Mizzou Writers say the Tigers can rest easy

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
Rivals Mizzou writers said the Tigers could rest easy because "Tennessee's offensive line allowed 43 sacks last season. That ranked last in the SEC and 122nd nationally. Any injuries to that group could be devastating to Tennessee's season on offense."

There is some merit to that; we aren't the deepest team there by any stretch. Most of our depth/talent will be young and young cats on the line struggle.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't wait to play Missouri this year. We will be improved, and Missouri will be defeated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
I agree...they should completely relax and just go on cruise control Tennessee week. :)

Reactions: 26 people
Rivals Mizzou writers said the Tigers could rest easy because "Tennessee's offensive line allowed 43 sacks last season. That ranked last in the SEC and 122nd nationally. Any injuries to that group could be devastating to Tennessee's season on offense."

There is some merit to that; we aren't the deepest team there by any stretch. Most of our depth/talent will be young and young cats on the line struggle.

Worley's gone so it won't be a problem this year.

Reactions: 2 people
It could be a tough game on their turf.

Injuries throughout the season to both teams could become a major factor by the time we take them on.

Our young studs haven't Won against them...YET so I think they'll want to end that streak and start a WIN streak of our own.

I don't expect a blowout by either team but I like our chances this year even on their turf.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
They have had our number three years running so I don't blame them for being confident.

That being said we have the talent to not only win but eat their lunch this season.

Reactions: 5 people
I am not attempting to make a position-by-position talent comparison, but, in contextualizing the sack total (43) surrendered last year, I believe that it may be useful to compare Team 118's offensive line with that of the 2010 team, another team that had no alternative but to play a disproportionately large number of extremely young and inexperienced offensive linemen, including Ja'Wuan James. The 2010 team gave up 41 sacks for 289 yards lost, but the 2011 team surrendered only 18 sacks for 150 yards and the 2012 team gave up only 8 sacks for 58 yards lost. See University of University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Football; University of University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Football; and University of University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Football.

Part of that progression can be attributed to Tyler Bray's improvement as a quarterback, but much of it can be attributed to the natural progression of the offensive line during that period, both in terms of mastery of their respective positions and time spent in a college strength-training program. I would not be at all surprised to see a comparable reduction in sacks this year as Dobbs continues to gain increased understanding of this offense, as well as his responsibilities as quarterback, and the offensive line gels as a unit and continues to improve in terms of strength.

In short, if the Missouri writers expect this offensive line to be as porous as last year's edition, I believe that they will be in for a rude awakening. With respect to Missouri's program, I would add the following observations. Pinkel is a fine coach and he does an excellent job of developing players within his system. However, there is a ceiling above which he will not consistently build that program, based on overall recruiting success. As Butch continues to stockpile top-shelf talent, we will pass them; it is simply a matter of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 people
Our tackle play was horrible last year..If we can be average.that would be sa major improvement

VN Store

Back