Preston williams (good to go?)

IndyVOL26

Whats the deal with this kid?!? Will he be good to go for fall camp ?? Kid has a load of talent just havent really heard if he is showing up 100% and ready to rock

CBJ recently stated that he thinks Preston is 75-80% and that he'll be ready for Fall camp, shouldn't be held out for anything. He's a freshman coming off major knee surgery so nobody knows "what the deal is with Williams" at this point, but all signs point to him being good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
CBJ recently stated that he thinks Preston is 75-80% and that he'll be ready for Fall camp, shouldn't be held out for anything. He's a freshman coming off major knee surgery so nobody knows "what the deal is with Williams" at this point, but all signs point to him being good to go.

Several reports on the radio this summer have said that he is the fastest guy on the team and running the best routes. I've heard this from both Swain and Hyams. Guess we will see in a few days when practice starts

Reactions: 5 people

I read that he is one of the fastest guys on the team already even with still somewhat of a bum wheel. That's pretty dang impressive. If he can get close to all the way healthy this season he will play for sure. Waaaay too talented not to play.

I didn't realize PW was that fast. I had got the impression that he was more of a good route runner. Didn't he ran a 4.6 40 at The Opening last year?

I didn't realize PW was that fast. I had got the impression that he was more of a good route runner. Didn't he ran a 4.6 40 at The Opening last year?

I do believe so. One of the Scout reporters stated that Williams, Perry, and Martin were the very fast new comers. Maybe he doesn't know how to run the 40 well? Maybe his top speed isn't reached until he is 10 - 20 yards down the field? He is kind of a long strider.

Reactions: 2 people
I do believe so. One of the Scout reporters stated that Williams, Perry, and Martin were the very fast new comers. Maybe he doesn't know how to run the 40 well? Maybe his top speed isn't reached until he is 10 - 20 yards down the field? He is kind of a long strider.

Probably so. It seems to take taller guys a lil ways to really get going. For some reason I really think PW is going to be special. I hope he gets on the field early and often this year. Because IMO red-shirting him would be a waste cause I don't think he'll stay for his whole eligibility.

I believe that is right but Calvin Ridley (Bama) just ran a 4.54. I don't know why but many times at the Opening do tend to be a little slower than what the player is generally thought to be or how they have been clocked in other places. Guarantano is another example.

Excited about this kid. It's almost sick how many highly rated 6'3 plus receivers we keep landing. With speed.

Excited about this kid. It's almost sick how many highly rated 6'3 plus receivers we keep landing. With speed.

I'll be even more excited when even one of these very talented WRs begins to live up to (or God forbid even exceed) expectations

Reactions: 5 people

A lot of these kids times that you see in the 4.38 or 4.4 turn into 4.5 or 4.6 when you put a college coach holding the stop watch, i would like to see the kids run there 40 in full gear so then you would get true football speed, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 his senior year in college, but in full football gear you didnt see many running him down.

There was a challenge laid down by the coaching staff, that if completed, would save the entire team from additional running.

Preston was 1 of 2 kids on the team that completed the challenge.

A full lap around the entire field in under 50 seconds.

Reactions: 9 people
There was a challenge laid down by the coaching staff, that if completed, would save the entire team from additional running.

Impressive to not be at 100%

I'll be even more excited when even one of these very talented WRs begins to live up to (or God forbid even exceed) expectations

Yeah. It is time for Malone to step up or step out. I think he will though. North would have probably last year without injury.

^^^ pretty cool story

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of these kids times that you see in the 4.38 or 4.4 turn into 4.5 or 4.6 when you put a college coach holding the stop watch, i would like to see the kids run there 40 in full gear so then you would get true football speed, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 his senior year in college, but in full football gear you didnt see many running him down.

Same story with Terrell Owens

Butch also said a week or 2 ago that he's running full speed in straight lines right now, but had yet to work on cutting and lateral stress situations. That means to me that we are still in a wait and see mode.

His injury occurred in December, late in his season, so he may require more time than say a Jalen Hurd, who was injured early in his season and had 10-11 more weeks of rehab.

I think they go conservative with him too. We're talented in the 2 deep this year. Next year he will be expected (needed) to produce big #s. This kid is special.

Yeah. It is time for Malone to step up or step out. ...

What in the HADES?

Step up or Step OUT. Are you kidding me?

That kid was our best freshman receiver last year and has sick upside. He was 18yo and of course inconsistent.

Lets get a little history lesson here concerning some other UT true Freshman.

Peerless Price 6 catches 72yds

Donte' Stallworth
23 for 407

Carl Pickens 7 for 81

Alvin Harper 15 for 247

Darick Rogers 11 for 167

Joey Kent 10 for 209

** Josh Malone 23 for 231 **

Those numbers are for all SEC, NFL pro bowlers, and UT legends in their true freshmen years.

I'm not trying to be a pita. But this idea that Josh is failure is just plain ignorant. He came in to a deep WR core. He had to try to make plays with his QB flat on his back for 2/3 of the season. He made some contested catches in traffic, dropped a few, and made some rookie errors.

But to say anything remotely close to him GETTING OUT as a sophomore is plain wrong.

How this mindset has crept into factions of our fanbase is bewildering to me. He was our best freshman receiver last year, possibly all-SEC before he leaves, yet people want to trash him becausehe somehow is a failure.

My suspicion is this idea came from the number of stars beside his name according to some recruiting 'services' who have never even spoken with the young man.

Stop it. This garbage is rediculous.

Reactions: 33 people
Agreed with the post above. Malone may have been inconsistent, but that is to be expected from most freshmen. He'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 person
Want to see 5 wide with Malone, Marquez, Von Pearson, Pig, and PW.

Suck on that, opposing secondaries.

Reactions: 2 people

Interested to know who the second guy was. :whistling:

What in the HADES?

Step up or Step OUT. Are you kidding me?

That kid was our best freshman receiver last year and has sick upside. He was 18yo and of course inconsistent.

Lets get a little history lesson here concerning some other UT true Freshman.

Peerless Price 6 catches 72yds

Donte' Stallworth
23 for 407

Carl Pickens 7 for 81

Alvin Harper 15 for 247

Darick Rogers 11 for 167

Joey Kent 10 for 209

** Josh Malone 23 for 231 **

Those numbers are for all SEC, NFL pro bowlers, and UT legends in their true freshmen years.

I'm not trying to be a pita. But this idea that Josh is failure is just plain ignorant. He came in to a deep WR core. He had to try to make plays with his QB flat on his back for 2/3 of the season. He made some contested catches in traffic, dropped a few, and made some rookie errors.

But to say anything remotely close to him GETTING OUT as a sophomore is plain wrong.

How this mindset has crept into factions of our fanbase is bewildering to me. He was our best freshman receiver last year, possibly all-SEC before he leaves, yet people want to trash him becausehe somehow is a failure.

My suspicion is this idea came from the number of stars beside his name according to some recruiting 'services' who have never even spoken with the young man.

Stop it. This garbage is rediculous.

Lol, I should have used blue font and/or worded that differently. I really like Josh and think he has the possibility of being a great receiver. As those statistics show, there is nothing saying he won't still be great. I mainly just meant depth wise we have plenty of good receivers and his drops were kind of frustrating last season. I don't want him off the team or anything.

Step out was a dumb way to put it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back