Marlon Walls just did an interview with Chris Vernon in Memphis...

Aesius

And it was great. Should be up in podcast form later, but here are a few cliff notes (I missed the beginning where he talks about high school and getting recruited by Fulmer):

-The entire team loved Kiffin (no surprise there).

-Before the Bama game in 2009, Kiffin told them that after they won the game, they weren't going to get on the bus and go home. Instead, they were going to stay in Tuscaloosa for the weekend and steal all of the girls in the local bars. Walls basically insinuated that that statement is what had the team so fired up and is the reason why they kept it so close.

-None of the players believed that Lincoln was going to make that kick even if Cody hadn't blocked it because he had been kicking into the back of the OL's heads all year long.

-When Kiffin had a team meeting to tell the team he was going to USC, a handful of upper classmen called him out to his face in the meeting room and basically told him to GTFO.

-The entire team was skeptical of Dooley when he was hired because no one had any idea who he was and his awful record at La Tech.

-The first thing Dooley told Marlon was that he hates Memphis kids and doesn't recruit the area, but that he would play him anyway because there was no depth at his position.

-Walls talked to UF and Bama players after the games and asked them about their coaches. They all said they loved their coaches and would run through a wall for them.

-The team was relieved after the Vandy loss in 2012 because they knew Dooley was fired.

-When they met with Hart and Dooley after he was canned, Dooley was crying and asked the players if they had anything to say to him before he left. No one said a word.

-He loves Butch Jones and said that Butch doesn't care who a player is. He doesn't play favorites and will get in anyone's face if they aren't hustling. Also appreciated that Butch was upfront with him about his NFL chances prior to the Kentucky game in 2013 and told him it might be the last time he ever suits up to play, but that Butch and the university would do everything to support a player like him who had gone through so much for Tennessee.

Reactions: 70 people
Interviews like these remind us of just how far we have come over the last couple years and why the future at Tennessee is so positive now.

Reactions: 11 people
said that Butch doesn't care who a player is. He doesn't play favorites and will get in anyone's face if they aren't hustling. Also appreciated that Butch was upfront with him about his NFL chances prior to the Kentucky game in 2013 and told him it might be the last time he ever suits up to play, but that Butch and the university would do everything to support a player like him who had gone through so much for Tennessee.

Wow.

That is honestly really cool.

Reactions: 1 person
The words Dooley and Kiffin give me a weak feeling in my stomach. Can't wait to see/hear this.

-The first thing Dooley told Marlon was that he hates Memphis kids and doesn't recruit the area, but that he would play him anyway because there was no depth at his position.

This is hard to believe, unless it was tongue in cheek.

Reactions: 6 people
I encourage all of you to go back and listen to the interview form Verno's podcast. Even with the cliff-notes Aesius provided, you can't appreciate how fortunate we are to be rid of Dooley (Kiffin too for that matter). Both coaches were going to run our program into the ground. Yes, Dooley did run it into the ground but at least he didn't put us in NCAA hot water.

Anyways, it also makes you appreciate the men who played for our great university during the dark ages. Even though things did not turn out great on the field, these boys still have a great sense of pride for being able to represent the university they love. At some point, 5-10 years from now, they will get to look back with a great sense of accomplishment on the work they did to get us through hard times.

Reactions: 4 people
Also said he had to schedule the meeting through a secretary rather than just going to the coach's office.

I don't believe the part about Dooley crying, that'd mean he cared.

Yes, it would certainly mean he cared. But about what?

Was it Tennessee football or the fact that his dreams of being a head coaching legend like his father had just gone up in smoke?

Verno is the best radio host around. His show is outstanding and he really knows how to conduct a great interview.

I was listening live, and I believed everything that Walls said.

Last edited:
-None of the players believed that Lincoln was going to make that kick even if Cody hadn't blocked it because he had been kicking into the back of the OL's heads all year long.

I'm in Bama and I have been saying this for years. Basically Cody was a fat azz (gosh, used that term twice in my life and both in this thread) and got all the credit for blocking those kicks. He couldn't get airborne if he wanted too.

I think Lincoln would have missed that kick (both kicks) if it had only been him the holder and the snapper on the field. Mount Cody flamed out early in the NFL.

Good to get confirmation of what I've always thought. When we lined up for that kick, it was already doomed.

Last edited:

Preach! Seriously though, I understand our fans that tried their best to support a coach after the hire was made. The part where someone with DDs resume', was ever given the reigns of one of the most elite programs in the country, is borderline treason... Not that I feel strongly on the matter :)

VN Store

Back