Confidence in CBJ and His Staff on The Field

Rate your confidence level in CBJ & Staff on the field for 60 minutes each Saturday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
It should go without saying that Butch Jones has exceeded most of our expectations from the day we heard he was our new head coach. He's on the edge of turning around our beloved program for the long term - and all but the Negavols seem to be happy.

The question though is how confident are you in CBJ and his staff in leading the team for 60 minutes on the field this Fall?

It should go without saying that Butch Jones has exceeded most of our expectations from the day we heard he was our new head coach. He's on the edge of turning around our beloved program for the long term - and all but the Negavols seem to be happy.

The question though is how confident are you in CBJ and his staff in leading the team for 60 minutes on the field this Fall?

There no question butch is a world class recruiter and ambassador for our program but he's not proven to be very good thus far on gameday.and though there are a variety of things he could do better out there...it all starts with having courage. He just tries to play it so incredibly safe that he becomes very predictable.
I've been saying it a people call me a negavol but it's all true. The one argument you hear a lot is that he had to play it safe because the roster was so limited, it was our best chance. But that's not the case anymore. The season will go a long way in determining what we have.

Reactions: 16 people
From what we've seen, i have total confidence in Coach Jones. But in a late game situation, i have all the confidence in Josh Dobbs. Calm and collected wins big ball games. He's the x factor.

Reactions: 2 people

Not very.

Reactions: 8 people
Not very.

You do not know football. You name me one coach in football in college or NFL that could of took what Dooley left and win with them. Just look at the NFL draft the last couple years. Not many Vols were drafted. That is going to change with Butch in charge. We will take over the SEC before too much longer. And if we take over the SEC that means we are playing for National Championships.

Reactions: 11 people
You do not know football. You name me one coach in football in college or NFL that could of took what Dooley left and win with them. Just look at the NFL draft the last couple years. Not many Vols were drafted. That is going to change with Butch in charge. We will take over the SEC before too much longer. And if we take over the SEC that means we are playing for National Championships.

I'm not basing that off wins.

I expect Butch will find success soon he is accumulating too much talent not to.

But I've been unimpressed by on-field decisions, which is what the question was about. Need I remind you of the late timeout against UF that actually prevented us even getting a chance at a punt return?

Also his loyalty to questionable coaches like Mahoney has me concerned. Hopefully DeBo can mentor Mahoney.

Reactions: 8 people
He has more than proven himself as a recruiter. He's a great spokesman for the program. The jury is still out on him as a gameday coach. He did beat the #4 team in the country his first season with an undermanned roster, and he brought the team back from a 2 TD deficit last year vs SCjr. OTOH there's that Florida game.

Reactions: 4 people
The jury is still out on Jones game day coaching ability, but the jury will reach a decision after the Oklahoma game.

Reactions: 4 people

Game management is CBJ weakness

Reactions: 5 people
The jury is still out on Jones game day coaching ability, but the jury will reach a decision after the Oklahoma game.

I have hope that DeBord will help him with this.

But, that's probably overly optimistic. DeBord was an atrocious head coach at Central Michigan. People around here still laugh about him...through painful tears...but it was too ridiculous not to laugh.

He has more than proven himself as a recruiter. He's a great spokesman for the program. The jury is still out on him as a gameday coach. He did beat the #4 team in the country his first season with an undermanned roster, and he brought the team back from a 2 TD deficit last year vs SCjr. OTOH there's that Florida game.

And therefore the poll. Thought that this is as important as any discuss VN can have right now. CBJ seems to have taken care of the rest of the pieces of the puzzle (ie recruiting, team building, reducing off field player incidents, restoring pride, new uni's, etc.), but with a new O coach and some lingering doubt from his previous on field performances, this Q is the Elephant in the Corner for the Vols 2015 Season IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not basing that off wins.

I expect Butch will find success soon he is accumulating too much talent not to.

But I've been unimpressed by on-field decisions, which is what the question was about. Need I remind you of the late timeout against UF that actually prevented us even getting a chance at a punt return?

Also his loyalty to questionable coaches like Mahoney has me concerned. Hopefully DeBo can mentor Mahoney.

Yeah, his loyalty to coaches is a big problem. If only he had the courage to get rid of coaches that he saw weren't performing up to the expectation.

The staff doesn't play the game:

On offense you have to have 11 guys doing their job for a play to work, that's why college games can be won by anyone if you don't bring your "A" game.

Defense all 11 players need to make the tackle in their area they are covering, you hear coaches talk about fits or miss fitting the play. We team speed 1-2 miss tackles and its a quick 6

And therefore the poll. Thought that this is as important as any discuss VN can have right now. CBJ seems to have taken care of the rest of the pieces of the puzzle (ie recruiting, team building, reducing off field player incidents, restoring pride, new uni's, etc.), but with a new O coach and some lingering doubt from his previous on field performances, this Q is the Elephant in the Corner for the Vols 2015 Season IMO.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the question. I'll know more after the month of September. If we go in to October at 4-0 I'll feel better. I'll say this though. I never thought Fulmer was a very good gameday coach, yet he managed to win a NC.

You do not know football. You name me one coach in football in college or NFL that could of took what Dooley left and win with them.

James Franklin for one. Butch started thirteen 4 star recruits against Vanderbilt in 2013. Franklin started one 4 star recruit.

Reactions: 5 people
Ever think the team and coaches at hand may have dictated how decisions was made during the game? We do not know what went on during those games behind the scenes that caused the decisions to be made, we can only speculate.

Jones parted ways with long time OC CMB.. So imo the loyalty thing doesn't hold water.

Mahoney had a mash unit to work with, players playing out of normal positions just to field a Oline. Blame Dooley for this.

I personally do not care what DeBord did as a HC. I only care what he did as a OC, which he was successful at.

So to answer your question, I have confidence in this year's coaching by Jones and his staff.. Jones has finally got a few tools in place to hopefully do the things he came here to do.

Some forget that most believe that 2016 is the year of Jones.. That is how low we went as a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I think I'm in the minority in finding reassurance in Butch's performance as a gameday coach at CMU and Cincy. He wasn't hesitant then, didn't play it safe, and--once he had his system fully in place, by the 2nd or 3rd year--was really making a difference in his command of the games.

Some folks in VN whose opinions I respect respond that he wasn't facing top tier opposing coaches. But he was facing--and beating--some pretty good ones. In his six years at CMU and Cincy, with roughly equal, or in some cases less, talent, he beat: Frank Solich, Mark D'Antonio, Charlie Strong, Tom O'Brien, Frank Beamer, Skip Holtz, Greg Schiano, Paul Pasqualoni, David Cutcliffe, and James Franklin. Some of them more than once. And just as Butch moved up from the Group of 5 into the Power 5, so did some of these guys. Some (like Beamer, Franklin, and Cutcliffe) Butch beat while they were already leading Power 5 teams.

Oh, and let's don't forget: he has beaten the Old Ball Coach. Twice. Once with less talent at his disposal.

Bottom line: Butch may not yet have impressed with his X&O genius at Tennessee, perhaps because he didn't feel confident in his Jimmys & Joes yet, perhaps for some other reason. But he has certainly proven in the past that, once he has his system in place and the right talent to execute it, he can be pretty bold and wily.

We're just waiting to see it unfold with the Vols. I think we start seeing it in spades this year. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
youtube link

As Fulmer is famous for saying, it's the Jimmys and the Joes. Some talent differentials are just too steep to overcome. Tennessee-Cincy was not an Xs and Os game, it was a Jimmys and Joes game.

People need to be more intellectually honest and stop bringing this up as proof of anything other than that Tennessee--even in its worst years--has a LOT more access to talented players than a team like Cincy.

Reactions: 9 people
As Fulmer is famous for saying, it's the Jimmys and the Joes. Some talent differentials are just too steep to overcome. Tennessee-Cincy was not an Xs and Os game, it was a Jimmys and Joes game.

People need to be more intellectually honest and stop bringing this up as proof of anything other than that Tennessee--even in its worst years--has a LOT more access to talented players than a team like Cincy.

This all day.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back