the edge. At Defensive Tackle, we have several guys that can clog the middle and free up our LB to make plays. Combine all of that with the fact that QB's don't really like to throw at #23. This group made huge strides last year and I expect them to be alot better. I am excited about this Defense!!!

You diagnosed well, what we need from the DT's in running situations. But, since we are likely to see more passing and spread type situations, we need DT's that can lock up the middle and force double team blocks. This will allow those ends a good bit more freedom and make it that much more difficult for opponents to pick up blitzes.

As for Cam Sutton, don't be surprised if you see him lining up at Nickel back in the 4-2-5 set. If Justin Martin and Emmanuel Moseley are able to show that they can get the job done at corner, that makes our defensive backfield that much stronger.

Good article. I'd agree with most of those picks.

Happy to see Tennessee on this list, of course. However, I also agree about Michigan and Texas A&M. A&M has recruited a ton of defensive talent. It's just that the last DC didn't seem to know how to use it. With Sumlin's offense and a Chavis-run defense, A&M could end up being much better than expected. Though, still may take more than one season to fix the D.

I'm excited to see the defense as well, but I'm concerned about 2 positions. We're relatively inexperienced and unproven up the middle with a thin DT rotation and no named MLB at the moment. Gonna rely very, very heavily on 2 true freshmen DTs which is not optimal to say the least.

I'm excited to see the defense as well, but I'm concerned about 2 positions. We're relatively inexperienced and unproven up the middle with a thin DT rotation and no named MLB at the moment. Gonna rely very, very heavily on 2 true freshmen DTs which is not optimal to say the least.

We've got a 5 man rotation at DL this year as long as Tuttle is ready to go. That's more than last year! As far as MLB, we don't have a named starter yet, but there are a lot of possibilities with tons of talent. Could be Kirkland, JRM, possibly Bates. And if all else fails, Jumper could be a sleeper. It's a question mark - yes. But I don't think it's necessarily a concern.

Luckily we still have Owen Williams and O'Brien. Even though they weren't spectacular they were both solid at the DT position. Them along with the freshmen and I think we'll be just fine at DT.

Reactions: 2 people
We've got a 5 man rotation at DL this year as long as Tuttle is ready to go. That's more than last year! As far as MLB, we don't have a named starter yet, but there are a lot of possibilities with tons of talent. Could be Kirkland, JRM, possibly Bates. And if all else fails, Jumper could be a sleeper. It's a question mark - yes. But I don't think it's necessarily a concern.

Agree that it should be better than last year, which is positive. More numbers and overall talent for sure. Still concerned about 2 true freshman DTs and an inexperienced MLB (true freshman Kirkland, RSFr Bates or walkon Jumper) in the middle of our Defense. Just heard Hubbs expressing similar concern on 104.5 in Nashville. You and others may be all good with it and that's fine...on one level I get it and understand it. Me? I'm still a little concerned until we see what we actually have at those positions. I think if other teams we play had the exact same situations at those positions, we'd be saying we have a significant advantage matchup wise.

Last edited:

I wouldn't count out Bryant either. Also Bynum looked pretty solid at MLB in the bowl game. Like you said, we have plenty of options at the position.

Luckily we still have Owen Williams and O'Brien. Even though they weren't spectacular they were both solid at the DT position. Them along with the freshmen and I think we'll be just fine at DT.

Yeah, Obrien and Williams were serviceable last year, happy to have them back. But behind them we have Vickers who's brand new to the position and the 2 freshmen. Better than last year, but still very thin IMHO. The elite DLs in the SEC typically/historically have 5-6 experienced DT studs that they rotate. We're slowly getting there, just not there yet.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count out Bryant either. Also Bynum looked pretty solid at MLB in the bowl game. Like you said, we have plenty of options at the position.

Very true. Bryant could break-out this year. Tons of potential. Bynum is serviceable and would provide quality depth. He's not my vote for a #1 starter though. His ceiling isn't as high as the other options, IMO.

Yeah, Obrien and Williams were serviceable last year, happy to have them back. But behind them we have Vickers who's brand new to the position and the 2 freshmen. Better than last year, but still very thin IMHO. The elite DLs in the SEC typically have 5-6 experienced studs that they rotate. We're slowly getting there, just not there yet.

Our unknows at DT and MLB are potentially disastrous IF we fall behind early by a couple of scores against a power running team. A team like OU or Arky would be happy to eat clock and play smashmouth. They could pound the middle wearing down our thin rotation and exploiting our youth.

Very true. Bryant could break-out this year. Tons of potential. Bynum is serviceable and would provide quality depth. He's not my vote for a #1 starter though. His ceiling isn't as high as the other options, IMO.

I think it'll be between Bates and Bryant unless Kirkland just can't be stopped in camp.

Yeah, Obrien and Williams were serviceable last year, happy to have them back. But behind them we have Vickers who's brand new to the position and the 2 freshmen. Better than last year, but still very thin IMHO. The elite DLs in the SEC typically/historically have 5-6 experienced DT studs that they rotate. We're slowly getting there, just not there yet.

True, but by the end of the year I think those freshmen will be elite the same way Barnett was last year.

Reactions: 3 people
I am surprised that for me personally, I am now more excited to watch this defense play then the offense. The reason being, we know more or less what we are getting on offense. Dobbs will be solid, he will make some mistakes and overthrow a few balls which will be intercepted, but at the same time he will make a few plays with his legs that very few other QB's in the League can do. Our RB's will be potential stud and our WR's are always good.

On the other hand, our defense, one of our notoriously weak spots of year's past, now has the potential to be pretty solid and that interests me. I really can't wait to see if Barnett continues his dominance or whether he goes through a year of the sophomore slump after putting up such impressive numbers in 2014. I am also really interested to see just how good Khalil is. He seems college starter quality right now, but we still haven't seen him play 1 single snap. I really need to see if he is going to be as disruptive of a force as we all expect. And finally, I really am looking forward to seeing if Cam Sutton has the breakout year we know he is capable of, and FINALLY gets the national recognition he deserves.

I mean....really....is Cam Sutton not a Top 42 DB??? That was just egregious.

From listening to Swain, Hubbs, Mathews, RTI guys, these are the "evaluations" of our MLB options...

Bynum- biggest strength is his understanding of the defense and how to get players lined up, which is huge. However, is slow and lacks athletic ability that coaches are demanding at the position.

Bryant- stud run stuffer, hardest hitter on team. Does he have enough speed to play sideline to sideline? Still struggling with the mental aspect of the position

Bates- beyond enough athletic ability to play the position. Concerns still about his shoulder and resulting strength to play in the middle. Also reports that he's struggling a bit with the playbook as well.

Kirkland, Jr- most think he'll be the best option, best player, eventual starter. Great instincts, great sideline to sideline speed, photographic memory leads them all to believe that understanding playbook is not an issue. Obviously, the torn pec muscle has put him behind. Will he be ready physically this fall. Obviously unproven as a true freshman.

Jumper- leader in the clubhouse right now. May be a bit limited athletically, but plays with great physicality and leadership, has command of playbook as well.....but he's a walkon so most guys are thinking (right or wrong) if one of the more highly touted players don't beat him out that it's an issue.

Jakob- haven't really heard anyone mention him lately as s viable option to start at MLB.

So, while we have numerous options and a lot of talent, there are questions with each candidate which is why when asked what "keeps him from sleeping at night" regarding this year's team, Butch quickly answered middle linebacker back in the Spring.

From listening to Swain, Hubbs, Mathews, RTI guys, these are the "evaluations" of our MLB options...

Bynum- biggest strength is his understanding of the defense and how to get players lined up, which is huge. However, is slow and lacks athletic ability that coaches are demanding at the position.

Bryant- stud run stuffer, hardest hitter on team. Does he have enough speed to play sideline to sideline? Still struggling with the mental aspect of the position

Bates- beyond enough athletic ability to play the position. Concerns still about his shoulder and resulting strength to play in the middle. Also reports that he's struggling a bit with the playbook as well.

Kirkland, Jr- most think he'll be the best option, best player, eventual starter. Great instincts, great sideline to sideline speed, photographic memory leads them all to believe that understanding playbook is not an issue. Obviously, the torn pec muscle has put him behind. Will he be ready physically this fall. Obviously unproven as a true freshman.

Jumper- leader in the clubhouse right now. May be a bit limited athletically, but plays with great physicality and leadership, has command of playbook as well.....but he's a walkon so most guys are thinking (right or wrong) if one of the more highly touted players don't beat him out that it's an issue.

Jakob- haven't really heard anyone mention him lately as s viable option to start at MLB.

So, while we have numerous options and a lot of talent, there are questions with each candidate which is why when asked what "keeps him from sleeping at night" regarding this year's team, Butch quickly answered middle linebacker back in the Spring.

Good break down.

I understand the coach losing sleep over the uncertainty as his job depends on the success of the team. I don't lose sleep over it. You've listed a couple of guys that could hold down the position with good knowledge and adequate ability while the arguably more talented guys are developing their 'missing piece.' Having a proven veteran would be more desirable, I agree. But, I think the situation will sort itself out just fine.

Also, Thigpen is a great coach. The improvement players show under him from one year to the next is outstanding.

UT is moving in the right direction but there are still unanswered questions and identifiable weak points sufficient to approach this year with tempered optimism. On defense, while I think McKenzie and Tuttle are going to be All-America level studs at some point in their careers, they're still freshmen this year. We have two proven commodities (O'Brien and Williams) at DT but they're solid but unspectacular. The fifth (sixth?) options at the position did not play last year in spite of being thin at the position. Unless McKenzie and Tuttle are once in a decade talents that are ready to play day one at an all-conference level, we are still thin at DT and it will take time for this position to jel. At MLB, we are replacing an all-time great in AJ. Sure, he had some limitations but he was a player. Starting a true freshman or an athletically limited upperclassmen there is concerning. DEs and the secondary should be good to go game one on but DT and MLB are positions that will take time to round into form. On offense, the OL as a whole is concerning. Outside of Jashon, is anyone excited about any of the returning players? Our WRs, albeit they had a hard time shining with the poor OL, are largely unproven. North and Malone did not live up to expectations last year (probably due to injury), Smith played well but is coming back from an injury, Croom improved but was not dominant, Preston Williams is a freshman coming off a horrible knee injury, etc. So, we just don't know what to expect from the WRs. I expect Hurd and Kamara to be lethal but depth can be an issue if either gets hurt and devastating if both get hurt. I expect Dobbs to have improved but, again, depth is an issue and he runs a lot and the OL has let our QBs get hit hard the last few years. Also, it will be interesting to see where he is this year since he had a sensational substitute role last year. TE should be in good hands. All in all, we are on the cusp but I think the depth issues start to be resolved in 2016 after another stellar recruiting class and when Butch's first full class will be either juniors or redshirt sophomores and his second full class sophomores or redshirt freshmen. So, I'm thinking 8-4 plus or minus one win in the regular season and UT will be poised for a big 2016.

no issue with this at all. basically a "show me" type write up, as we have plenty of opportunities with our schedule to elevate.....

if the O line does in fact improve, and we avoid major injuries, who knows...could be a very good year.

i especially like, and agree with, this sentiment:
"The raw material to compete now is there. This team fought for Butch Jones when it wasn’t."

Good break down.

I understand the coach losing sleep over the uncertainty as his job depends on the success of the team. I don't lose sleep over it. You've listed a couple of guys that could hold down the position with good knowledge and adequate ability while the arguably more talented guys are developing their 'missing piece.' Having a proven veteran would be more desirable, I agree. But, I think the situation will sort itself out just fine.

Also, Thigpen is a great coach. The improvement players show under him from one year to the next is outstanding.

Here's hoping Butch and Thig find their guy at MLB sooner rather than later. The nice thing is, unlike years past at a lot of positions, we have options.....very talented options.

Here's hoping Butch and Thig find their guy at MLB sooner rather than later. The nice thing is, unlike years past at a lot of positions, we have options.....very talented options.

yeah, i just find it hard to believe that we won't have this solved sooner than later.

yeah, i just find it hard to believe that we won't have this solved sooner than later.

They'll clearly get it solved and whoever is running the show at MLB will get help from JRM, Maggitt and Randolph at a minimum. I'm just saying there's gonna be a learning curve at arguably the most important defensive position on the field, no matter how talented he is, and it's not the optimal position to be in to begin the season. That's all.

They'll clearly get it solved and whoever is running the show at MLB will get help from JRM, Maggitt and Randolph at a minimum. I'm just saying there's gonna be a learning curve at arguably the most important defensive position on the field, no matter how talented he is, and it's not the optimal position to be in to begin the season. That's all.
i hear ya, and i agree. i just worry less about that than i do about developing a 2nd string QB, 3rd RB, will WR's live up to potential, and O linemen improvement......

i think in the end, the defense may be the star of the season. the majority of ?'s we have on this team surround the "what if's" on the offensive side of the ball.

VN Store

Back