The 2013 Vandy game, and where we are now.

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
For those of you who were foolish enough to try to stomach it, they showed a replay yesterday of 2013 UT/Vandy during Vandy's "takeover." I had zero interest in reliving the worst, and coldest, 3.5 hours of my life, but I DVR'd it because I wanted one last look at our old gray unis.

Like with every other UT game, I started watching the game, and I got hooked. I'm not saying I recommend watching it, but I'm also not saying it wasn't beneficial for me as a fan to see our evolution from then until now. I was able to make some very easy to see observations.

-This was an awfully sloppy game for both teams. Turnover after turnover, bad call after bad call, busted play after busted play, calls overturned on the field like crazy.

-This isn't going to come as a shocker to anyone, but the 2013 UT squad was just a bad football team by this point. I mean just bad all around. Bad coaching, bad execution, and didn't seem to play with a ton of heart. Especially not in this game. I think the weight of a tough season was just coming down hard, especially on the seniors. Honestly, it's cruel to say, but this team still had the stink of Dooley all over it.

-Dobbs was not a good QB as a freshman. I was a notorious anti-Dobbs poster back then. Obviously sometimes now I regret it, but this game perfectly justifies it. He was terrible.

But none of that negative nonsense matters, here's what I saw that is more important:

-Bajakian needed to go. He was a serious weak link, and losing him is addition by subtraction, and we're going to be a better team for it. The offensive play calling this game was unwatchable. Pig was vastly under-used, we ran virtually no designed QB runs, and the game was chock full of the Mike Bajakian special..... throw the WR screen 50 times. If it doesn't work, throw it 50 more times.

-Dobbs didn't turn his career at UT around in the '14 Bama game, Dobbs turned his career around in the '14 Spring Game. Obviously he was determined to improve, and by spring he went from the player in this 2013 Vandy game, to being a world-beater, and he's been a baller ever since.

-Hurd is a game-changer. Seeing a UT game where he was not on the roster shows how desperately we needed a player like him.

-This Vanderbilt team should be proud of their 2013 season. Jimmy Frank was a good coach, and they accomplished a lot...... that being said.... a healthy 2014 UT team would have ripped either team in this game to shreds.

-We are just dramatically sharper now as a team. Watching this game, as opposed to watching the later 2014 games, it's quite obvious how much more crisp, and disciplined, and how much stronger and faster we are now.

I seriously can't imagine what the next 2 years are going to hold. It's cliche, and cheesy, but I truly do believe a storm is coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I wouldn't proclaim Dobbs a world beater when the only teams he has beat have been a bad USC jr team, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Iowa. Improved yes, cautiously optimistic yes, world beater no.

Reactions: 3 people
Having been at both the 2005 & 2013 losses to "vandie" (as well as many more wins against them), it is fitting that the Vols are heading upwards while the commode- doors plummet back to reality. :whistling:

When we took over the SEC NETWORK our replay was the 1998 National Championship, while theirs was the 2013 win versus us.:eek:lol:

Reactions: 5 people
And they had to have help from the refs to win that. I'm surprised Vandy could come up with 24 hours worth of wins

Reactions: 2 people
Would love to see the TV ratings for Vandy's takeover vs. the Vols' takeover.

When we took over the SEC NETWORK our replay was the 1998 National Championship, while theirs was the 2013 win versus us.:eek:lol:

Our game was 17 years ago while there's was 2. Wish we had a win over a major rival within the past 2 years. Beating up on Vandy doesn't make us a good team, wish some people around here realized that

I'll give the 2013 team some props for the running game and o-line. Neal ran pretty good, and he had some good lanes to run in. I think our line made him look much better than he actually was. Hurd would have thrived with that line.

I wouldn't proclaim Dobbs a world beater when the only teams he has beat have been a bad USC jr team, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Iowa. Improved yes, cautiously optimistic yes, world beater no.

We slipped by Vandy 24 to 17,last year. Dobbs was 11-20 for 92 yards, with 2 interceptions and zero TD's. Hurd had 5 carries for 21 Yds.
That's the bad but still a W.
The good is this banged up team Hurd playing limited , The QB of line Crowder out for 2nd game and our leading tackler AJ out for 2nd game. With all the injuries and a half suspension for one of our best DB's we kept the Missouri game close. and eked a W against Vandy.
Then a month to heal from long season and even without AJ beat a good Iowa soundly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Fing hilarious! They had their moment of glory. Let's not ruin it. Seriously though, the 13*vandy game was one of the times butch just didn't look good out there. Very poor decision making and game planning. Franklin was just a significantly better coach at that point.

We slipped by Vandy 24 to 17,last year. Dobbs was 11-20 for 92 yards, with 2 interceptions and zero TD's. Hurd had 5 carries for 21 Yds.
The good is this banged up team Hurd playing limited , The QB of line Crowder out for 2nd game and our leading tackler AJ out for 2nd game. With all the injuries and a half suspension for one of our best DB's we kept the Missouri game close. and eked a W against Vandy.
Then a month to heal from long season and even without AJ beat a good Iowa soundly.

This is precisely the reason many have tempered expectations for Team 119.

I caught most all of the Tennessee takeover, and watched a little of most of the others. Managed to not have the TV on for Vandy day.

Our game was 17 years ago while there's was 2. Wish we had a win over a major rival within the past 2 years. Beating up on Vandy doesn't make us a good team, wish some people around here realized that

Whatever Francis.:the_finger:

Reactions: 3 people

I agree it was a bit alarming, but if you look at the big picture it really isn't something to be overly concerned with. For one, Vandy played the best game of their season against us. They actually had a couple of games last year where they put up a decent fight against a good team. We beat them by 7, Mizzou beat them by 10, and Mizzou was at home.

Plus we were horribly depleted. If Hurd stays in that game we beat them by at least 14.

Reactions: 1 person
I watched this game too sadly. I wanted to see that awful call where the refs overturned our fourth down stop. First it was a terrible spot by the linesman, but the replay showed no indisputable video evidence. You couldn't see the ball yet they gave them the first down anyway. I've never been so mad watching a game in my life. Anyway I noticed the same thing with bajakian. I've never seen an OC call such horrible, idiotic plays in the red zone. It didn't just happen in this game either. His awful play calling lost us the Florida game this past year as well.

Sometimes you have to reach the depth a hell in order to climb to heaven. IMHO, I think Tennessee got full of itself around 2005, it started a domino effect of hiring mistakes and recruiting blunders.

My hope is that all UT Fans remember those years and appreciate the things to come and don't get all caught in the fact that UT might not be in the play offs every year and enjoy each game and try not to get on the ledge because of one/two bad games. I know I took all of it for granted and I promised myself to keep this in a healthy perspective……..these are 18-22 year old men sacrificing their bodies every week, I love UT, but I was not proud how I acted in my younger years.

Go Vols!!

A national championship 17 years ago is more important than a win against us while we had maybe our worst team ever on the field. Wish you realized that.

Reactions: 5 people
are takeover was just awful, besides the 98 game. Our basketball games were awful. No bruce pearl games where shown, not even the lofton shot over durant was disappointed with it for the most part

I watched this game too sadly. I wanted to see that awful call where the refs overturned our fourth down stop. First it was a terrible spot by the linesman, but the replay showed no indisputable video evidence. You couldn't see the ball yet they gave them the first down anyway. I've never been so mad watching a game in my life. Anyway I noticed the same thing with bajakian. I've never seen an OC call such horrible, idiotic plays in the red zone. It didn't just happen in this game either. His awful play calling lost us the Florida game this past year as well.

I understand, but you obviously didn't watch many games when the VOL OC was Randy Sanders. :sad:

I don't know that "many" have tempered expectations. Looking at this board, IMO it seems like only a few. For every post that is cautiously optimistic, I see three posts talking 9-10 wins and competing for the SEC East.

I think where we are depth-wise and coming off of a 6-6 regular season in 2014, a record of 8-4 with a win over UF or UGA and a bowl win would be tremendous progress and set us up nicely for the 2016 season. It's JMO, but I think all the talk about 9-10 wins this year is a bit premature

Still say that replay ref screwed UT on Robbinettes 4 down -- no possible way the evidence was conclusive enough to overturn on the replay

Iowa was horrible but whats your point exactly?

VN Store

Back