2001 Citrus Bowl UT vs Michigan

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECqy_X9bow[/youtube]

As the summer drags on and the kickoff to the 2015 season creeps closer I thought way not spend a lazy Saturday watching my Vols pound Michigan.

It was a very bitter sweet game. We annihilated the wolverines, but if not for an epic choke in the SEC title game we would have been playing Miami in the Rose Bowl.

What might have been

Anyway enjoy Nation.

Reactions: 3 people
The Iceman
Donte Stallworth
Kelley Washington
Jason Witten
Travis Stephens
A darn good o/d line and supporting cast!

Reactions: 2 people
I taped this when it came on and watched it about 200 times. It almost made up for the SEC championship game loss because I had a lot of friends taht liked UM at the time. We had a pretty dang good team that year.

The Iceman
Donte Stallworth
Kelley Washington
Jason Witten
Travis Stephens
A darn good o/d line and supporting cast!
Thinking about that for as great as Miami was I truly believe we would at least had a shot at beating them. We went into the swamp and beat what CSS said years later was probably his best team talent wise.

Miami did have amazing talent that year but we had plenty ourselves.

I taped this when it came on and watched it about 200 times. It almost made up for the SEC championship game loss because I had a lot of friends taht liked UM at the time. We had a pretty dang good team that year.
That 2001 LSU choke goes down as the most heartbreaking loss I've ever known as a fan. It was worse than the 96 Memphis, 2011 KY 2009 Bama and the 2014 Florida game

Reactions: 5 people
That 2001 LSU choke goes down as the most heartbreaking loss I've ever known as a fan. It was worse than the 96 Memphis, 2011 KY 2009 Bama and the 2014 Florida game

Even if we'd won that game, it's probably safe to say that Semi-Pro Miami Hurricanes team would have smacked us in the mouth. They were ridiculous that year.

Even if we'd won that game, it's probably safe to say that Semi-Pro Miami Hurricanes team would have smacked us in the mouth. They were ridiculous that year.
Maybe but we still would have won the SEC title and we where really deep talent wise ourselves. We will never know.

Maybe but we still would have won the SEC title and we where really deep talent wise ourselves. We will never know.

Most years we would have been the most talented team in the country, or at least close to, but even we with all of that talent couldn't really match them.

Among the numerous stars on the 2001 Miami squad were: quarterback Ken Dorsey; running backs Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, and Frank Gore; tight end Jeremy Shockey; wide receiver Andre Johnson, and Kevin Beard; tackles Bryant McKinnie and Joaquin Gonzalez; defensive linemen Jerome McDougle, William Joseph, and Vince Wilfork; linebackers Jonathan Vilma and D.J. Williams; and defensive backs Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, and Phillip Buchanon. Additional contributors included future stars Kellen Winslow II, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Vernon Carey, and Rocky McIntosh. In all, an extraordinary 17 players from the 2001 Miami football team were drafted in the first-round of the NFL Draft (5 in the 2002 NFL Draft: Buchanon, McKinnie, Reed, Rumph, and Shockey; 4 in 2003: Johnson, Joseph, McDougle, and McGahee; 6 in 2004: Carey, Taylor, Vilma, Wilfork, Williams, and Winslow; 1 in 2005: Rolle; and 1 in 2006: Kelly Jennings).

Pretty much Big John was the man. One of my favorite Vols.

Yeah 2001 was probably UT's second best chance at winning a national championship.
It and the 1999 squad where the best UT squads talent wise I've seen in my 25 plus years as a fan. Ironic neither ended with a NC or even a SEC crown

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Absolutely. That team was the most talented in college football history.

Most years we would have been the most talented team in the country, or at least close to, but even we with all of that talent couldn't really match them.
I didn't think Ohio State stood a chance against them the next year either but they stunned the nation. You make a great argument though

VN Store

Back