Butch has the potential to put about 8 coaches on the hot seat this year

Aesius

Oklahoma: Sooners fans are wishy-washy on Bob Stoops. He's good for 10-win seasons most years (including a pivotal season-defining loss), but they imploded last season and limped to 8-5, including a mid-tier bowl blowout at the hands of Clemson after being preseason playoff contenders. If "lowly Tennessee" beats OU right out of the gate in 2015, their fanbase will call for his head unless he unexpectedly runs the table after that game.

Florida: 10 wins in a row for the Gators. Beating Tennessee isn't just expected of UF's coaches, it's practically required. If McElwain drops the streak during his first season, Gator fans will probably start believing they have Zook 2.0 (or is it 3.0?) on their hands. If they also lose to Kentucky, all bets are off as to his future in Gainesville.

Georgia: Georgia fans are even more starved for a championship than we are. They're loaded with talent year in and year out but haven't won the conference in a decade or a national championship in 35 years. If Butch, working with a roster that's only about 75% rebuilt, beats Richt in year three, the pressure on him to retire/get fired will rise.

Arkansas: This is a bit of a stretch because I think Razorbacks fans are mostly happy with Bielema, but a loss to the Vols would be a painful pill for that fanbase to swallow, considering both programs started out on roughly equal footing when both coaches were hired.

Alabama: I think the Tide is in for a slight letdown of a season with a 9-3 record (the West is just too strong this year). If we're one of those three losses, Saban will start feeling uncomfortable in Tuscaloosa for the first time since 2007. Bama fans take beating Tennessee for granted almost as much as Florida fans, and upsetting the status quo won't sit pretty with them.

Kentucky: Tennessee always beats the **** out of Kentucky (except when it doesn't--thanks, Dooley!). But Stoops is recruiting well and should at the very least make Kentucky a bowl team fairly soon. However, another huge beatdown at the hands of the Vols won't inspire much confidence, especially if their season-ending outlook includes sitting at home in December yet again. Then again, we play them right before basketball season starts, so their fans will have forgotten about football by then anyway.

South Carolina: Never thought I would see the day where a Tennessee coach "owns" Spurrier, but Butch pulled off two miraculous wins against the man who tormented the Vols on a yearly basis in the 90s. Now Tennessee has a stronger roster and a chance to make it three in a row at home. I have to imagine that Spurrier will seriously consider retirement if he realizes his roster has fallen behind the Vols. He's too old to play catchup at this point in his career and the fans will probably turn on him if he delivers another 6-6 or worse season.

Vandy: Derek Mason is already a dead man walking, but Butch has the privilege of delivering the coup de grace to his tenure as head coach of the Vandy football team at Neyland this year. Last season's game was too close for comfort, and while Vandy frequently plays above their heads against Tennessee, a resounding loss at the hands of the "Viles" will be the death knell for Mr. Mason.

Reactions: 5 people
Oklahoma: Sooners fans are wishy-washy on Bob Stoops. He's good for 10-win seasons most years (including a pivotal season-defining loss), but they imploded last season and limped to 8-5, including a mid-tier bowl blowout at the hands of Clemson after being preseason playoff contenders. If "lowly Tennessee" beats OU right out of the gate in 2015, their fanbase will call for his head unless he unexpectedly runs the table after that game.

Florida: 10 wins in a row for the Gators. Beating Tennessee isn't just expected of UF's coaches, it's practically required. If McElwain drops the streak during his first season, Gator fans will probably start believing they have Zook 2.0 (or is it 3.0?) on their hands. If they also lose to Kentucky, all bets are off as to his future in Gainesville.

Georgia: Georgia fans are even more starved for a championship than we are. They're loaded with talent year in and year out but haven't won the conference in a decade or a national championship in 35 years. If Butch, working with a roster that's only about 75% rebuilt, beats Richt in year three, the pressure on him to retire/get fired will rise.

Arkansas: This is a bit of a stretch because I think Razorbacks fans are mostly happy with Bielema, but a loss to the Vols would be a painful pill for that fanbase to swallow, considering both programs started out on roughly equal footing when both coaches were hired.

Alabama: I think the Tide is in for a slight letdown of a season with a 9-3 record (the West is just too strong this year). If we're one of those three losses, Saban will start feeling uncomfortable in Tuscaloosa for the first time since 2007. Bama fans take beating Tennessee for granted almost as much as Florida fans, and upsetting the status quo won't sit pretty with them.

Kentucky: Tennessee always beats the **** out of Kentucky (except when it doesn't--thanks, Dooley!). But Stoops is recruiting well and should at the very least make Kentucky a bowl team fairly soon. However, another huge beatdown at the hands of the Vols won't inspire much confidence, especially if their season-ending outlook includes sitting at home in December yet again. Then again, we play them right before basketball season starts, so their fans will have forgotten about football by then anyway.

South Carolina: Never thought I would see the day where a Tennessee coach "owns" Spurrier, but Butch pulled off two miraculous wins against the man who tormented the Vols on a yearly basis in the 90s. Now Tennessee has a stronger roster and a chance to make it three in a row at home. I have to imagine that Spurrier will seriously consider retirement if he realizes his roster has fallen behind the Vols. He's too old to play catchup at this point in his career and the fans will probably turn on him if he delivers another 6-6 or worse season.

Vandy: Derek Mason is already a dead man walking, but Butch has the privilege of delivering the coup de grace to his tenure as head coach of the Vandy football team at Neyland this year. Last season's game was too close for comfort, and while Vandy frequently plays above their heads against Tennessee, a resounding loss at the hands of the "Viles" will be the death knell for Mr. Mason.

I think Oklahoma, Kentucky,South Carolina and Vanderbilt will be looking for new head coaches in 2016.

Reactions: 1 person
Saban could go 6-6 and wouldn't be on any kind of hotseat. Most Bama fans I talk to have said even if he is an average 10 win coach from here out what he has accomplished so far has him worth the pay.

Reactions: 7 people
I think Oklahoma, Kentucky,South Carolina and Vanderbilt will be looking for new head coaches in 2016.

With all the hype around UGA to win the East this year, say they slip (which is what they do best) and fall into that 3rd spot behind the Vols and Mizzou and I think UGA joins your list in 2016.

Saban could go 6-6 and wouldn't be on any kind of hotseat. Most Bama fans I talk to have said even if he is an average 10 win coach from here out what he has accomplished so far has him worth the pay.

Agreed, and saying that a loss to Tennessee would put Saban anywhere close to being on the hot seat is just a wild exaggeration IMO.

With all the hype around UGA to win the East this year, say they slip (which is what they do best) and fall into that 3rd spot behind the Vols and Mizzou and I think UGA joins your list in 2016.

I agree with you he'll be on the hotseat if UGA doesn't win the SEC East. I think UGAG will be 8-4 in 2015 losing to South Carolina,Alabama,Auburn and GT to end the regular season.

I think only Vandy will be looking for a new coach after this season.
Ok - Program has had a lot of recent success.
FL - No way a new coach is on the hot seat after 1 season.
GA - They've settled for "almost" forever. Why stop now?
Ark - Program isn't there yet but is headed in the right direction.
Bama - Seriously?
Kentucky - They're used to losing. They know they have a decent coach turning things around slowly, and their program isn't going to attract any big names.
SC - Their program wasn't relevant before Spurrier. They won't give him the boot after a couple of bad years.

Reactions: 7 people
Bama - Seriously?
Kentucky - They're used to losing. They know they have a decent coach turning things around slowly, and their program isn't going to attract any big names.
SC - Their program wasn't relevant before Spurrier. They won't give him the boot after a couple of bad years.

A lot of Oklahoma fans were calling for Bob Stoops head after last season. I think Oklahoma goes 8-4(losing to Tennessee,Kansas State,Baylor and TCU)that will cost Bob Stoops his job. I think Kentucky will fire Mark Stoops after UK has losing seasons in 2015 and 2016. It would be wild if Lane Kiffin coached UK in 2017 :eek:lol:

This is how far we've sunk?!

Lose to UT and you're fired? :(

Not exactly, though I see where you're coming from.

And I don't agree with all 8 of the OP's list. But here are a few I do agree with, and why it doesn't necessarily mean "we've sunk":

Oklahoma -- It's because of Bob Stoops' mouth, plus part of the Oklahoma fanbase not (yet) realizing that the Tennessee program is back. Stoops has to beat the SEC every time he plays them now, or his words get thrown back at him. Fair or not. And from a Sooner fan's perspective, Tennessee is the team that has had a net losing record the past seven years. A year from now, they'll respect a loss to the Vols more than they will this September.

Georgia -- Loss to Tennessee will be less about "how'd THEY beat us" than it will be a recognition by Dawg fans that their chances of ever winning an SEC or National championship with him are slim and growing slimmer each year.

South Carolina -- The fans will never force Spurrier out. But Spurrier will force Spurrier out. Another loss to the Vols just might be the tipping point.

Those are the three I most strongly agree with, from the OP's list.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
Seasons and coaches are always a body of work so one game rarely plays a majority role. If UT is as good as hyped then a loss to us would be relatively low impact except possibly UGA and USC.

Coach McElwain will not be on a hot seat for a loss to Tennessee. Florida was picked 5th in the SEC East media days and the vast majority of Florida faithful know why. For the first time in a long time, people understand that a rebuild is necessary.

But, I'll have fun and go a step farther.

The potential of Butch Jones being on the hot seat is greater than any coach of the schools in that list.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't think a loss to just UT would make any one on the hotseat. It would take a lot more.

Last edited:
Coach McElwain will not be on a hot seat for a loss to Tennessee. Florida was picked 5th in the SEC East media days and the vast majority of Florida faithful know why. For the first time in a long time, people understand that a rebuild is necessary.

The potential of Butch Jones being on the hot seat is greater than any coach of the schools in that list.

Agree

Bama - Seriously?

Not saying anyone will get fired for losing to Jones. Big difference between hotseat and fired. But Tennessee is in a unique position to make a lot of coaches and fanbases uncomfortable this season, and much of it is due to our recent suckage and the lack of respect for the program in general.

Everyone outside of Kentucky and Vandy fans expects to beat Tennessee this year and for the foreseeable future.

Care to explain why you think that?

I strongly disagree with this. I think if Saban wins 8 or less games this year Bama fans will say he is done. He's a victim of his own success at this point.

I strongly disagree with this. I think if Saban wins 8 or less games this year Bama fans will say he is done. He's a victim of his own success at this point.

I agree. It's nice in theory to say that "Oh, he's earned the right to do whatever," but it never works that way. 8-4 or worse, especially if Auburn beats them and wins the West, will have Bama fans kicking buckets of lightbulbs all over the state.

#1 Bama isn't losing more than 2 games, so that point is moot.

#2 Fans grumbling won't make any difference. They won't stop buying tickets, and Saban has a lifetime contract as long as the AD has their license to print money.

On this, we absolutely disagree. There are at least a few coaches on that list who will face the hot seat next year if 2015 doesn't go significantly better than recent years. For instance: Bielema. Another 2-6 or worse SEC result and his seat will definitely heat up. Mason: the elevator ride down from Franklin to Mason was wayyyy too fast. Another 3-9 season will definitely put him on the hot seat, if not out the door. And finally, Spurrier. Ironically, he himself is the one stoking the fire under his seat.

Butch, on the other hand, will not find his seat hot in 2016. Even if we were to go 7-6 again, it would only get mildly warm. He has done too much good in too short a time not to get one great big old Mulligan.

Mr. Fulmer says you are wrong.....

Reactions: 4 people
On this, we absolutely disagree. There are at least a few coaches on that list who will face the hot seat next year if 2015 doesn't go significantly better than recent years. For instance: Bielema. Another 2-6 or worse SEC result and his seat will definitely heat up. Mason: the elevator ride down from Franklin to Mason was wayyyy too fast. Another 3-9 season will definitely put him on the hot seat, if not out the door. And finally, Spurrier. Ironically, he himself is the one stoking the fire under his seat.

Butch, on the other hand, will not find his seat hot in 2016. Even if we were to go 7-6 again, it would only get mildly warm. He has done too much good in too short a time not to get one great big old Mulligan.

Agreed. Butch would be fine (but not in great shape by any means) with 7-6. The fans wouldn't be over the moon like they were last season, but making a bowl game is still something we don't even take for granted.

He absolutely has to get results in 2016, though. The roster will be too good for anything less than 9-3, and even that will be a slight disappointment.

Care to explain why you think that?

Sure. He's the coach with the greatest expectations and worst resume.

Bob Stoops has been at Oklahoma 10+ seasons and has won numerous conference titles and a national title.

Coach Mac just got to Florida.

Coach Saban needs no explanation.

Spurrier is beloved at South Carolina. He doesn't have a hot seat.

Vandy and KY have no expectations. I'm sure KY would like to go bowling, but it's KY and Vandy.

Arkansas is moving in the right direction and people are excited about it without having the expectations that Arkansas win 10 games this season.

Mark Richt has been at Georgia 10+ years and while fans may grumble here and there has never been anywhere close to any real trouble at Georgia.

Now, let's go to Butch. Tennessee losing to Oklahoma, Georgia, and Florida are entirely possible. And if, again IF, that happened, Volnation would reach DEFCON 1. Expectations are so high that the possibility of this happening is inconceivable to people. And he doesn't have the resume of the other guys that another disappointing season would put him on the front burner real quick.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back