The best method to estimate our total wins this year

AboveAllNations

Most of us on Volnation are optimistic about our chances to win the SEC East this year, but there's still a vocal minority who think we should be "content" to win 8 games. Other posters think we'll lose to a terrible Florida team this year because of games that happened years ago with totally different players and different coaching staffs.

However, if you put aside irrational superstitions about losing streaks, ignore obvious recruiting propaganda from Butch Jones about our alleged "lack of depth," and realize that our perceived shortcomings (backup QB, offensive tackle, and #2 LB) pale in comparison to those of our SEC East rivals, it becomes clear that we should be considered the SEC East favorites this season. We've got the most returning starters, the best QB, the best D-line, the best secondary, and we host the other team with the best odds to win the division (Georgia).

So how many games should we realistically expect to win this season? The most accurate way to get an estimate would be to look at our schedule and add up the probabilities that we win each game. Josh Dobbs is really the only truly irreplaceable player on our team this year, so as long as he stays healthy (and there's absolutely no indication that he won't), I'm confident in these game-by-game odds:

v. Bowling Green (95% win)
v. Oklahoma (55% win)
v. Western Caroline (100% win)
@ Florida (66% win)
v. Arkansas (75% win)
v. Georgia (55% win)
(bye)
@ Alabama (20% win)
@ Kentucky (90% win)
v. South Carolina (80% win)
v. North Texas (100% win)
@ Missouri (66% win)
v. Vanderbilt (100% win)

Multiply each game by the win probability percentage:

v. Bowling Green (.95)
v. Oklahoma (.55)
v. Western Caroline (1.0)
@ Florida (.66)
v. Arkansas (.75)
v. Georgia (.55)
(bye)
@ Alabama (.20)
@ Kentucky (.90)
v. South Carolina (.80)
v. North Texas (1.0)
@ Missouri (.66)
v. Vanderbilt (1.0)

Then add up the numbers to get the number of expected wins:

.95 + .55 + 1.0 + .66 + .75 + .55 + .20 + .9 + .8 + 1.0 + .66 + 1.0 = 9.02 wins

So even though we're arguably favored in 11 of our 12 games, we should reasonably expect to win about 9 games this year. If you agree with the odds I've estimated for each game, 8-4 would be a disappointment. By contrast, here's my expected win total for Georgia:

v. U. La-Monroe (100% = 1.0)
@ Vanderbilt (100% = 1.0)
v. South Carolina (80% = .80)
v. Southern Jaguars (100% = 1.0)
v. Alabama (33% = .33)
@ Tennessee (45% = .45)
v. Missouri (75% = .75)
- bye -
@ Florida (75% = .75)
v. Kentucky (90% = .9)
@ Auburn (20% = .20)
v. Ga. Southern (100% = 1.0)
@ Ga. Tech (50% = .50)

Adding up their win probabilities for each game, Georgia's expected win total is only 8.68.

If we're likely to win the same number of games, and likely to actually beat Georgia head-to-head, why shouldn't we be favorites to win the division? I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: 11 people
Are the percentages from a source?
Or are they from you?
Not being a jackass, honestly curious.

Reactions: 6 people
mth.gif

Reactions: 15 people
Are the percentages from a source?
Or are they from you?
Not being a jackass, honestly curious.

Just a guess, but most likely from him, there is no such thing as a 100% win and we have 3 of them. 😛
Arkansas at 75% may be a little high, they might be the best team Tennessee plays all season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Most of us on Volnation are optimistic about our chances to win the SEC East this year, but there's still a vocal minority who think we should be "content" to win 8 games. Other posters think we'll lose to a terrible Florida team this year because of games that happened years ago with totally different players and different coaching staffs.

However, if you put aside irrational superstitions about losing streaks, ignore obvious recruiting propaganda from Butch Jones about our alleged "lack of depth," and realize that our perceived shortcomings (backup QB, offensive tackle, and #2 LB) pale in comparison to those of our SEC East rivals, it becomes clear that we should be considered the SEC East favorites this season. We've got the most returning starters, the best QB, the best D-line, the best secondary, and we host the other team with the best odds to win the division (Georgia).

So how many games should we realistically expect to win this season? The most accurate way to get an estimate would be to look at our schedule and add up the probabilities that we win each game. Josh Dobbs is really the only truly irreplaceable player on our team this year, so as long as he stays healthy (and there's absolutely no indication that he won't), I'm confident in these game-by-game odds:

v. Bowling Green (95% win)
v. Oklahoma (55% win)
v. Western Caroline (100% win)
@ Florida (66% win)
v. Arkansas (75% win)
v. Georgia (55% win)
(bye)
@ Alabama (20% win)
@ Kentucky (90% win)
v. South Carolina (80% win)
v. North Texas (100% win)
@ Missouri (66% win)
v. Vanderbilt (100% win)

Multiply each game by the win probability percentage:

v. Bowling Green (.95)
v. Oklahoma (.55)
v. Western Caroline (1.0)
@ Florida (.66)
v. Arkansas (.75)
v. Georgia (.55)
(bye)
@ Alabama (.20)
@ Kentucky (.90)
v. South Carolina (.80)
v. North Texas (1.0)
@ Missouri (.66)
v. Vanderbilt (1.0)

Then add up the numbers to get the number of expected wins:

.95 + .55 + 1.0 + .66 + .75 + .55 + .20 + .9 + .8 + 1.0 + .66 + 1.0 = 9.02 wins

So even though we're arguably favored in 11 of our 12 games, we should reasonably expect to win about 9 games this year. If you agree with the odds I've estimated for each game, 8-4 would be a disappointment. By contrast, here's my expected win total for Georgia:

v. U. La-Monroe (100% = 1.0)
@ Vanderbilt (100% = 1.0)
v. South Carolina (80% = .80)
v. Southern Jaguars (100% = 1.0)
v. Alabama (33% = .33)
@ Tennessee (45% = .45)
v. Missouri (75% = .75)
- bye -
@ Florida (75% = .75)
v. Kentucky (90% = .9)
@ Auburn (20% = .20)
v. Ga. Southern (100% = 1.0)
@ Ga. Tech (50% = .50)

Adding up their win probabilities for each game, Georgia's expected win total is only 8.68.

If we're likely to win the same number of games, and likely to actually beat Georgia head-to-head, why shouldn't we be favorites to win the division? I'll hang up and listen.

so i guess we just use your odds and math that you just made up right now?

get back to work. at the end of the day this is just another opinion.

Reactions: 6 people
Just a guess, but most likely from him, there is no such thing as a 100% win and we have 3 of them. 😛

I was thinking that was the case. All of the professional ones that I have seen previously have equated to 7.5 rounded up to 8.

8.68 rounds to 9.

9.02 rounds to 9.

So basically UT vs UGA could, and possibly should, decide the East?
Math and science aside, i do think it will come down to MO, UGA, and TN. and given all the questions all three teams have to answer this season, nothing will really surprise me this season.

i said it in another thread, but i sure would like to see us in the hunt when we go to MO in November. it's been a while since we played a championship relevant game that late in a season.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm curious, why do you have us favored over UGA at .55 and then UF and Mizzou at .66 whereas UGA is favored to them .75 each?

I'm curious, why do you have us favored over UGA at .55 and then UF and Mizzou at .66 whereas UGA is favored to them .75 each?

UGA is a home game, UF and Mizzou are road games.
UGA PROBABLY play them at home

the funny thing is that for every game played, it's literally 50/50. you wither win, or lose.

I like how we lost to vandy 2 years ago, barely squeaked past them last year, and you have them listed as a 100% chance of victory. Hell right.

Reactions: 1 person
the funny thing is that for every game played, it's literally 50/50. you wither win, or lose.

this is true! Really in the Vols case OU, Arkansas, Georgia, And Missouri should all be considered 50/50 games. I would put South Carolina around 60. Alabama 40.

this is true! Really in the Vols case OU, Arkansas, Georgia, And Missouri should all be considered 50/50 games. I would put South Carolina around 60. Alabama 40.
no..you put USC as W and Bama as L. pick the rest, that's your projection. :)

v. Bowling Green W
v. Oklahoma L
v. Western Caroline W
@ Florida W
v. Arkansas W
v. Georgia W
(bye)
@ Alabama L
@ Kentucky W
v. South Carolina W
v. North Texas W
@ Missouri L
v. Vanderbilt W
9-3 ARK is my swing game. i like our chances though, as they have a fairly tough slate prior to coming to Knoxville. 3 road games in a row i think....

and if we don't be Florida this year, we may never beat them. and i truly believe we'll beat UGA straight up.

IMO, Tennessee has 5 sure-fire wins in BG, NT, WC, UK, and Vandy. They have one sure loss at Bama. The other six games could go either way. Is 11-1 possible? Yes, but not probable. 5-7 is possible but not likely. If the Vols avg. .500 thru the remaining six games then 8-4 is probably the most realistic outcome.

VN Store

Back