Tailgate tech help question

Volsfaninva917

I know this will get moved and thats fine I just wanted to put it here so maybe it would get answered quick. I'm tired of dragging all the Dish network crap around on saturdays for tailgating. Has anyone ever used chromecast at a tailgate using mobile hotspot to watch games? I have unlimited data through work with sprint network which offers 4g in knoxville. So tell me tech informed people will it work?

I know this will get moved and thats fine I just wanted to put it here so maybe it would get answered quick. I'm tired of dragging all the Dish network crap around on saturdays for tailgating. Has anyone ever used chromecast at a tailgate using mobile hotspot to watch games? I have unlimited data through work with sprint network which offers 4g in knoxville. So tell me tech informed people will it work?

That's a pretty good idea! Why wouldn't it work? Is 4G fast enough to stream live TV?

There will be a lot of people on the data networks on gameday so it will probably run very slow. Take both up on your 1st gameday. Try the chromecast & hotspot. If it doesn't work you'll have the dish set up ready to go.

Reactions: 2 people
There will be a lot of people on the data networks on gameday so it will probably run very slow. Take both up on your 1st gameday. Try the chromecast & hotspot. If it doesn't work you'll have the dish set up ready to go.

The only problem ive really had is in the stadium, so maybe ill get lucky?

Here's another odd question from a non techy.....

If you have a Slingbox at home and an unlimited data plan, is there a way to connect a phone or tablet to a tv?

I generally have spotty service in and around the stadium on gameday. I'd definitely take this guy's advice and prepare for the worst. Sure it's a hassle, but don't ruin your tailgate.

Reactions: 1 person
We have been successful using our phones and watch games on TV. I havent used the cromecast because I just got it. We have the adapter that hooks to your phone and to the TV via hdmi cord. It also hooks to ac power so your phone stays charged. I will be trying the cromecast this year.

I generally have spotty service in and around the stadium on gameday. I'd definitely take this guy's advice and prepare for the worst. Sure it's a hassle, but don't ruin your tailgate.

This :lolabove: is what I would think, Verizon updated the signal around the stadium for WIFI 2013 season. Its still not great and is the major reason they don't take credit cards at the stadium so go luck.

It's always best to go to someone else and eat and drink for free and maybe talk to some ladies

Why not just use a HD antenna for the major network local stations. Should be able to pick up nbc, abc, cbs and even regular fox.

Here's another odd question from a non techy.....

If you have a Slingbox at home and an unlimited data plan, is there a way to connect a phone or tablet to a tv?

Yep, there are different adapters depending on your phone. I use an iPhone 5S so I bought a lightening to HDMI adapter from Best Buy. Cost $40 I think, but it's useful when I'm at a friends house that has Internet, but no cable

I have watch ESPN and can access on my Apple TV, roku box, and cromecast. Question is... does anyone know where you can tailgate with available Wifi?

I know you think you have "unlimited" LTE through your work plan but unless you want an angry call from someone in IT on Monday morning I do not recommend you stream live HD TV over it.

As you may or may not have seen I just sold quite the tailgating rig. I'm not a know it all some people may have had great success but in our experience using wifi hotspot to stream a game is near impossible. We had a sling box, and unlimited data through AT&T. If it was a 7pm kick at about 6 am i pulled about 45mbps at 9 about 35mbps, at Noon I pulled about 10 Mbps and after 1:30 we couldn't even stream a YouTube video. I was nowhere near my data cap, it was just so bogged down. Kinda like trying to load Facebook or even sometimes send a text in the stadium. We broke out the Dish Tailgater and it changed our life lol. Some cords yes but undeniable reliability. That's my 2 cents.

As you may or may not have seen I just sold quite the tailgating rig. I'm not a know it all some people may have had great success but in our experience using wifi hotspot to stream a game is near impossible. We had a sling box, and unlimited data through AT&T. If it was a 7pm kick at about 6 am i pulled about 45mbps at 9 about 35mbps, at Noon I pulled about 10 Mbps and after 1:30 we couldn't even stream a YouTube video. I was nowhere near my data cap, it was just so bogged down. Kinda like trying to load Facebook or even sometimes send a text in the stadium. We broke out the Dish Tailgater and it changed our life lol. Some cords yes but undeniable reliability. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks, but what about if I'm tailgating somewhere that offers free wifi?

Someone said it on the first page, but I'm a little lazy to tag it...

Keep in mind that although your 4G is fast enough to stream live TV, many others around you on the same network will be pulling data and that will effect your ability to stream.

How much of an effect is the big question.

I have Sprint. Always make the same mistake. Try and send my buddy a text message of the team running through the T. Too much traffic on the tower in Knoxville - sometimes just a text saying - meet me at halftime - don't roll into my phone until the 4th quarter.
Also, pinging the tower like it does sucks your battery dry - even when you aren't doing anything. Can't say anything about the other providers, but I've found out that I'm better off just turning my phone off during the game and saving the battery.

Thanks, but what about if I'm tailgating somewhere that offers free wifi?

Depends on the # of ppl that are using that wifi signal. If you're close to a house or apt complex in the Fort you might want to offer the owner $10-20 for the wifi password. Not sure if UT's student wifi allows for steaming videos or how much of campus it covers. If it's something like McDonald's or Starbucks then everyone will be on it so probably a no go

VN Store

Back