Butch's biggest mistake

chattavol420

Tennessee's expectations heightened with Josh Dobbs at quarterback

This article discusses why Dobbs didn't start until week 8. I love the line...it shouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to figure out he was the best option. And Dobbs flat out denies that he wasn't a good practice player...he even seems very annoyed by it say I have no idea where that ''noise'' comes from. Don't worry Josh. That's just your coach justifying a very Dooley like decision to run a spread offense with Justin Worley while you sat on the bench.
Anyway, it's Josh's team now. Hope he makes everyone regret not playing him sooner last year

Reactions: 5 people

This article discusses why Dobbs didn't start until week 8. I love the line...it shouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to figure out he was the best option. And Dobbs flat out denies that he wasn't a good practice player...he even seems very annoyed by it say I have no idea where that ''noise'' comes from. Don't worry Josh. That's just your coach justifying a very Dooley like decision to run a spread offense with Justin Worley while you sat on the bench.
Anyway, it's Josh's team now. Hope he makes everyone regret not playing him sooner last year

I heard that Dobbs had asked for a red shirt year to get an extra year of college paid for by the university and CBJ was trying to honor that until the wheels fell off last year. But who knows, I may be just repeating rumors I heard last year. :dunno:

Reactions: 22 people
I respect the decision. I think Butch knew what he had with Dobbs. He knew the O Line was young but didn't fully expect how bad they would be. If Worley/Peterman had been able to stay healthy and get us to a bowl with all those freshmen surrounding them, he would have had Dobbs for 3 more years! After Worley bird went out for the season he knew we wouldn't be bowling and had to put Dobbs in. A lot of people think he should have put Dobbs in against UF but Worley could have beat UF. Bajakian lost that game.

Reactions: 25 people
Dobbs in the article talks more about his work ethic during practices. His work ethic was never in question.

Jones put a bigger, more experienced QB behind a young, questionable OL. Unless Dobbs was well outshining Worely (which is not the case according to every insider covering fall practices last year), the I trust that the staff made the right decision.

Reactions: 19 people

Dobbs wasn't sat out because he wasn't the better player. He was benched because we wanted an extra full year out of him and were trying to get him redshirted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
i respect the decision. I think butch knew what he had with dobbs. He knew the o line was young but didn't fully expect how bad they would be. If worley/peterman had been able to stay healthy and get us to a bowl with all those freshmen surrounding them, he would have had dobbs for 3 more years! After worley bird went out for the season he knew we wouldn't be bowling and had to put dobbs in. A lot of people think he should have put dobbs in against uf but worley could have beat uf. Bajakian lost that game.

+1 +1 +1

This article is by the classless jerk who asked Josh on Tuesday, "Do you think you were a lousy practice player?" (note how he tries to tone down his own bad grace in the article by changing 'lousy' to 'bad').

He'd already written the article and was just trying to tease something quotable out of Josh to cap it off.

David Climer gets no respect from me.

Reactions: 19 people
i'm not gonna lie, i thought the same thing once Dobbs got in against Bama...."where was this all season?"

but as i thought about it, i don't think it was any secret CBJ has serious reservations about his O line, no real depth at RB with Lane and a true Freshmen in Hurd, and some good, but still unproven talent at WR and TE. i think he was honestly just trying to get thru 2014 with Dobbs on the shelf so he'd have 3 years of Dobbs left starting this year, when the talent and depth got a little better. remember, as last season started, we didn't have Jones, Dormandy, Jennings and JG in the fold. the qb position was a ?. i think he was hedging in case he needed 2+ years from Dobbs.

CBJ wasn't in a "win now" mode. the goal was get to 6-6 and go to a bowl. and i think he believed he could manage that with Worley and Peterman.

and i think the characterization of CBJ calling Dobbs a "bad practice player" is a bit over blown. i never heard him say that on any of the interviews i saw/heard. i heard him say "he wasn't ready". which is coach speak that could be interpreted any way you want, including "he was a bad practice player".

also, let's not get revisionist history. Dobbs definitely injected confidence and results in the offense last season. but he wasn't the MOST accurate guy i've ever seen. you can go back and reread a ton on how people here and analysts said "if he can develop his passing accuracy, make the routine throws" etc...he can be a very good qb. and so far, that looks like what is happening.

and look, i think it's all worked out, i don't see anything productive in trying to stir this up, except for the reporter trying to generate buzz on the comment, which it will or in this case, has.

Reactions: 17 people
...i think he was honestly just trying to get thru 2014 with Dobbs on the shelf so he'd have 3 years of Dobbs left starting this year, when the talent and depth got a little better....CBJ wasn't in a "win now" mode. the goal was get to 6-6 and go to a bowl. and i think he believed he could manage that with Worley and Peterman.....

This, exactly. Jake, I believe precisely the same thing. It just makes sense.

Reactions: 1 person
This article is by the classless jerk who asked Josh on Tuesday, "Do you think you were a lousy practice player?" (note how he tries to tone down his own bad grace in the article by changing 'lousy' to 'bad').

He'd already written the article and was just trying to tease something quotable out of Josh to cap it off.

David Climer gets no respect from me.

I seen that too. Kudos to Josh for keeping cool and not really missing a beat, I would've devoted the rest of my time to putting him down at every turn and never gave climer any peace, that or knock some sense into him.

This, exactly. Jake, I believe precisely the same thing. It just makes sense.

i never get accused of this by my wife. not sure how i should react!

also, now that we know the future of the qb position, i think "mistake" is hardly the term.

in fact, if you want to take it one step further, and there's no way anyone could have known this would be a by product of all this, you could argue that the change in the middle of the season, it sparked TN, gave us the huge comeback against USCe, the big bowl win etc...and in large part is the reason all this hype is being swirled around TN, helped recruiting last year etc.....

say we did start Dobbs all year. and he had the ebbs and flows of a season with that bad offensive line, and we finish 6-6, and win the weedeater bowl or something....who would care?

:eek:lol:sometimes things just work out..........

Reactions: 2 people
Dobbs in the article talks more about his work ethic during practices. His work ethic was never in question.

Jones put a bigger, more experienced QB behind a young, questionable OL. Unless Dobbs was well outshining Worely (which is not the case according to every insider covering fall practices last year), the I trust that the staff made the right decision.

It's better to question the staff and EVERY decision that they make. That is the VN way...

Reactions: 1 person
...Dobbs flat out denies that he wasn't a good practice player...he even seems very annoyed by it say I have no idea where that ''noise'' comes from....

No, Chatta, this fits your agenda, but Josh wasn't annoyed at all when he responded to Climer on Tuesday. The video of the Q&A session is available on these forums, take a look at it. Josh did not seem perturbed at all...though, if he had been, it would probably have been at Climer's "lousy" wording of the question rather than the imsinuations Climer was trying to make about the coaching staff.

Reactions: 7 people

Do you ever have an original thought? Every time I see your handle, I know I'm going to get a post whining about what you think Butch Jones needs to do better. You should probably either find some new material or just don't bother.

Reactions: 9 people
It's better to question the staff and EVERY decision that they make. That is the VN way...

Please don't lump the 99.9% in with the whiners like the OP. Every thread he makes is critical of the coaching staff. The guy even cries when the team wins. I don't see how people that are so negative can get through their day to day lives.

Reactions: 4 people
This is 2015. The football season is finally around the corner, 99% of the media AND posters are excited and focused on the very near future. Seriously, WTH?

Moronic post based on an article founded on a false premise. I've questioned and criticized Jones for some things but his plan to RS Dobbs was VERY intelligent and showed vision beyond a few games where it made have made a difference. It NEVER had anything to do with Dobbs' skills or work ethic AFTER Worley won the competition. If Dobbs had won the job outright, he would have started outright. He wasn't ready but by every tangible indication was ALWAYS ahead of Peterman.

Give Dobbs all the credit in the world for playing well. OTOH, a healthy Worley beats Vandy, USCe, UK, and Iowa. Because he was more of a down field threat at that point than Dobbs, he would have at a minimum presented a different set of problems for Mizzou. The lighter SEC opponents for UT are always after Bama.

Several of us argued that Dobbs was always the 2nd best option last fall but was set for a RS if Worley could make it through the season. Why? Well for one, Worley had more experience and was by far the best passer of the group. Jones had no way of knowing that his OL would play that bad or that they would lose Gilliam who had been working at LT all spring, summer, and fall. Two, it just flat out made a ton of sense to save a year of eligibility for Dobbs. Three, his passing DID need time to develop. MU successfully defended him by taking the short stuff away. I suspect he will be a much better down field passer this fall.

Reactions: 12 people

VN Store

Back