Josh Dobbs/ Justin Worley vs. Oklahoma

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
For those that didn't notice, Oklahoma absolutely rang our bell last season. I agree the score didn't accurately reflect the way the game was played, but regardless we were dominated at all angles. They are returning the good majority of their team, including Eric Striker, who now legally owns property in our backfield.

Regardless, Tennessee fans are spewing overconfidence about this game in every form of social media possible. Sure, we'll be better on the O-line, the loss of Justin Coleman is addition by subtraction, the loss of Bajakian immediately makes us better, and we are no longer a team of freshmen. But Tennessee fans are confident about this game for one reason: Astro Dobbs.

I decided to do some research to see if this confidence is warranted. Obviously Dobbs didn't play against Oklahoma last year, so I found the closest defense I could to Oklahoma's that Dobbs played against. Mizzou, like Oklahoma, was strongest in their front seven. Mizzou was ranked about 28 spots higher in total defense, but they were stronger in the front, weaker in the secondary, just like Oklahoma.

Looking at stats:

Worley vs. Oklahoma:

201 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT

Dobbs vs. Mizzou:

195 yards. 1 rushing TD. 1 INT.

Fairly similar, and again, keep in mind, Mizzou is a much higher ranked Defense than Oklahoma. But again, is this enough to be extremely confident? There must be an X-factor....

Stoops brought the house almost every down last year, and rightfully so. We didn't have the O-line to handle it. Oklahoma is still going to be one of the bigger tests of this O-line, so how is Dobbs going to handle that this year?

Worley did what he was supposed to do here, he stepped up and moved a bit. I think he ended up with a decent, but risky throw. I think Dobbs picks up some yardage here, then hopefully he gets down.

Here we see Worley essentially doing what Worley did. He's looking off his receivers, and in what would have been an obvious run situation, his mind is on the open receiver. The O-line woes were terrible, but this is a great example of how to worsen a bad O-line. I don't mean that to bash Worley, the guy just wasn't a runner.

Worley finally moves a bit here, but just to avoid pressure. He doesn't run for positive yardage. If this is Dobbs, he hits the wide open gap with one defender downfield to beat. Dobbs is more than capable of beating one defender, this is a massive gain if not a TD.

Basically, seeing Dobbs as the X-factor is entirely justifiable. I doubt Stoops game plans the exact same way in 2015, but the strength of Oklahoma isn't going to play nearly as heavily to our weakness this year. You can bring the house every down if you want, but if you try that and you miss Dobbs, you will get roasted for enormous gains every time.

Gameday can't be here soon enough.

Reactions: 55 people
That was actually a good post. I agree with Dobbs being the x factor in this game. I know the Sooners will be tough, but like you said, if they bring the house and miss, he's gone or hits an open receiver.

Reactions: 1 person
For those that didn't notice, Oklahoma absolutely rang our bell last season. I agree the score didn't accurately reflect the way the game was played, but regardless we were dominated at all angles. They are returning the good majority of their team, including Eric Striker, who now legally owns property in our backfield.

Regardless, Tennessee fans are spewing overconfidence about this game in every form of social media possible. Sure, we'll be better on the O-line, the loss of Justin Coleman is addition by subtraction, the loss of Bajakian immediately makes us better, and we are no longer a team of freshmen. But Tennessee fans are confident about this game for one reason: Astro Dobbs.

I decided to do some research to see if this confidence is warranted. Obviously Dobbs didn't play against Oklahoma last year, so I found the closest defense I could to Oklahoma's that Dobbs played against. Mizzou, like Oklahoma, was strongest in their front seven. Mizzou was ranked about 28 spots higher in total defense, but they were stronger in the front, weaker in the secondary, just like Oklahoma.

Looking at stats:

Worley vs. Oklahoma:

201 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT

Dobbs vs. Mizzou:

Fairly similar, and again, keep in mind, Mizzou is a much higher ranked Defense than Oklahoma. But again, is this enough to be extremely confident? There must be an X-factor....

Stoops brought the house almost every down last year, and rightfully so. We didn't have the O-line to handle it. Oklahoma is still going to be one of the bigger tests of this O-line, so how is Dobbs going to handle that this year?

Worley did what he was supposed to do here, he stepped up and moved a bit. I think he ended up with a decent, but risky throw. I think Dobbs picks up some yardage here, then hopefully he gets down.

Here we see Worley essentially doing what Worley did. He's looking off his receivers, and in what would have been an obvious run situation, his mind is on the open receiver. The O-line woes were terrible, but this is a great example of how to worsen a bad O-line. I don't mean that to bash Worley, the guy just wasn't a runner.

Worley finally moves a bit here, but just to avoid pressure. He doesn't run for positive yardage. If this is Dobbs, he hits the wide open gap with one defender downfield to beat. Dobbs is more than capable of beating one defender, this is a massive gain if not a TD.

Basically, seeing Dobbs as the X-factor is entirely justifiable. I doubt Stoops game plans the exact same way in 2015, but the strength of Oklahoma isn't going to play nearly as heavily to our weakness this year. You can bring the house every down if you want, but if you try that and you miss Dobbs, you will get roasted for enormous gains every time.

Oklahoma wont blitz and leave dobbs and hurd with chances of big plays made by their legs. With Worley, he was a sitting duck, but if they blitz a running qb then it could be bad for news for bobby stoops. Also, a blitz leaves your d in man, so if dobbs breaks loose then hes gone cause nobody on the backend is looking. Just saying, hard to break down film of two qbs that are completely different. Also, mizzou didn't have to blitz as much because they generated great pass rush with their d line. Oklahoma must blitz, since they use a 3-4 and they rely on backer pressure for a pass rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Oklahoma wont blitz and leave dobbs and hurd for chances of big plays. With Worley, he was a sitting duck, but you blitz a running qb is bad news (or at least like they blitzed Worley ). Also, a blitz leaves your d in man, so if dobbs breaks loose then hes gone cause nobody looking. Just saying, hard to break down film of two qbs that are compketely different. Also, mizzou didn't have to blitz as much because they generated great pass rush with their d line. Oklahoma must blitz since they use a 3-4.

Right. Essentially that's my point. Their blitzing and bringing constant pressure on QB's was their strength last year, and it worked miserably well against our weakness, which was the O-line and the sitting duck QB. Their strength no longer plays to our weakness like it did last year. We have an answer for what lost us the game in 2014, Stoops is going to have to hope he can find a different mismatch. If he tries the same strategy, it will very much play in our favor.

Last edited:
Alot can change in a year. Hell alot changes in one season. Oklahoma was not the same team by the end of the year that they were when they beat us. And we definitely were not the same team that lost to them by the end of the season. Its a fools errand IMO to read too much into that game and try and extrapolate from it into this season. If you don't believe me, look no further than the Vegas line.

Also, are you gonna go on the Ohio State's message board and tell them what a big challenge they have against Virginia Tech because they beat them last year?

Reactions: 2 people

It'll be interesting. From what I've gathered over the off season Debord is going to try and prevent Dobbs from running quite as much as he did last year and utilize the WR's more. That being said though when Dobbs finds himself in a jam though, and he will, he's not going to hesitate to turn the wheels on.

We will learn a lot from this game this year. This will be the first of many games against teams with a great RB. Our d-line will be tested early and often, and hopefully the addition to the depth chart there will pay off.

We will also see just how much the o-line has improved with off-season growth and practice. Dobbs is a special talent and if the guys around him have improved then it should be a very good game.

Alot can change in a year. Hell alot changes in one season. Oklahoma was not the same team by the end of the year that they were when they beat us. And we definitely were not the same team that lost to them by the end of the season. Its a fools errand IMO to read too much into that game and try and extrapolate from it into this season. If you don't believe me, look no further than the Vegas line.

Also, are you gonna go on the Ohio State's message board and tell them what a big challenge they have against Virginia Tech because they beat them last year?
I believe you that people read alot into last years outcomes a little much at times. But UT opened at -2 over OU that is now at -3 last I saw?

Air Dobbs. He has cannons, he has sidewinder missiles, and if all else fails, he can just lower the landing gear and use the wheels.

Yep, it's going to be a bit different of a game this year.

Nice write-up, Chatt! Go Vols!

It will be a defining game to see they change our team has made, they are missing some key positions from the prior year but so are we.

Worley was a sitting duck, OU could have made it worst than it was...

Dobbs will make each defender to play their position, we just need to take care of the ball.

One quick note. I hate how everyone is so quick to pile on Coach Jake. Yes, his offense was pretty pedestrian while Worley was QB, but with the O-line issues and the fact that Worley was about as mobile as Betty White, it is my personal opinion that no OC could have done any better. Keep in mind it was Coach Jake that called plays in the USC Jr game, and his offenses were very dynamic at Cinci when actually had a mobile QB. You can only polish a turd so much, just saying!

We will learn a lot from this game this year. This will be the first of many games against teams with a great RB. Our d-line will be tested early and often, and hopefully the addition to the depth chart there will pay off.

We will also see just how much the o-line has improved with off-season growth and practice. Dobbs is a special talent and if the guys around him have improved then it should be a very good game.

It's interesting you wrote this as I wrote the same thing about last year's OU game. I didn't think UT would beat OU last season but I did think it would give the coaches a blueprint for the SEC schedule.

I thought the coaching staff would find ways to buy Worley time my moving him around, etc.

Nice write-up OP! I agree Dobbs will be a huge difference maker in the game.

To me, the biggest difference maker will be our DL against their OL. They lost 4 OL starters I believe. And when we played them last year, our DL was finding it's rhythm. Barnett had 1 sack in his first 6 games and then went on to have a very impressive freshman year. Couple his development with the added depth we now have and the home advantage, and I think our D will cause them many problems.

Just speaking for myself, I'm not overly confident that we'll win the game. But I know we are more than capable of winning (and even making a statement) if we play to our potential.

I can't imagine that both teams have not changed. UT will have the biggest change factor in this game. OL has matured, new QB, different backfield and TEs have vastly improved their blocking and routes. I would never underestimate this OK team, they do return some very good players. Oh, by the way, this is being played in Knoxvegas and can see UT fans getting loud and proud on every single down when OK has the ball. Let them feel the rumble of 105K+ Vol Fans yelling for 4 quarters....we are the 12th man that day and I won't let UT down!!!

Go Vols!:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Reactions: 3 people
Great post. I do disagree that Oklahoma dominated us at all angles, since I actually think that game was quite competitive and played very closely, if it weren't for our inept offensive line and some very bad turnovers by Worley (and one missed-call turnover on a fumble against OU in the first half). That game could and should have been so much closer. That's partly why I'm so confident heading into this year's game, because I know we are better at basically every position this year, not to mention playing at home in front of what will be an absolute bonkers crowd. I'm fired up.

That game last year was a strange one - I felt like we were getting our asses handed to us, but we kept it closer than it should have been.

The story of that game was absolutely the pressure on Worley - we can knock him for not evading that DL, but he was getting no time at all. It was like watching an NFL DL vs a High School OL.

I do think the elusiveness of Dobbs gives us an out when the line breaks down, but I think the story of this game (and our season) will once again hinge on the OL. An offseason, health, and DeBord should give them marked improvement.

Looking at stats:

Worley vs. Oklahoma:

201 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT

Dobbs vs. Mizzou:

I really don't get the Missouri/Oklahoma...Worley/Dobbs comparison?
Dobbs had 13 rushes for 17 yards and was sacked 6 times. against Missouri
In my opinion Dobbs did not play well against Missouri or Vanderbilt. I hope we see the Iowa Dobbs but not the 4th quarter Iowa Dobbs not sure what some of those runs were at the end. Was he trying to run the clock out and love Butch but that was no time to have your starting QB running

100,000+ rabid Vol fans at Neyland, a percieved (I say that positively) better O-line and the same defense makes TN one hell of a test for my boys in crimson. I can't find any fault in this post. Both teams have made changes, both in player and coaches. The only hope I think most sooner fans have going into this season is new personnel (new in one sense, old in the other). Having Frank Shannon back at LB from suspension will add depth to the LB corps. Striker will more than likely play at LB as well (at least that is the talk). The secondary should be improved and ready by the time TN rolls around. Alexander and Evans should show improvement from youthful experience. Dobbs will be one hell of a QB to defend. I wouldn't put it past Mike or Bob Stoops to game plan for him the way they would for Boykin at TCU. Hope for a great game and good luck in your season. (I wish OU would have jumped at the invite to the SEC a few years ago, but oh well, is what it is).

Regardless, Tennessee fans are spewing overconfidence about this game in every form of social media possible. Sure, we'll be better on the O-line, the loss of Justin Coleman is addition by subtraction, the loss of Bajakian immediately makes us better.
Last time I checked, Coleman was on the Viking's roster and Bajakian was a newly minted NFL coach.

Is it really necessary to rip a player like that? A coach? Ok... but only if you did it WHILE he was actually employed. But Coleman played through a lot of crap in his career, worked hard, and didn't quit. Show some respect.

But Tennessee fans are confident about this game for one reason: Astro Dobbs.
I am a UT fan. Astro Dobbs is not the only or perhaps even primary source of my confidence. Therefore your premise is completely false.

As for the rest, OU last year was early. The young players weren't ready for it. Dobbs... wouldn't have been ready for it either.

UT should be a exponentially better team this fall for many reasons. The OL should be better. The RB's should be better to include Hurd. The TE's should be much better. And hopefully... the WR's will finally fulfill the promise of their talent. On D, the only position I see that UT will definitely struggle to improve at from last year is MLB.

I love Dobbs' game and always have. I really like him as a personality and player. But OU will find just as much to exploit with him as they did with Worley if his downfield passing has not improved. Vandy and MU were able to do that. Vandy certainly doesn't have elite athletes like OU.

Reactions: 3 people
Good thread. I like the breakdown showing running lanes available. While I still think this years Oklahoma game will be a good indicator of how much we have improved, I do feel it will be a shoot out. Go Vols!

Oklahoma wont blitz and leave dobbs and hurd with chances of big plays made by their legs. With Worley, he was a sitting duck, but if they blitz a running qb then it could be bad for news for bobby stoops. Also, a blitz leaves your d in man, so if dobbs breaks loose then hes gone cause nobody on the backend is looking. Just saying, hard to break down film of two qbs that are completely different. Also, mizzou didn't have to blitz as much because they generated great pass rush with their d line. Oklahoma must blitz, since they use a 3-4 and they rely on backer pressure for a pass rush.

Worley was a threat down field but not to take off and make big yards with his feet. As of the end of last year to include Iowa, Dobbs was a threat to run but not to throw it down field. OU will scheme for Dobbs differently but for UT to see a big difference in that match up Dobbs has to have similar downfield passing ability to Worley.

Really good informative post fellow Chatt towner. Your deserve some likes for this post.

That being said, your logic went off the tracks early on though ...

... while Josh is certainly A reason for optimism, he is not the ONE reason.

I would include the following to go along with the Dobbs factor:

* 100,000 in Orange
* Improved & matured secondary
* Upgraded & matured RBs
* Expected OL improvement
* Emergence of a possibly dominating DL
* Improved & matured TE
* Better depth and experience across the board
* OUs disappointing late season
* Vols late season gel
* OUs questions of new staff
* Vols continuity of staff

This game is a toss up IMO. Can't wait.

Looking at stats:

Worley vs. Oklahoma:

201 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT

Dobbs vs. Mizzou:

Good post, but in each screen shot I see 2-3 unblocked linebackers or DBs so while a QB with some running skills can make some positive yards, I'm not sure any of them would be touchdowns.

Really good informative post fellow Chatt towner. Your deserve some likes for this post.

That being said, your logic went off the tracks early on though ...

... while Josh is certainly A reason for optimism, he is not the ONE reason.

I would include the following to go along with the Dobbs factor:

* 100,000 in Orange
* Improved & matured secondary
* Upgraded & matured RBs
* Expected OL improvement
* Emergence of a possibly dominating DL
* Improved & matured TE
* Better depth and experience across the board
* OUs disappointing late season
* Vols late season gel
* OUs questions of new staff
* Vols continuity of staff

This game is a toss up IMO. Can't wait.

That's fair. I probably should have said "the biggest reason UT fans are confident"

VN Store

Back