official Underrated VFL appreciation thread.

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
Being the offseason with little substantial news out there, I think this would be a good time to show some appreciation for some of the VFLs that had an impact on you.

Maybe they were your childhood favorite Vol. Maybe you remember a certain play or game that sticks with you. I know many VFLs read this site and some even post. I think it will be nice to show some love to those unsung heroes so they know we have not forgotten them. Even if they don't see it, it will be fun to be reminded of some guys I may have forgotten about.

Here are a few of mine:
1. Cedric Wilson - one of my all-time favorite WR
2. CJ Fayton - 4th and 19
3. Gerald Jones - I remember a diving catch he had as a fresjman for a TD and many other memorable moments
4. Eric Parker - was so fun to watch him as a return man. Never knew what was going to happen when he got the ball
5. Kevin Simon - before his injury he could absolutely lay the wood
6. Little Man Stewart - send Little Man over the top!
7. Cedric Houston - overshadowed by backs that came before and after him
8. Montario Hardesty - the run against Cal at home was unforgettable
9. Erik Ainge - had a cannon and largely remembered fot his missteps but absolutely loved him
10. Palardy - by his senior year he was the embodiment of what it was to be a Vol. He overcame so much.

I could go on and on but ill leave it up to you guys to take it from here! Let's show our favorite underrated/underappreciated VFLs some love!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Wes Brown for staying through everything and fighting through injuries, and this play...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94mAmdxaFg[/youtube]

Reactions: 6 people
Being the offseason with little substantial news out there, I think this would be a good time to show some appreciation for some of the VFLs that had an impact on you.

Maybe they were your childhood favorite Vol. Maybe you remember a certain play or game that sticks with you. I know many VFLs read this site and some even post. I think it will be nice to show some love to those unsung heroes so they know we have not forgotten them. Even if they don't see it, it will be fun to be reminded of some guys I may have forgotten about.

Here are a few of mine:
3. Gerald Jones - local kid who was very underrated
4. Eric Parker - was so fun to watch him as a return man. Never knew what was going to happen when he got the ball
9. Erik Ainge - had a cannon and largely remembered fot his missteps but absolutely loved him
10. Palardy - by his senior year he was the embodiment of what it was to be a Vol. He overcame so much.

I could go on and on but ill leave it up to you guys to take it from here! Let's show our favorite underrated/underappreciated VFLs some love!

Gerald Jones was from Oklahoma.

Reactions: 1 person

Here are a few of mine:
3. Gerald Jones - local kid who was very underrated

The sad part of Cedric Houston's career is that he was never able to fully reach his potential because of an un diagnosed thyroid condition that affected his stamina. The coaches were on him about conditioning but it wasn't his fault. I remember the long run against Miami where he literally just ran out of gas. Hope he's doing well these days.

Reactions: 1 person
Gerald Jones was from Oklahoma.

Fixed it. For some reason I thought he was from Fulton. Who was from Fulton around the same time? Maybe a db?

Edit: Dennis Rogan is who I was thinking of. He's another VFL that is on my list

Last edited:
Does Gerald Jones lose VFL points for helping Troop recruit for Auburn?

Mose Phillips
Jeremy Lincoln
Ben Talley
Craig Faulkner
Shawn Bryson
Greg Amsler

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Does Gerald Jones lose VFL points for helping Troop recruit for Auburn?

Clicked reply to say yes. But... Man, I'd want somebody to steer me away from Dooley too. So... I hate it strictly for UT, but I get it.

Clicked reply to say yes. But... Man, I'd want somebody to steer me away from Dooley too. So... I hate it strictly for UT, but I get it.

Understand that sentiment...more now than back then. But to steer Gabe Wright away from Tennessee? I could forgive remaining silent in dissent... maybe just me. :dunno:

Understand that sentiment...more now than back then. But to steer Gabe Wright away from Tennessee? I could forgive remaining silent in dissent... maybe just me. :dunno:

Yeah, I hear you. Ultimately, yes, I think he loses VFL points - Dooley or no Dooley, he hurt the university by recruiting against it. But in retrospect, I have to admit that I understand why he did it.

Dale Jones the heart and soul of our 85 Defense, the team that got us back in the national spot light and headed in the right direction.

Reactions: 2 people
Five of the top ten single-game Vol rushing performances, including four of the top five, came behind that line.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 7.41.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 7.41.32 PM.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 2 people
Mose Phillips
Jeremy Lincoln
Ben Talley
Craig Faulkner
Shawn Bryson
Greg Amsler

Great list! These guys were rockin it when I first really began to understand what was going on in the game. I remember Amsler hopping the defender in the '90(?) bowl game vs VA. You don't see too many FB's athletic enough to do that. Some others I remember: WR Vince Moore, RB Tony Thompson, LB Earnest Fields & Darrell Hobby, CB JJ McCleskey, S/CB Raymond Austin, S Jason Parker, LB Kevin Burnette & Scott Galyon, S Gibril Wilson and WR/DB/KR/PR Carl Pickens. I know Pickens is not exactly a forgotten VFL, but I couldn't help myself. He's probably my favorite Vol of all time. Bad attitude or not, he was so fun to watch play football. :thumbsup: Thanks OP, been a nice walk down memory lane.

Last edited:
The sad part of Cedric Houston's career is that he was never able to fully reach his potential because of an un diagnosed thyroid condition that affected his stamina. The coaches were on him about conditioning but it wasn't his fault. I remember the long run against Miami where he literally just ran out of gas. Hope he's doing well these days.

I always liked Houston.

VN Store

Back