3 Beautiful Words For Vol Fans To Soon Hear

Volngeorgia

We've heard it alluded to many times.
But when will the phrase "Tennessee is back" become a reality?
What does it mean?
A win over Florida?
An 8-4 regular season?
An SEC East title?

I think it means something different for all Vol fans.
What's your definition?

What does it mean?
A win over Florida?
An 8-4 regular season?
An SEC East title?

What's your definition?
When we hear these 5 words at least 5 times per game, "Give him six. TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!!!!":)

Reactions: 1 person
First definition: go bowling, win bowls. Already Back
Second definition: all other SEC teams take you seriously. Already Back
Third definition: winning record in the SEC. Countdown has Begun
Fourth definition: win the East. Countdown has Begun
Fifth definition: win the SEC. The Day is Coming
Ultimate definition: serious contender for national championships: Time will Tell

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
to me it's still more of a process, than a singular event.

Beating UF this year isn't necessarily an accomplishment given their current state of affairs. but no one could argue that from a mental standpoint, at least for the fans, that'd be a huge hurdle. but would we be "back" w/that win? probably not, not this year.

but beat UF...then say you beat UGA....all the sudden you're in the driver seat for the East. w/games against Bama, USCe and Mizzou left, now you have a slate of games that matter....past the end of september.

i think you have to get to the end of the season and see where they stand. but it's going to take beating a couple of teams this year that have owned us in recent history to erase that recent history and change overall perception. Beating UF and USCe this year, probably won't do it, if that means we lost to Bama, UGA, MO, ARK and/or OU and finish 8-4/7-5. if that happens, i think most will just consider us still a work in progress, with an upward trajectory. but not "back".

finish 9-3, losing to OU and Bama and say ARK or MO....contend for the East late in the season, go to another good bowl.......expectations for '16 will be thru the roof, rightfully so.

Reactions: 2 people
When 12-0 is legitimately expected...

And 12-0 is legitimately achieved...

22fb108f18a3322aee188c9504cc611a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
What does it mean?
A win over Florida?
An 8-4 regular season?
An SEC East title?

What's your definition?

My definition of being "back" - When we say "We are back" at the END of the season, rather than the beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I think whoever calls the OU-UT game this year (probably Herbstreit and Fowler) will say "Tennessee is back" or something along those lines if A) We're ranked at the time and B) We roll over the Sooners.

We should be beating 1 to 3 of UGA, FL, and UA every year while competing for the East.

Last edited:
To me it simply means being competitive in EVERY game we play.

And I think that is a reality now.

Well, I agree with this to some degree as nobody likes being blown out but, ALL coaches have to put up "W"s. Losing 7 or 8 games but trying hard will get you a pink slip in any sport/league.

That's not "back" by Tennessee standards though. Our tradition is based around winning, not being competitive in tough games.

I meant that TN should be able to win every game they play.

And per OP, this was what it means to each of us. There is no right or wrong answer.

Impatiently waiting in the shadows to say we are back, so difficult to watch the my favorite team take so much criticism. Last year we had great reasons to hope but i want to spank GA and the Gayterdz!

knowing we don't have to play a perfect game and need mistakes by Bama to put the beat down on them. Beating good teams because we are better. Being disappointed in not making the playoffs, not happy to be bowl eligible. Getting top recruits because of our winning tradition. Everybody circles the date they play the VOLS because it means something to play us close. If you wait to start pulling for the VOLS in 2016, you will be jumping on the band wagon. GO VOLS!

Winning the East. When the goal of your program is to win championships, you have to return to winning them before you can say you're back. Winning the East puts us back to where Fulmer left us in 2007 (before the start of The Great Decline).

VN Store

Back