Fall Camp Scorecard

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Here we go! Only 10 days to the start of Fall Camp, so what questions are you looking to answer? Where specifically is your focus?

I got 10 top questions on my scorecard, five for the O and five for the D.

Offense:
  • Do any new starters emerge on the OLine? Or does lineup remain Kendrick - Robertson - Crowder - Jackson - Kerbyson?
  • How does Sheririon Jones look? And do Dobbs and Dormady both continue to look as impressive as they did in the Spring?
  • Is Von back? Any chance he'll be back?
  • How do North and Malone look? Ready for breakout seasons?
  • How's the new, heavier build working for Hurd? Even more punishing a runner than last fall?

Defense:
  • Who's the starting MLB? How's he look?
  • Is KMac as eye-poppingly ahead of the curve in development as he seems?
  • Is Sutton now primarily Nickel? and closely related...
  • Is Martin starting at CB?
  • In more general terms, how beast are the front seven? Will they be able to handle the intense pressure they'll face from five very good, powerful running teams (Okla, Arky, UGa, Bama, and Mizzou)?

So those are mine. What're you looking for?

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Oline!
Oline!
Oline!
Oline!
Oline!

Everything good or bad this season is dependent on Oline play!! JMO

Reactions: 6 people
Hurd will rock, the oline will be better than last year, and I think we won't see von. Defense is gonna be nasty!

Heh, Joe, the idea is to share the questions you'll be looking for answers to, not to answer the questions other people post.

BUT...

...if you're having fun doing the latter, then I think you should just keep doing it. :)

Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
If I had to narrow it to 2 things (really one combined) that I believe changes the whole complexion of UT's season.... it comes down to Dobbs showing the ability to lead receivers effectively down field and the OL giving him time to make those throws.

The only real concern I have on D, and it isn't major, is who replaced AJ at MLB. The number of solid candidates gives me confidence someone will step up.

But UT needs to have a down field passing game. Mizzou's now departed DC very ably figured out how to solve the Dobbs riddle after watching him pretty much rip USCe and UK and perform well vs Bama. Vandy copied that formula with fairly mediocre athletes and had success. If Dobbs can lead WR's for big plays down field, that game plan no longer works.

Reactions: 3 people
I just want football to be here. Now.

If I had to narrow it to 2 things (really one combined) that I believe changes the whole complexion of UT's season.... it comes down to Dobbs showing the ability to lead receivers effectively down field and the OL giving him time to make those throws.

The only real concern I have on D, and it isn't major, is who replaced AJ at MLB. The number of solid candidates gives me confidence someone will step up.

But UT needs to have a down field passing game. Mizzou's now departed DC very ably figured out how to solve the Dobbs riddle after watching him pretty much rip USCe and UK and perform well vs Bama. Vandy copied that formula with fairly mediocre athletes and had success. If Dobbs can lead WR's for big plays down field, that game plan no longer works.

I agree.

DeBord - No one has mentioned him. I know this is Butch's offensive philosophy and all that but does adding him improve any area?

Reactions: 2 people
Heh, Joe, the idea is to share the questions you'll be looking for answers to, not to answer the questions other people post.

BUT...

...if you're having fun doing the latter, then I think you should just keep doing it. :)

Go Vols!
I worked all night, and I'm half asleep dangit! Ha. But....I wonder if Jones can challenge QD for the #2 spot.

BUT...

Go Vols!

I don't come to volnation for questions. I come here for answers!

DeBord - No one has mentioned him. I know this is Butch's offensive philosophy and all that but does adding him improve any area?

I would say it can't hurt with the OL given his history. Also, Bajakian had a maddening tendency to go away from what was working I guess to try and "stay a step ahead" of the opposing DC. It seemed like he was almost thinking TOO much. In addition, he seemed to be unable to comprehend the value of a short, high percentage pass like the quick slant. Couple that with an anemic, inneffective redzone offense and I think we have upgraded here. Hopefully Debord can rectify these issues.

I worked all night, and I'm half asleep dangit! Ha. But....I wonder if Jones can challenge QD for the #2 spot.

Well, Joe, I'm impressed that you've come to VolNation rather than going to sleep. You are a true Vol fan. :salute:

All those questions are legit, how about Special Teams???? I know I know, punting and kicking sucks... however, its Very Important

Someone suggested that he will do some things differently to include simplifying the techniques used by the OL's. Not sure exactly what that entails but there were times last year when guys sure looked to be thinking rather than playing.

The scheme will still be Jones' or some really close variation of it. Jones respects DeBord so I am sure they'll incorporate some things he brings. But the biggest difference will be at the player level of coaching.

I would say it can't hurt with the OL given his history. Also, Bajakian had a maddening tendency to go away from what was working I guess to try and "stay a step ahead" of the opposing DC. It seemed like he was almost thinking TOO much. In addition, he seemed to be unable to comprehend the value of a short, high percentage pass like the quick slant. Couple that with an anemic, inneffective redzone offense and I think we have upgraded here. Hopefully Debord can rectify these issues.

Agreed. DeBord is like a 2nd head coach who can help motivate the offense, improve the OL, and call plays that actually make sense given our strengths and weaknesses...while also not interfering with Butch's ideal version of the offense (which I believe Bajakian did).

He's the closest thing we can get to cloning Butch and making Butch #2 the offensive coordinator.

I'll definitely be looking for that in the first few games of the season, DD4me ... not sure if we'll be able to gauge it very well in fall camp, though.

I hope you are correct, as much as I would love for ST to not be a factor I believe it will be relevant more than usual this season

Why? Are you thinking we have concerns?

Medley's solid, we're good with both our kick coverage and kick return teams... Sutton and Berry are very good returners. Who our punter will be would seem to be the only question mark and we have very good options there. Honest question, not trying to argue.

MLB! Will Kirkland be a star, is Dillon Bates big enough to play in the middle, will Jumper be the next Reviez, and is 'ol Bynum a good enough option for his experience.

OL rotation

Freshman coming in, like Sheriron Jones, and who will step up this year that we are not expecting.

1) Offensive tackle play. Not really concerned with the guard and center positions, should be fine there. Will Blair finally step up?

2) We need a dominating receiver to step up and lead this group. North, Malone, Smith, and Williams all have the size and breakaway speed to strike fear into secondaries. Will they take a step this fall and start beating up opposing corners.

3) Hurd and Kamara are fine. Would really like to see John Kelly step up and be ready to take some carries from the opening game.

4) Will be paying close attention to the young freshman defensive tackles. Spring showed that Tuttle can give us some quality snaps and with his size he can probably be a good run stuffer. Will the beast McKenzie prove in practice that he is ready to do the same? If he can then the Vols will be a lot tougher to run against this fall.

5) Linebacker rotation. Who starts where? Who will be second team? Plenty of talent at all spots for sure. Looking for Bates to take a job or at least get a bunch of snaps. He is a very talented young man.

5) Linebacker rotation. Who starts where? Who will be second team? Plenty of talent at all spots for sure. Looking for Bates to take a job or at least get a bunch of snaps. He is a very talented young man.

Yeah Bates high school film is pretty nasty. I would like to see him on the field.

Butch's system year 3. It worked at CMU and Cinci, but it hasn't worked here yet. He doubled down by hiring DeBord to keep everyone on the same page. Will it finally click for the players or are we still going to see short passes where our WRs have to make the first man miss before getting positive yards?

VN Store

Back