Takin' snaps

OrangeByBirth

Old time Vol
I see a lot of hand wringing, worry, and concern about what might happen if Dobbs were to go down. I absolutely hope that he plays and plays well all year ... BUT, there was a team last year with a highly touted QB (even on Heismann lists) that went down to injury even before the first game. They turned to an inexperienced back-up and continued to win until he also went down. That left a raw freshman that was forced into service. The team rallied around and won another national championship for Ohio State and Urban Meyer. I would expect no less from Butch Jones and the UT Volunteers!

Everything I hear and read suggests that the depth at QB is similar to the late 90's. Unknown does not equate to unable. GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 5 people
I think we are 1 JG away from the depth of the 90s. We've got an experienced starter with 2 highly touted freshmen behind him, and 1 very athletic freshman that isn't going to be ready this year. The position is talented but not quite comfy in terms of depth.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope Dobbs stays healthy, but "if" something happened, QD isn't to shabby. I know he's young, but from I've seen he can throw it well, and I believe he has a head for the game.

Reactions: 1 person
I see a lot of hand wringing, worry, and concern about what might happen if Dobbs were to go down. I absolutely hope that he plays and plays well all year ... BUT, there was a team last year with a highly touted QB (even on Heismann lists) that went down to injury even before the first game. They turned to an inexperienced back-up and continued to win until he also went down. That left a raw freshman that was forced into service. The team rallied around and won another national championship for Ohio State and Urban Meyer. I
would expect no less from Butch Jones and the UT Volunteers!

Everything I hear and read suggests that the depth at QB is similar to the late 90's. Unknown does not equate to unable. GO BIG ORANGE!

Cardale Jones wasn't a raw Freshman. He was a 22 year old RS Sophomore originally from the 2011 class. In fact he was NFL draft eligible this year. Not sure it changes your narrative a great deal but OSU wasn't rolling out 18 y/o true Freshman quarterbacks last year.

Btw, our QB depth was better in 1997 compared to now and way worse in 1998 and 1999 compared to now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I believe we are at least as well off as this situation that we once had at pre-season:

"Although Martin is gifted as a runner, Tennessee cannot afford to expose him to too much contact via option plays since neither of his backups, redshirt freshman Burney Veazey and newcomer Joey Matthews, has ever taken a snap in a game."

Then we won a national championship.

Reactions: 4 people
Cardale Jones wasn't a raw Freshman. He was a 22 year old RS Sophomore originally from the 2011 class. In fact he was NFL draft eligible this year. Not sure it changes your narrative a great deal but OSU wasn't rolling out 18 y/o true Freshman quarterbacks last year.

Which makes a world of difference. But I like the point OP was trying to make.

Which makes a world of difference. But I like the point OP was trying to make.

Agree roll with who you got. Just can't remember a team with a true Freshman QB ever winning a national championship. It may have happened but its been a long time ago if it has.

I hope Dobbs stays healthy, but "if" something happened, QD isn't to shabby. I know he's young, but from I've seen he can throw it well, and I believe he has a head for the game.

At this point in time I feel Dormady actually has as much or more upside than Dobb's, some may argue, but Dormady is the real deal.

I really like QD as our QB for the future but Dobbs is the present and I hope that he stays healthy.

At this point in time I feel Dormady actually has as much or more upside than Dobb's, some may argue, but Dormady is the real deal.

Dormady is definitely a more naturally talented passer, but Dobbs is what the offense needs right now IMO. He makes our OL and RBs better because of his being a threat to run the ball.

Dormady can throw a nice deep ball. He might help out our WRs a bit more than Dobbs. However, if he takes over, teams are going to throw the house at him. I'm not sure our OL is strong enough to keep him upright.

Dormady is definitely a more naturally talented passer, but Dobbs is what the offense needs right now IMO. He makes our OL and RBs better because of his being a threat to run the ball.

Dormady can throw a nice deep ball. He might help out our WRs a bit more than Dobbs. However, if he takes over, teams are going to throw the house at him. I'm not sure our OL is strong enough to keep him upright.

I agree, with the right line he'll be good I think.

Looking forward to Dormady in the future. Dobbs is our man though. I was thinking the other day another perk to having a academically inclined qb is Dobbs will likely stay for his senior year.

Reactions: 2 people
Looking forward to Dormady in the future. Dobbs is our man though. I was thinking the other day another perk to having a academically inclined qb is Dobbs will likely stay for his senior year.

I think Dobbs is crazy smart and will earn his degree early before he is a senior. In theory he could leave early for the pros if he wanted to. Assuming and hoping he is good enough to do so.

I'd like to see young Mr. Dormady play against snot bubble blowing ready to tear his heart out SEC opposition before declaring he is the real deal. Only when the lights come on and the game is underway can we know. Many said the same of Peterson and trashed young Dobbs, but when the lights came on reality was revealed and reversed. Hope young Dormady is the real deal but WAY to early to make that point now.

But...but..but, Dormady is a slow Saltine American who can't run. He'd be Worley 2.0!

#blue font

Is Dormady as limited athletically as Worley was? Nah. He can run pretty well.

Is he as elusive as Dobbs? No way. Dobbs is downright slippery in the pocket and on the run. And he was still sacked 6 times against Mizzou.

I don't want to have to see Dormady thrown to the wolves yet. That has much more to do with the OL than it does with him.

What little I've seen of Dormady has impressed me but he has no SEC game experience. He's likely a shoe in for backup QB though.

Every young man who takes the field at the college level for the first time is drinking through a fire hose. Being bombarded with data faster than the senses can gather it or the mind can process it.

But not all that incoming data is equally important. That's the deepest/truest value of experience, is giving your senses and mind time to adjust to this new level of ball, and figure out what's most important to pay attention to at any given moment.

Dormady and our other freshman backup QBs haven't yet gone through that adjustment period. Can't quite get there in practice, only comes through game snaps.

And until they do go through that adjustment, we won't know how well they make it through, or what they look like on the other side.

So let's give it some time before declaring any one of our backups brilliant or bust. Dormady will probably get 1-2 quarters worth of exposure at the end of the BGSU game. That's the "fire hose inundation". Then watch how he looks at the tail end of the W. Carolina game; that'll be our first real indicator.

Go Vols!

I'm not going to count the OL out. They are truly battle tested. They have felt the pain, heard the comments/criticism, been working their butts off for another year in the weight room. Of course we saw at the end of last year how a mobile QB helped them. From all I have observed they are a tight knit group with something to prove.

Every young man who takes the field at the college level for the first time is drinking through a fire hose. Being bombarded with data faster than the senses can gather it or the mind can process it.

But not all that incoming data is equally important. That's the deepest/truest value of experience, is giving your senses and mind time to adjust to this new level of ball, and figure out what's most important to pay attention to at any given moment.

Dormady and our other freshman backup QBs haven't yet gone through that adjustment period. Can't quite get there in practice, only comes through game snaps.

And until they do go through that adjustment, we won't know how well they make it through, or what they look like on the other side.

So let's give it some time before declaring any one of our backups brilliant or bust. Dormady will probably get 1-2 quarters worth of exposure at the end of the BGSU game. That's the "fire hose inundation". Then watch how he looks at the tail end of the W. Carolina game; that'll be our first real indicator.

Go Vols!

Good post. I do believe that it is very important for the staff to get Dormady in games as early and as often as possible. Let him run the offense too, not just hand off all the time. The last few years have proven that it takes more than one QB for most teams to make it through the season.

I would think he would HAVE to while majoring in Aerospace Engineering AND playing football! Just a guess tho! But the future does look good for us in the QB position!

I think Dobbs is crazy smart and will earn his degree early before he is a senior. In theory he could leave early for the pros if he wanted to. Assuming and hoping he is good enough to do so.

Guess I'm out of the loop.....but i never thought Dobbs thought much about playing the pros....he did pick one of UT's most difficult major.

Is it in the best interest of the coaching staff to get QD snaps in the games that we are blowing other teams out, or should we try and redshirt him? You know Dooley burned Worley's RS and we hated him for it.

VN Store

Back