Mckenzie, Tuttle, and Vickers may be....

1standgoal

Mckenzie, Tuttle, and Vickers may be the help the defense has been lacking. Not only taking on double team blocks, penetrating the line, disrupting plays in the backfield, and providing the upfront pressure to collapse the pocket on passing plays, Tennessee's defense will finally be complete.

Reactions: 5 people
Mckenzie, Tuttle, and Vickers may be the help the defense has been lacking. Not only taking on double team blocks, penetrating the line, disrupting plays in the backfield, and providing the upfront pressure to collapse the pocket on passing plays, Tennessee's defense will finally be complete.

Glad you started this thread, I haven't thought about Vickers since spring but he'll provide some depth for us.

There is a good joke in there but i would probably get an infraction so i'm not going to post it. :)

Reactions: 5 people
It is still a concern when you rely on true freshmen to perform a critical role for your team. However, if any 2 true freshmen are up for the challenge of playing DT in the SEC they have to be KMac and Tuttle

Reactions: 3 people
I didn't think we were relying on freshman like in the past. we just have depth and a lot better talent and our best two DT's just happen to be freshman.

Reactions: 3 people
I didn't think we were relying on freshman like in the past. we just have depth and a lot better talent and our best two DT's just happen to be freshman.

I think that while we're very talented and very deep at DE, we're still not where we need to ideally be at DT. I firmly believe we'll be better at DT. However, after OBrien and O. Williams, we're relying on a RS Sophomore who's new to the position and 2 (although very talented) true freshmen. Still not ideal and we're clearly in trouble if we suffer an injury or two.

Reactions: 1 person
Is he the one that was Tebow's "freak of the week" last year? And who is it that Butch said went from 230 to 280?

Freak yes, but he was already 280ish when he arrived. He may have grown that much in Juco
cause he's a manster in the weight room.

Last year our DT rotation was basically just 3 guys and that really wore them down.

This year we add depth but really strong, talented depth to the DT rotation and even though they'll be young and inexperienced they will be good at doing certain things.

Our D line coach and D coordinator will know exactly what they do really well so when they come in to give our other guys a breather the DC will call D plays that accent what those true freshmen do really well to put them in the best positions to make good plays and build their confidence.

They'll keep learning all season and by the end of the season they'll either already be starters or will damn sure be ready to start next season with no problems at all.

Only counting our much improved D line and nothing else will add at least 2 more Wins to what we did last year.

I don't think many people have any idea at all how good our entire D line rotation will be by midseason and beyond.

Our Big Orange Bone Crunchers will be on the prowl!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 4 people
I believe that the freshman are talented enough and strong enough to give us at least 30 or so snaps a game. McKenzie is as strong as an NFL defensive tackle right now. That will be huge for the defense. No more giving up a big run in the 4th quarter because the veterans have been on the field too much.

This may have been answered, but where does Saulsberry fit into the rotation, or does he? Having 6 DTs available in the rotation would be good for resting players

well with games against the RB's and Olines of GA, Bama, OU, ARK etc....it's imperative that the DL be able to handle things up front. they'll get tested plenty this year. but i do think that this group can be really really good. and if they are, that will help our "unproven" LB play immensely. as excited as people get about the offensive skill players, i think our D may be the star of the season for us when all is said and done.

Reactions: 2 people
With the added depth on the DL, if the OL improves to the point of being competent and steady, it will certainly be two more wins. We will be in games this year that we didn't have a chance of competing in last year, like Alabama, Ole Miss, etc. And of course, we won't be in the hole from the QB play we had early in the season. Worley was good for at least two interceptions and two fumbles every game! Not so this year! You look at those early games. If Worley just does not turn the ball over we are in two to three more games!

Then throw in magitt, Phillips, vareen, and the juco dt (can't remember his name) that had some great plays last year and we are as stacked in dline as I can remember!!!!

With the added depth on the DL, if the OL improves to the point of being competent and steady, it will certainly be two more wins. We will be in games this year that we didn't have a chance of competing in last year, like Alabama, Ole Miss, etc. And of course, we won't be in the hole from the QB play we had early in the season. Worley was good for at least two interceptions and two fumbles every game! Not so this year! You look at those early games. If Worley just does not turn the ball over we are in two to three more games!

yeah, the big play really hurt us last year. GA, OU, Bama, Ole Miss....Mizzou....all fed off huge defensive plays against us. i think this is something that's important. not to say that history will repeat itself and we'll be in close games like that again. but it does beg the question....if we don't have the huge turn around plays go against us like they did in GA and OU in particular, how would that affect what happens late or in the 4th quarter......

Ole Miss and Mizzou absolutely abused our O line and QB. and so did GA. that continued abuse led to those big plays later in the games.

it'll be interesting to see if we can keep those to a minimum and play the whole game competitively, instead of a half or 3 quarters.

then it's about finishing. that's a good place to be i think.

Reactions: 1 person
This may have been answered, but where does Saulsberry fit into the rotation, or does he? Having 6 DTs available in the rotation would be good for resting players

If he's healthy enough he gets snaps. You going to hold your breath?

VN Store

Back