How will OL be better this year?

ATLVols

Most on here seem confident that our offense will be much better. I definitely agree at the skill positions, but do not see why we are vastly improved at OL since it's mostly the same guys. We have one year of experience and some incoming freshmen, but help me understand why this group will be that much better. I'm wanting that same confidence.

development. OL is a developmental position. Remember how bad Jawuan James and those guys were in 2010? Nobody is saying they will be world beaters but i dont get why its hard to understand that players get better, develop and benefit from experience.

Reactions: 14 people
Most on here seem confident that our offense will be much better. I definitely agree at the skill positions, but do not see why we are vastly improved at OL since it's mostly the same guys. We have one year of experience and some incoming freshmen, but help me understand why this group will be that much better. I'm wanting that same confidence.

Maybe lack of cohesion between what Jake was attempting and what Mahoney was teaching? Butch has always pushed using speed but emphasizing the power run. Jake veered off that course A LOT. You had some big linemen pulling and running into each other instead of pushing the pile the other way. This year , the OC is an old OL coach...they may be on the same wavelength.

Reactions: 5 people

One year of experience makes a world of difference at a position like Oline, especially freshman to sophomore. They were already getting better at the end of last year, and what's more, they actually should have a whole year now with a mobile qb behind them. It's hard to acclimate with SEC-level battles in the trenches coming right out of high school. It's been pointed out before, but between 2010 and 2011, the sack numbers went down from 41 to 18 with the same Oline unit, just because of development.

Reactions: 8 people

Its all about development, learning the position,growing stronger and perfecting their craft. Remember the improvement our Oline made the 2nd yr that James,Richardson,Fulton and that group made. They weren't very good their FR yr but made huge improvements year 2.

Reactions: 1 person

I don't label the improvement as guaranteed but still have some thoughts. The first being the experience can be much more helpful than the credit being given. Think of anything in your life that you have tried and was almost embarrassed by the results. Now, you are probably good at some of the same things.

I also feel that DeBords expertise in that particular area is also a reason he was hired. There were several times last year when former players like Fred White, made comments on their form and technique being incorrect. With proper guidance, these are definitely fixable areas.

There are a few more reasons others will mention so keep this in mind. There will not be a golden element that improves the performance but a culmination.

Reactions: 2 people
All the above, an a healthy WR core will help. Also even though young there will be more depth. I think the new OC will help a lot also, with the lines improvement.

Its all about development, learning the position,growing stronger and perfecting their craft. Remember the improvement our Oline made the 2nd yr that James,Richardson,Fulton and that group made. They weren't very good their FR yr but made huge improvements year 2.

And they had a stationary QB, Dobbs help cover for the O-Line misses.

O-Line its hard to work game reps, because going full speed for 60-80 game reps will get someone hurt if done daily. Coaches break it down to working technique, hand punch and steps>>game time reps come in game time.

On the flip side of my post, someone help me here.

Which coach said this? - When asked his thoughts on returning all of his starters the following season, responded: "Well, that is a problem".

Ha!, had me rolling.

Dobbs will help a lot, as we saw last year. I just remember seeing Crowder getting blown off the ball and he is an older guy. Who else do you think will start on the OL?

Maybe lack of cohesion between what Jake was attempting and what Mahoney was teaching? Butch has always pushed using speed but emphasizing the power run. Jake veered off that course A LOT. You had some big linemen pulling and running into each other instead of pushing the pile the other way. This year , the OC is an old OL coach...they may be on the same wavelength.

DeBord is going to get the most out of this group, IMO. With all his years of OL coaching experience, he knows that group's strengths and weaknesses, and he will call plays that emphasize the former and minimize the latter.

Reactions: 6 people
Cause we said so............enough said.......drop the mic

jk.......pretty much what everyone else on here have typed. I will add +1 year in the weight room.

Wait! I thought of another one, pretty much eveyone on this blog has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express............so, we are pretty much the leading authority on OL development, so, if that doesn't perk your confidence level up..........nothing will :)

Go Vols!

Okay. So experience seems to be the collective answer. I just think we still have a lot of question marks there. Hopefully our guys can rise to those question marks.

There were OLmen playing out of position and that is still the case to a lesser extent. Having to play Coleman Thomas at RT, a position he is totally unfamiliar with, was a disaster. Playing Kerbyson at LT is not ideal, but Blair has not stepped up to beat him out yet. Gilliam played on one leg when he was able to play. I believe Kendrick will step up and hopefully Richmond, Jones and Boulware will blossom. Blair is the wild card and if he could play up to his physical abilities we could go from adequate to very good. At the very least we have some depth and guys to develop.

The center of the line returns intact. Crowder isn't an NFL level player but neither was Spencer Riley. Robertson and Jackson should be a rock solid tandum at guard. Kerbyson will be fine at tackle given he now has experience and isn't constantly getting moved.

Kendrick at RT will be a major improvement and should have started there all of last year.
The whole Thomas experiment really caused me to question Butch.

Last edited:

I believe you are right. In fact, I heard they've been dieting so as to look better in their speedos at the pool. Plus, I also heard that Lawson has had them doing more sprint training than weight lifting as he figured if they can't stop the DL, they may as well be able to catch up to them and tackle them from behind. That is just what I heard.

The center of the line returns intact. Crowder isn't an NFL level player but neither was Spencer Riley. Robertson and Jackson should be a rock solid tandum at guard. Kerbyson will be fine at tackle given he now has experience and isn't constantly getting moved.

Kendrick at RT will be a major improvement and should have started there all of last year.
The whole Thomas experiment really caused me to question Butch.

Thomas has the athleticism to play tackle. He has the body of a tackle. IMO he should be playing there, but he seems hell bent on being a center.

Kendrick played well when given a chance I think, but he needed to add strength and size. He has since, but still needs to continue adding it. I'd like to see him at LT, with Kerbyson playing RT.

Blair...

Anyway Richmond could surprise. Jack Jones could as well, despite his need to get bigger.

We have one year of experience and some incoming freshmen, but help me understand why this group will be that much better.

Development. Think about it this way- I will give you one month to learn to juggle, then compete in the World Juggling Championship. Think you'll do well?

Now, after your first attempt you have a full year to do nothing but study, practice, live & breathe juggling. Think you'd do better the second time around?

Players get better with practice and development.

Thomas has the athleticism to play tackle. He has the body of a tackle. IMO he should be playing there, but he seems hell bent on being a center.

Kendrick played well when given a chance I think, but he needed to add strength and size. He has since, but still needs to continue adding it. I'd like to see him at LT, with Kerbyson playing RT.

Blair...

Anyway Richmond could surprise. Jack Jones could as well, despite his need to get bigger.
Kendrick was consistently one of the top lifters among the O line. Well ahead of Thomas, and a natural tackle. One of first to hot squat mark. Thomas was horrible, and doesn't have feet to play tackle. Was also embarrassed in spring and blown off the ball.

We have one year of experience and some incoming freshmen, but help me understand why this group will be that much better. I'm wanting that same confidence.

Three things:

1. As several have already said, one year of experience will make a huge difference.

2. We have more players to utilize. Four incoming freshmen, Blair no longer redshirting, and C. Mosley apparently moving to oline. If the Kerbyson/Kendrick combo doesn't work out, having more players increases the chances we'll find the right combination. We didn't have that luxury last year.

3. DeBord cut his teeth as an oline coach in the 80's and 90's. Having the extra set of eyes will go a long way.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back