2001 UT vs UF

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5CiAJ3MaAU[/youtube]

It's been 10 years since we've last tasted victory in this series. There is no game I want to win each year more than UF.

This season we finally have a real talent advantage and are hungry. This has got to be the year the streak is snapped. My number one wish for this season is for us to go in a drain the swamp.

We take back our pride this season

GO VOLS

Reactions: 9 people
I know the game is still two plus months away but that loss last season is still leaving a sour taste in my mouth. We have got to beat the guys this season. 10 years is enough.

Reactions: 1 person
I am with you 110% OP. However, I swore after last year's debacle that I would never again in my life, under any circumstance, pick TN to beat Florida.

How does 34 respond to posts here? I guessed he was still running across the state of Florida. A nice zig zag pattern imo.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope we win.

We don't have a talent advantage against Fla. Sorry.

McDad might be right. Last time DAJ updated his team-by-team SEC talent comparisons, Florida and Georgia were ever-so-slightly ahead of the Vols, still. Gap had closed greatly, but Florida was still a bit higher.

Only unknown is attrition. If I remember right, DAJ's system doesn't take that into account. Since Florida lost more top-end players to the draft than us last year, and I think their attrition through the coaching change-out was higher than our attrition with mostly-steady coaching staff, we might have overtaken them in teamwide talent.

Would love for DAJ or anyone who does these kinds of comparisons to jump in with solid info.

McDad might be right. Last time DAJ updated his team-by-team SEC talent comparisons, Florida and Georgia were ever-so-slightly ahead of the Vols, still. Gap had closed greatly, but Florida was still a bit higher.

Only unknown is attrition. If I remember right, DAJ's system doesn't take that into account. Since Florida lost more top-end players to the draft than us last year, and I think their attrition through the coaching change-out was higher than our attrition with mostly-steady coaching staff, we might have overtaken them in teamwide talent.

Would love for DAJ or anyone who does these kinds of comparisons to jump in with solid info.

Your points are correct:
Attrition not factored.
UF still higher.
daj is the best at this.

From another thread:

With deference to daj (where has that nerd been lately?), keep in mind we are not the most talented team in the East. I hope we win it, too. After all, Butch is a + performer compared to his expectation of wins/losses based on his 4 year recruiting averages. The following chart is courtesy of SBNation.

National rank. Conference rank. School. Four-year. Movement vs. prev. avg.
1. SEC 1. Alabama. 1. =
2. Big Ten 1O. Ohio State. 4. ↓
3. ACC 1. Florida State. 5. ↑
4. SEC 2. LSU. 6.5. ↑
5. Pac-12 1. USC. 8.5. ↑
6. SEC 3. Georgia. 9.25. ↓
6. SEC 3. Florida. 9.25. ↓
8. SEC 5. Auburn. 9.75. ↑
9. SEC 6. Texas A&M. 10.5. ↑
10. Big 12 1. Texas. 11.75. ↓
10. Notre Dame. 11.75. ↓
12. Pac-12 2. UCLA. 12.5. ↑
13. SEC 7. Tennessee. 13.75. ↑
14. ACC 2. Clemson. 14. ↑
15. Big 12 2. Oklahoma. 14.25. ↓

Last edited:

I asked Yankee but will ask you also JP, wasn't his numbers including our latest class? Many of whom will not see the field?

It's true. They're still a little higher based on the 4 year recruiting averages. I was stunned, too, when I looked it up last week.

I don't care about the recruiting "average" is, I care about what I see on the field.

The only position I'd say they are without a doubt more talented is the secondary and even then it's not that big of a gap.

I don't care about the recruiting "average" is, I care about what I see on the field.

The only position I'd say they are without a doubt more talented is the secondary and even then it's not that big of a gap.

Oh. In that case carry on with your subjective assessments.

Reactions: 6 people
I asked Yankee but will ask you also JP, wasn't his numbers including our latest class? Many of whom will not see the field?

Yep, Charger, I'm pretty sure so. Because I remember DAJ updated it not too long after 2015 National Signing Day in January, or February, whenever it was. Specifically so he could pull in the 2015 signing classes of all the teams.

The numbers do include last year's class. Really is eye opening that we've has back to back top 5 classes and still sit outside the top ten.

The numbers do include last year's class. Really is eye opening that we've has back to back top 5 classes and still sit outside the top ten.

Yep. And when you subtract a large percentage of red shirting talent from the 2015 class, the picture becomes even more realistic.

Oh. In that case carry on with your subjective assessments.

Cam Sutton was a 3*

But yea, I'll continue to be subjective.

Talent on paper means jack squat when it comes to games.

Last edited:
Yep. And when you subtract a large percentage of red shirting talent from the 2015 class, the picture becomes even more realistic.

Daj's numbers never took those things into consideration. I dunno how much effect it has.

Cam Sutton was a 3*

But yea, I'll continue to be subjective.

Talent on paper means jack squat when it comes to games.

We on the same team even though you're a Yankee and I'm a southener.

Talent predicts wins about 70% of the time. Fyi.

We on the same team even though you're a Yankee and I'm a southener.

Talent predicts wins about 70% of the time. Fyi.

I was born in TN, but thats not the point.

On paper they may be more "talented" based on average recruiting class rankings, but watching both teams last year I find it hard to call them the more "talented" team.

Daj's numbers never took those things into consideration. I dunno how much effect it has.

I do believe you are correct with Daj, I was thinking more of the recent posts I have seen....

All the posts of teams with "unknowns" at qb, as a concrete advantage, give me concern also. Look at the recent Heisman winners. How many of the last 5 were unknown before they became very known. Chances are that it helps with them being unproven but it is not concrete.

Odds to win the SEC in 2015:

Tennessee: 8-1
Florida: 18-1

Using ESPN's FPI, UT has a 58.4% chance of winning the TENN-FL game.

To me, that would equal less "talent."

VN Store

Back