Return of Third Down for What?

Should UT keep the "Third Down for What?" hype song?

• Total voters

TennesseeRhett

As the summer crawls along, I thought I'd address a polarizing topic. The "Third Down for What" phenomenon of last year energized the team and the crowd without question. That said, I've heard many people suggest that the song takes away from the Pride of the Southland, and also that the university should be cautious in associating itself with Lil' John and his shenanigans. Should this become a longstanding tradition, or should it be on it's way out? I'd love to hear Vol Nation's input.

No. I like a song to get the crowd even more energized and involved. But it would be nice to change it up each year maybe.

Reactions: 4 people
How about we limit it? Maybe one per drive or one per drive + unlimited when opponent is inside redzone?

Just seemed silly last year when an opponent would be on like a 90 yard drive and we hear it ten times and still get scored on.

Reactions: 20 people
Only when the fans/team needs a boost, critical situations, etc. Every single third down is complete overkill. I loved it at first, but by the end of the season hearing it every single third down was driving me nuts.

Reactions: 11 people
My give-a-sh!t ratio is low. The fans will decide by their actions. Frankly, I wouldn't miss it, but it doesn't bother me.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm cool with the song on big 3rd downs but EVERY third down got a bit outta hand. The players loved it last year but if you play it about 6 times on a single drive, it loses the luster.

Reactions: 4 people
Only when the fans/team needs a boost, critical situations, etc. Every single third down is complete overkill. I loved it at first, but by the end of the season hearing it every single third down was driving me nuts.

I was at the Utah State game. It was awesome at first, but by the 4th quarter it was already old to me

How about we limit it? Maybe one per drive or one per drive + unlimited when opponent is inside redzone?

Just seemed silly last year when an opponent would be on like a 90 yard drive and we hear it ten times and still get scored on.

When did we give up a 90 yard drive I can't remember?

CBJ says they will keep it to keep focus on 3rd down.....so it really doesn't matter what we think....

Reactions: 2 people
First down
Hook: Lil Jon]/Hey, lets go, lets go, lets go/Hey, lets go, lets go, lets go/Hey, lets go, lets go, lets go/Hey, lets go, lets go, lets go

Yes... It seems that we as a fan base need something to set us off and get loud, it worked. The players liked it, the fans went bananas, we owe it to the team that we get loud every time on defense the whole time, I strongly believe that crowd noise does two things, disrupts the opposing offense(if you can't hear the play call it's got to be harder) and gets the adrenaline going in our defense. It seems to me we need a hype song for 1st and 2nd too. I wonder how many decibels we can get to on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down.
GET LOUD TENNESSEE FANS. GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
A hip/dance song in 2013 isn't hip in 2015

I don't think that "Turn Down For What" will survive the test of time.

Stick to the classics that HAVE survived the test of time. Our crowd will be into it this year, with or without 3rd Down For What.

Last edited:
So, let me ask, is this for Fans or the Team? whatever it takes to get 3rd down stops, they can play "Highway to Hell" if it gets a stop.

Go Vols

So, let me ask, is this for Fans or the Team? whatever it takes to get 3rd down stops, they can play "Highway to Hell" if it gets a stop.

Go Vols

The song is for the fans. And the fans are for the team. If you pump up the fans, you pump up the team.

A hip/dance song in 2013 isn't hip in 2015

I don't think that "Turn Down For What" will survive the test of time.

Stick to the classics that HAVE survived the test of time. Our crowd will be into it this year, with or without 3rd Down For What.

Kool and the Gang?

I believe it was DP or LWS that mentioned a while back that 3rd Down for What will be back this season.

VN Store

Back