Favorite Loss in Tennessee History

PeytonBerry

Just an off-season topic to get us through.

As tough as the 2007 SECCG loss was, I remember it rather fondly. I had met my future wife that year at UT and witnessed so many exciting games (including this one) with her. South Carolina (Lincoln's barely there field goal), big win over UGA, 4 overtime against UK, etc. In fact, Tennessee was the first team to make it to Atlanta having had more points scored against than for in SEC play.

In other words, we didn't have any business being there, but just found a way to win. At the start of the game, the Vols came out pumped and the defense was electric! The group I traveled with didn't think we had a chance, but at halftime, our team really had us believing. The int's ultimately did us in, but a team with obvious flaws gave everything they had and almost brought home an improbable SEC Championship. Keep in mind, they almost knocked off the would-be national champions that year.

As we left the game and got on the metro, there was a UT fan in overalls who sang all three verses to RockyTop while surrounded by UT and LSU fans. He got a big round of applause afterwards, and I remember thinking, "It's Great to Be a Tennessee Vol!"

If you had to pick one, what would be your favorite loss?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Their is no such thing as a favorite loss. ALL loses are bad. Their is no such thing as a moral victory which is something that has been thrown around the last several years. Every win is good, every loss is bad.

Reactions: 6 people
Wyoming, my brain had finally broken from that season, and I just got drunk and laughed, it didn't f'ing matter anymore.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah this is a tough one. Maybe a close loss could be considered good but agree with above that moral victories are for Vandy fans.

There are very few losses for which I would consider watching a rebroadcast. One that stands out, however, because it was well-played, extremely exciting, high-scoring and we just fell short in our final comeback bid would be the 1990 game that Notre Dame won, 34-29. The following year, Notre Dame again scored 34 points but succumbed to the greatest comeback ever by an opponent on Notre Dame's home field in the "Miracle at South Bend."

Vandy loss 2012 was the most rewarding loss to date, considering where we are at now. Season was over and Dooley was inevitably gone with another losing season. If he'd went 6-6, we may have had to put up with another year of his crap.

Reactions: 1 person
I have no favorite loss, but there is one that haunts me. Getting drilled by Kentucky in 1893, no head coach, and most of the team wouldn't even come back the next year. Remember it like yesterday, I'll never get over that one.

I have no favorite loss, but there is one that haunts me. Getting drilled by Kentucky in 1893, no head coach, and most of the team wouldn't even come back the next year. Remember it like yesterday, I'll never get over that one.

You're older than I imagined.

Really?

In 45 years as fan every loss hurt, when i was a kid i would cry, in my 20 and 30s i would shed a few tears if it was a loss to Florida or Bama, now in my 50s a tear or 2 will still come from a gut wrenching loss like to Florida last year, if we every loss a game and old TP accept it, you VOL NATION will know my old azz is 6 foot under the ground, i guess i take this football to serious, but all i can say is i was born a TENNESSEAN and by the GRACE OF GOD I WILL DIE A TENNESSEE VOL, GO VOLS BUCK BAMA MY FRIENDS.

VN Store

Back