Oklahoma; Smoke The Sooners

volsdeepinva

"I Play For Keeps"
Recently me and my friends have been talking a lot about the amount of hype surrounding the Oklahoma game. There are so many reasons that Knoxville should be ready to explode over this one; Stoop's trash talk, revenge scenario, our first big home game, two nationally ranked teams, night game on the national stage, not to mention the fact that we're actually supposed to be good this year!...the list goes on.

In an effort to add to the excitement we're hoping to throw some support in for the movement to wear the new Smokey Grays. I know it's unconventional to wear the Alts in the first home game against a non SEC opponent but I think in this case it just makes sense.

During the SEC media days Curt Maggitt was asked when the Vols should breakout the new Smokey Gray uniforms and his response was “The first home game”.

Maggitt: Vols football Smokey Gray helmets 'honor' Tennessee

Le'ts get Volnation and Twitter involved and do everything we can to show CBJ we back this. Use #SmokeTheSooners and #CheckerNeyland and let's get it going! What say you? GBO!

Reactions: 9 people
Recently me and my friends have been talking a lot about the amount of hype surrounding the Oklahoma game. There are so many reasons that Knoxville should be ready to explode over this one; Stoop's trash talk, revenge scenario, our first big home game, two nationally ranked teams, night game on the national stage, not to mention the fact that we're actually supposed to be good this year!...the list goes on.

In an effort to add to the excitement we're hoping to throw some support in for the movement to wear the new Smokey Grays. I know it's unconventional to wear the Alts in the first home game against a non SEC opponent but I think in this case it just makes sense.

During the SEC media days Curt Maggitt was asked when the Vols should breakout the new Smokey Gray uniforms and his response was “The first home game”.

Le'ts get Volnation and Twitter involved and do everything we can to show CBJ we back this. Use #SmokeTheSooners and #CheckerNeyland and let's get it going! What say you? GBO!

No, Orange and White please

Reactions: 29 people
Nice post.

Maggitt is a team leader. And if the players want it, then I'm for it. My personal preference would be the traditionals though. The game is sold out, and the stadium will be filled with orange and white. Of course, every game but Homecoming will probably sell out. But as the first game, I'd prefer to stick with traditional.

Reactions: 6 people
Let's do it! Let's pull out all the stops... It's our only guaranteed night game on a major network. What a great opportunity to gain national exposure and recruit. And what do recruits love? Smokey grays.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 26
I actually think the Smokie Greys wouldn't be that bad of an idea. May give the team an extra bump for a big game early in the season that could be big for recruiting on a national stage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the Orange, but sometimes you have to mix it up for the greater good.

NO! No gimmicks for a huge interconference battle. Orange/White and smother the red. Make a TV statement not a marketing show.

GO BIG GREY just doesn't sound right

GO BIG ORANGE!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I think it's already been pretty much decided that we will checker that game. And most likely we only see Neyland get checkered once and the grays once. Might as well spread them out. I say checker for Oklahoma and gray for UGA

The orange / white checker in the stands would look AMAZING on national tv under the lights of a night game.

Attachments

• 2015-07-22-07-58-30-1122907270.jpeg
    2015-07-22-07-58-30-1122907270.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 843
Reactions: 11 people
Orange and white for first home game, please. Checkerboard stadium would be extremely cool.

Use the grey uniform (which I personally dislike) later in the year, Arkansas or Georgia.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 5 people

Not sure I would count on this

Orange and white for first home game, please. Checkerboard stadium would be extremely cool.

Use the grey uniform (which I personally dislike) later in the year, Arkansas or Georgia.

Go Vols!

I'd vote Arkansas too. Non-traditional unis for our non-traditional opponent. Stick with the O&Ws for the SEC teams we play every year.

Reactions: 1 person
Let's do it! Let's pull out all the stops... It's our only guaranteed night game on a major network. What a great opportunity to gain national exposure and recruit. And what do recruits love? Smokey grays.

Let's don't. Classic O&W please. Save some stops for the next 10 games.

Smokey gray does not look good in night games. Looked awesome vs UGA, then like not so good against Vandy.

No kidding. I just played road to glory on NCAA 14 and Bowling Green was ranked #1 for like half the season...

We could easily drop that first game and be out of the top 25 like that...

/s

LOL...WHAT! I saw Bowling Green play in the bowl game against South Alabama. They are absolutely not even close to the same level as us. It was a good game, pretty even talent but both of the teams would be lucky to put up any points at all if playing team 118, let alone team 119.

I'm hoping your /s at the end of your post meant something about sarcasm. I think we beat BG 34 to 3 and Dormady is under center in the 4th.

Checkering Neyland with Orange and White and wearing smokey gray uniforms does not make sense. If we're going to checker Neyland, let's show Orange and White on the field

Reactions: 8 people
LOL...WHAT! I saw Bowling Green play in the bowl game against South Alabama. They are absolutely not even close to the same level as us. It was a good game, pretty even talent but both of the teams would be lucky to put up any points at all if playing team 118, let alone team 119.

I'm hoping your /s at the end of your post meant something about sarcasm. I think we beat BG 34 to 3 and Dormady is under center in the 4th.

I think Dormady is under center after the first series in the second half. If we can't take care of business with BG, then we have bigger issues than what color unis to wear this year.

Reactions: 4 people

Yes. It was sarcasm. Should have used the blue font...

I'm not usually superstitious, but would prefer "a win" game, not a toss up to break them out. Like other posters, that game will be so hyped, I want the nation to see the orange and white.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back