2 keys to vol success in 2015

TBtheGBwiththeTD

Baller By Nature
This year will hinge on two key issues:

If the Oline doesn't improve drastically this team will struggle to move the ball with consistency against any decent defense (Uga, Bama, UF, Mizzou, OU, Arky). They should be better based on the second half of the year being much better than the first, but they still were not better than 10th or so in the SEC. They essentially have the same starters with some added very young talent. Sure they are a year bigger stronger and more cohesive, but they are still limited in terms of starting talent.

That is a gigantic issue people choose to ignore when they predict 10+ win season...

On defense the middle of the defense has legitimate questions. The DT's are a good not great mix. Owen Williams is a solid player, O'Brien is SEC replacement level. The two freshman will either provide depth and make the DT's a solid group, or step up and change games and turn this group into a top 5 group in the SEC.

Behind the tackles at MLB is nothing but a big fat question mark. Kenny Bynum is uninspiring but let's call him consistent. Bryant Bates and Kirkland provide intrigue and depth, but nothing proven at all.

With the way teams in this conference are going to run the ball this season, we will need to be rock solid in the middle of our defense.

If the above two things aren't at least SEC average, we won't be as good as most want to think. Football is about blocking and tackling.

2 keys
-Score more than opponent.
-Hold opponent to fewer points than your own.

3rd key: don't rape nobody.

Reactions: 12 people
I still have a few conncerns about the O-line, although I think they'll be light years better than last year. I have zero concerns about DT or MLB. We have a stokpile of talent and somebody will step up and take those positions. We'll be fine.

Reactions: 4 people
The REAL 2 keys to the season:

1.) The Oline protecting Dobbs

2.) Dobbs being protected by the Oline

The End. :blink:

Why all the negativity towards O'Brien? He's more than solid, from what I've seen. He should be one of our most consistent players this season and a great mentor for KMac, Shy, and Picou.

Reactions: 2 people
Why all the negativity towards O'Brien? He's more than solid, from what I've seen. He should be one of our most consistent players this season and a great mentor for KMac, Shy, and Picou.

He and Williams are fine linemen, good talent, good experience/technique, but many consider them a little on the small side (they're both in the 285-295 range), too easy to get pushed around by 300+ pound OLinemen.

In the trenches, physics matters a lot. Mass matters. The 315 pound guard will win 9 times out of 10 against the 280 pound DT, everything else (experience, technique, quickness) being roughly equal.

That's the only reason for any negativity, afaik. But they are great young men who will contribute plenty in 2015. On top of which, yeah, you said it, they'll be valuable leaders for the younger members of the squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

agree, he held his own and played pretty well last yr. Adding Vickers, Tuttle and KM with DO and OW should give Tennessee a good rotation. I'll take good depth at DT over just about anywhere. gotta play 5 or 6 in there.

I think we have the players in place for the most part 2-deep. Now we just need to avoid the injury bug.:eek:hmy:

He and Williams are fine linemen, good talent, good experience/technique, but many consider them a little on the small side (they're both in the 285-295 range), too easy to get pushed around by 300+ pound OLinemen.

In the trenches, physics matters a lot. Mass matters. The 315 pound guard will win 9 times out of 10 against the 280 pound DT, everything else (experience, technique, quickness) being roughly equal.

That's the only reason for any negativity, afaik. But they are great young men who will contribute plenty in 2015. On top of which, yeah, you said it, they'll be valuable leaders for the younger members of the squad.

Cannot fully agree here. Usually most DLs are "undersized" compared to their OL competition in average weight. Plenty of outstanding DL have been 10-40# lighter than the OL that they regularly face. Our last top shelf DT (Malik Jax) is a perfect example.

That being said, when it comes to players of "equal" talent/skill, I'll certainly take choose bigger and heavier at that position.

agree, he held his own and played pretty well last yr. Adding Vickers, Tuttle and KM with DO and OW should give Tennessee a good rotation. I'll take good depth at DT over just about anywhere. gotta play 5 or 6 in there.

Is it too much to ask to have a healthy Saulsberry for the rotation? :cray:

VN Store

Back