What GT fans are saying about 2017 game

skasper06

Mods you can merge if you want. I thought it'd be cool to have a separate conversation just on what the Georgia Tech fans are saying about the 2017 opener in Atlanta against us.

Paul Myerberg ✔@PaulMyerberg
The worst part about playing Ga Tech is that Tennessee can spend all offseason preparing for that offense and still give up 450 yds rushing

Tennessee is projected to be pretty good in 2017, some say they may break out this year.

Haha I have heard that from their fan base for the past two years.

2? I have heard it for longer than that. Kiffen and Dooley really screwed things up for them.

Very true. FWIW, I enjoy college football better when FL and TN are good.

Both teams will be starting new QBs. I hope Christian Campbell is ready to go.

Now there's two SEC teams that can't chicken out of playing us- Mutts (every year) & UT in 2017. Maybe I'm speaking too soon because 2 years is a long time.

One thing I do know is that no matter how good our uniforms look it's going to be UGLY in the dome that day with all that orange. You can't hide orange even with the fan favorite GT blue uniforms.

Lastly, does anyone have the picture of the UT guy taking his date (sheep) to the game picture? That one's hilarious.

A game planned this far out means the amount of orange in the stands might match the number UT players, prospective and current, who think they'll be a part of the game.

I gotta go to this. We need to make this a home game...will be very tough though especially with Tennessee's following.

If Butch Jones is still there, Tennessee will still be good. Josh Dobbs will be gone, but Tennessee is loading up with a LOT of talent that will be playing the next two seasons before 2017.

Reactions: 7 people
GT is peaking at this time, could be a great game and it will test the discipline that CBJ and staff are preaching. If UT does not have a lot of early exist to the NFL, I don't see GT holding up 4 quarters with what could be a top 5 team in 2017.

Go Team 121!

Ha! I love how they call the Dawgs "Mutts." That may be one worth adopting. :)

This is gonna be a fun game. I have liked Ga Tech as a program for many years. It'll be good to go toe-to-toe with them again. :good!:

Reactions: 8 people

This is gonna be a fun game. I have liked Ga Tech as a program for many years. It'll be good to go toe-to-toe with them again. :good!:

UGAG(University of Georgia Athens Georgia) is another good term to use when talking about the University of Georgia

Reactions: 1 person
they are one of the most up and down teams in the nation. seems like they have always been a couple years good, then a more than that bad. if i was their fans i would be waiting to see before running my mouth too much. they haven't put up a consistent streak in a while. Not saying we have either, just saying.

Stupid game to schedule, IMO.

No upside to it. We recruit Atlanta VERY well so what's the deal?

Play another West Coast team and get into California again.

I've always liked Tech because they feel the same way about UGA as I do.

Reactions: 10 people

The SEC wants that kickoff opening game against the ACC. I hope the players don't put that stupid looking helmet on Butch that they put on Derek Dooley after beating NCSU.

they are one of the most up and down teams in the nation. seems like they have always been a couple years good, then a more than that bad. if i was their fans i would be waiting to see before running my mouth too much. they haven't put up a consistent streak in a while. Not saying we have either, just saying.

Come on now, when has any fan base of college football ever had a wait and see approach to smack talk?

I'm glad we're renewing the rivalry. It used to be one of the best in college football.

And I like our odds with either Dormady or Guarantano at QB. We'll have less trouble with Tech than
UGA does.

BTW, right now our DL projects as McKenzie and Tuttle, and Phillips and Taylor on the edge. Yep, I like
them odds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people

While I do agree and really want to do a home and home with USC, I think this game is about showing the whole nation that Tennessee gets to play in awesome venues similar to Bristol. We recruit east Tennessee/western VA very well. But it's about the venue. Playing in Atlantas brand new, fancy arena is pretty cool and being a prime time game on Labor Day means the whole nation will see it.

Last edited:
While I do agree and really want to do a home and home with USC, I think this game is about showing the whole nation that Tennessee gets to play in awesome venues similar to Bristol. We recruit east Tennessee/western VA very well. But it's about the venue. Playing in Atlantas brand new, fancy arena is petty cool and being a prime time game on Labor Day means the whole nation will see it.

Yeah I swore I'd never go to another game in Atlanta, but I'm going to make an exception for
the Tech game, and hopefully this December I finally get to use my season tickets again.

A strong defensive line is the kryponite for option offenses. In 2017, we should be in great shape.

I must say I'm excited about this game. My sister is actually a GT grad so it'll be a family rivalry game to say the least (even though she could care less about football haha). I'll be in attendance for sure. Without a doubt we will outnumber tech fans... Prob similar to the nc state game..

I must say I'm excited about this game. My sister is actually a GT grad so it'll be a family rivalry game to say the least (even though she could care less about football haha). I'll be in attendance for sure. Without a doubt we will outnumber tech fans... Prob similar to the nc state game..

Naw Tech will bring plenty of fans if they are hyped preseason.

Gonna pull a Vol_Rex and drop some stats.

An underrated, old rivalry. Programs established a year within each other in 1891 and 1892. Obviously both were in the SIAA for a while. First game in 1902, yearly until 1911. Picked up in 46-49. But then it really picked up. 31 games in between 1954-1981. 19 wins for UT, 10 for Georgia Tech, with two ties. UT took control starting the 70's and 80's, but as a whole the average game score is 14 - 13 in favor of UT.

Reactions: 13 people

That makes zero sense. I cant recall when we've ever had more than 2 guys from Cali in any one signing
class. Recruiting California sucks up resources for very little reward. Even Kiffin had the good sense to stay
out of there.

Once Butch sinks his hooks in the Atlanta area I can see him pulling 12 or more high profile recruits
from Georgia. They're in our back yard for crisakes, California ain't. California also doesn't have a
better talent base than Georgia. The QB position may be an exception to that rule, but Butch isn't
having any trouble landing QBs so who needs the West Coast? We sure dont.

Most on this board are not old enough to remember the rivalry between UT and Tech. Bobby Dodd, their equivalent to Robert Neyland, was a Vol and brought Tech to prominence. They were in the SEC or maybe the old Southern Conference before going to the ACC.

UT would run the old single wing against their split T, which was relatively new at the time. One of the classics in college football history was the game that was tied at zero in the fourth quarter when Big Doug Atkins caught a long pass for a TD to win 6-0.

I would love to see the rivalry renewed except for the funky offense you have to defend.

Reactions: 2 people

I agree. I would like to see us put UCLA on our schedule for a few years. It was pretty cool playing out west in the Rose Bowl.

I registered for the Georgia Tech Stingtalk message Board but they're so paranoid about UGAG trolls and flamers that you have to register and be approved to even look at the message board.

Stingtalk - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board
1. It's not Georgia tech. It's the North Avenue Trade School (NATS), Yech, or GIT.

2. Not only to the nerds not allow opposing fans to post, they even close the site to visitors when they play UGA, claiming server overload.

3. Please beat the hell out of them.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back