How many FRESHMEN break the starting lineup this season?

Dobbs 4 Heisman

We've got a consensus top 5 recruiting class coming in (ranked as high as #3 by 24/7). Even Alabama who has as much experienced depth as anyone in the country has stud freshmen win starting jobs for them year in and year out. Butch has recruited at such an elite level that it isn't asking much to expect 2-3 of these freshmen to turn into instant starters. Who do ya'll think can break the lineup this season? I'm pretty confident these 3 guys start from the jump.

Darrin Kirkland Jr. - starting MLB
Kahlil McKenzie - starting DT
Drew Richmond - starting RT

Shy Tuttle should be starting by mid-season.

Reactions: 5 people
Potentially, zero.

At the beginning of the season, anyway. By the end of the season, several could win their way into starts.

I do see 7 freshmen potentially in the two-deep: Dormady, Richmond and Jones on offense; KMac, Shy, Kirkland, and Bates on defense. Just none starting, not early on.

If I'm off by one, it'll be KMac. If I'm off by two, it'll be KMac and Kirkland. I seriously doubt I'd be off by 3.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 6 people
Potentially, zero.

At the beginning of the season, anyway. By the end of the season, several could win their way into starts.

I do see 7 freshmen in the two-deep: Dormady, Richmond and Jones on offense; KMac, Shy, Kirkland, and Bates on defense. Just none starting, not early on.

If I'm off by one, it'll be KMac. If I'm off by two, it'll be KMac and Kirkland. I seriously doubt I'd be off by 3.

Go Vols!

Agreed except I suspect they will try to RS Richmond. I know I would.

As amazing as it seems, almost no one is paying attention to a 5* DE signee. It was unfortunate that he could not make it in for spring but could be a factor by mid-season.

Reactions: 3 people
Also, IMHO, Tuttle is more likely to RS than start. I know he was complimented in the spring but that's relative to the low number of DT's participating in spring ball and to his class. He looked good for an incoming Fr. I don't think I heard anyone claim that he was SEC ready from either a physical or mental standpoint. McKenzie appears to be both.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope zero. Two deep is much more likely. Starting multiple freshmen isn't conducive to 9 and 10 win seasons for the most part.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm hoping only 1 or 2 as well... KMac and Kirkland/Richmond. Hopefully Bynum can hold the starting job early in the season to bring Kirkland along at a good pace.

On another note, with us mostly running a 4-2-5 scheme, it'll be interesting to see how often we see players like Bates, McDowell, Ell. Berry, Smith, Sapp, etc. Great position to be in, for sure, but I'd definitely like to see a lot more Bates & McDowell this year.

As amazing as it seems, almost no one is paying attention to a 5* DE signee. It was unfortunate that he could not make it in for spring but could be a factor by mid-season.

Yeah, I keep erasing Richmond and Tuttle from the two-deep, then adding them back, heh. I can certainly see it from both angles.

As for DE...guilty as charged. I've not included Phillips yet in my two-deep, I have Lewis and Vereen behind Barnett and Maggitt. That could end up wrong. Mind-blowing extreme outside possibility: Phillips comes on gang-busters a la Barnett, takes the other DE spot opposite Derek ... Maggitt shifts back to OLB ... JRM shifts to MLB. Don't know if JRM shifting inside is the best option going, but man would that load the box with pass rushers and play-makers.

Potentially, zero.

I do see 7 freshmen potentially in the two-deep: Dormady, Richmond and Jones on offense; KMac, Shy, Kirkland, and Bates on defense. Just none starting, not early on.

Go Vols!

K-MAC starts the first day of camp, by the end of practice anyway, Coach might put him on the second unit just to piss him of and get him mad.:eek:hmy:

I'm hoping only 1 or 2 as well... KMac and Kirkland/Richmond. Hopefully Bynum can hold the starting job early in the season to bring Kirkland along at a good pace.

On another note, with us mostly running a 4-2-5 scheme, it'll be interesting to see how often we see players like Bates, McDowell, Ell. Berry, Smith, Sapp, etc. Great position to be in, for sure, but I'd definitely like to see a lot more Bates & McDowell this year.

I hope Richmond doesnt have to start because that would show our OL has not improved in the of season.

Reactions: 6 people
K-MAC starts the first day of camp, by the end of practice anyway, Coach might put him on the second unit just to piss him of and get him mad.:eek:hmy:

Heh, could be, Terry. He sure looks beast from the workouts since he's gotten on campus. Thanks to his dad and the Raiders, may be the best-prepared new arrival to Knoxville in many, many years...or ever.

Yeah, I keep erasing Richmond and Tuttle from the two-deep, then adding them back, heh. I can certainly see it from both angles.

As for DE...guilty as charged. I've not included Phillips yet in my two-deep, I have Lewis and Vereen behind Barnett and Maggitt. That could end up wrong. Mind-blowing extreme outside possibility: Phillips comes on gang-busters a la Barnett, takes the other DE spot opposite Derek ... Maggitt shifts back to OLB ... JRM shifts to MLB. Don't know if JRM shifting inside is the best option going, but man would that load the box with pass rushers and play-makers.

No doubt. Maggitt has the size and smarts to play MLB as well. UT's options at OLB look really good to me and especially with the way McDowell and Berry seem to be following a similar path to JRM. Tremendous athleticism at OLB.... could help them play more 4-3 if Moseley and Sutton are as good as I expect them to be.

I hope zero. Two deep is much more likely. Starting multiple freshmen isn't conducive to 9 and 10 win seasons for the most part.

If we have to start 3 on the defense it will be hard to win 9 games, K-MAC is not the average Freshmen, he will be like Barnett and dominate from day 1.:rock:

I hope Richmond doesnt have to start because that would show our OL has not improved in the of season.

Or it could be that he's just that good.

I tend to think Jones will want to develop him before playing him.... but he could be better than that.

Reactions: 1 person
People quickly forget our LAST recruiting class was also Top 5, so I am positive that several of those talented athletes will break the starting lineup by the start or end of the season. I see 1 Freshmen starting at the beginning of the season and that is Kahlil. By the mid-point, maybe as many as 3-4. Richmond will probably get a lot of playing time at the beginning of the season and then prove just how talented he is. By the Arkansas/Georgia game I expect him to be starting. Same with Darrin Kirkland.

I also think one person to keep an eye on depending on health is Preston Williams. He was a man among boys before his ACL and it seems like he is ahead of schedule. If Von Pearson is truly gone and not coming back and Williams is healthy, expect him to be a major factor and possible starter halfway through the season.

Last edited:
Probably just K-Mac. Kind of what everyone else has said. I would like to see Kirkland in pretty quick if Bynum or whoever they start doen't work out.

If we have to start 3 on the defense it will be hard to win 9 games, K-MAC is not the average Freshmen, he will be like Barnett and dominate from day 1.:rock:

From a physical stand point, he's like a Sr with 4 years of eligibility left. But I think it is possible that the mental side could be a great edge for him. Son of a NFL player and exec... so he's spent time around NFL camps, players, and coaches. He's heard them talk and his father has undoubtedly exposed him to extra coaching from the best of the best. I would be shocked if he doesn't start or isn't in a four player rotation with pretty much equal PT with Williams, O'Brien, and Vickers.

IMO, that's the best DT rotation UT has had since at least 2005 and probably before that. I'm not certain that UT has had another DT since Dan Williams that would have cracked that rotation.

Kirkland, McKenzie, P. Williams by mid season.

That's all I see. Preston is way too good to keep out of the WR rotation.

I don't see DR as a 5 yr player. I think one of the ways we got him to flip is knowing he wasn't going to have to sit a season behind Tunsil. A 5* should be able to start as a frosh, that's part of the ranking system

Or it could be that he's just that good.

I tend to think Jones will want to develop him before playing him.... but he could be better than that.

Early read on Richmond is, needs to develop his strength. LWS said something to that effect yesterday or the day before on another thread. So less likely to see him starting than several other freshmen named in the thread so far.

People quickly forget our LAST recruiting class was also Top 5, so I am positive that several of those talented athletes will break the starting lineup by the start or end of the season. I see 1 Freshmen starting at the beginning of the season and that is Kahlil. By the mid-point, maybe as many as 3-4. Richmond will probably get a lot of playing time at the beginning of the season and then prove just how talented he is. By the Arkansas/Georgia game I expect him to be starting. Same with Darrin Kirkland.

I also think one person to keep an eye on depending on health is Preston Williams. He was a man among boys before his ACL and it seems like he is ahead of schedule. If Von Pearson is truly gone and not coming back and Williams is healthy, expect him to be a major factor and possible starter halfway through the season.

It is possible but I think you are underestimating a couple of factors. One is experience. But the other is development. There is a BIG physical leap from HS at any level to Division 1 football and especially the SEC. The guys who Jones and staff have now been developing for 2 or 3 years have a big advantage over most incoming Fr. It isn't an advantage that is likely to be overcome within the season.

There is also another factor. Jones indicates that he really doesn't want to play that many young, under-developed, and inexperienced players. One reason may be that all of those combine to significantly increase their chances of injury.

I don't see DR as a 5 yr player. I think one of the ways we got him to flip is knowing he wasn't going to have to sit a season behind Tunsil. A 5* should be able to start as a frosh, that's part of the ranking system

Not in the SEC. He may not be a 5-year player, and they'll give him all the opportunity to win a starting job. But it's a lot to expect him to win it. I think he'll be in the 2-deep, and will get some PT while he strengthens.

My vote for starters are K-Mac and Kirkland. Although I like JP's thought of sliding JRM to MLB, having Maggitt at OLB, and letting our other talented DEs wreak havoc. Barnett locking down one side with Vereen backed by Phillips and Taylor on the other side. When Maggitt is at DE, Bates can get lots of looks at OLB too. The talent at the front 6 is outstanding. The most effective combination will be fun to watch unfold.

No doubt. Maggitt has the size and smarts to play MLB as well. UT's options at OLB look really good to me and especially with the way McDowell and Berry seem to be following a similar path to JRM. Tremendous athleticism at OLB.... could help them play more 4-3 if Moseley and Sutton are as good as I expect them to be.

We will have to play a 4 - 3 base I would expect against the power running teams we face this year. OK, GA, ARK, and ALA.

Yep. Williams is a Julio Jones clone IMO. Very Physical and dominating with blazing speed. If he can keep a good attitude then he is college ready right now.

It is possible but I think you are underestimating a couple of factors. One is experience. But the other is development. There is a BIG physical leap from HS at any level to Division 1 football and especially the SEC. The guys who Jones and staff have now been developing for 2 or 3 years have a big advantage over most incoming Fr. It isn't an advantage that is likely to be overcome within the season.

There is also another factor. Jones indicates that he really doesn't want to play that many young, under-developed, and inexperienced players. One reason may be that all of those combine to significantly increase their chances of injury.

Isn't that pretty much what I just said though? I stated that the majority of new starters will come from the Sophomores and at most we will see 3-4 Freshmen start by year's end. I never guaranteed Richmond/Kirkland would start, I just said by mid-season that those two are the ones who are most likely to be ready.

Obviously Butch isn't going to throw a bunch of inexperienced players out there.

VN Store

Back