Oral history of the Derek Dooley era at Tennessee

Someday, after we're back to winning the East, contending for the SEC and CF Playoff, Dooley's name will cease to be mentioned. That day can't come soon enough...

Reactions: 20 people
Someday, after we're back to winning the East, contending for the SEC and CF Playoff, Dooley's name will cease to be mentioned. That day can't come soon enough...
Dooley's days in Knoxville already seems like an eternity ago to me for whatever reason.

Reactions: 2 people
None taken. I'm at the point now where I look at that era and just laugh. Butch has brought us so far outta of that mess. It feels like ages ago.

Reactions: 2 people
That being said that 2011 KY game will forever live in my memory as the lowest I have ever seen the Power T.

Incompetence along with being a Douche Bag makes Dooley the worst HC ever at UT imo.

Reactions: 8 people
Pretty telling quote from LaMarcus Thompson on 2011 Kentucky game:

Thompson: In 2011 Dooley didn't have a hint of respect from the players due to his methods as a head coach. The players not wanting to play in a "lesser" bowl game wasn't the issue. Players flat out didn't want to play for DEREK DOOLEY. So it wasn't the fact Dooley lost the team. He never had it.

Reactions: 3 people

I just don't understand this sentiment. Dooley should be remembered forever. He should be ridiculed forever. Vol fans should be making Dooley jokes forever. Dooley stories should give Vol children nightmares. Part of every off-season should be dedicated to excoriating Stooley. The Son of Barbara (SOB) should be made to make Cersei's walk of shame down the Vol Walk every year - in his orange pants, of course.

hsrRPUdKGTUH-bW6IifSx-v07n5nqueIztmRMZ-sI7yU9DIuF9ug5lQpVO9lcvwJFWA=w300

The Vols remember.

I just don't understand this sentiment. Dooley should be remembered forever. He should be ridiculed forever. Vol fans should be making Dooley jokes forever. Dooley stories should give Vol children nightmares. Part of every off-season should be dedicated to excoriating Stooley. The Son of Barbara (SOB) should be made to make Cersei's walk of shame down the Vol Walk every year - in his orange pants, of course.

hsrRPUdKGTUH-bW6IifSx-v07n5nqueIztmRMZ-sI7yU9DIuF9ug5lQpVO9lcvwJFWA=w300

The Vols remember.

"Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame .Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame .Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame."

Why wasn't Kippy Brown seriously considered for the job post Kiffin? Fulmer ties? Kiffin ties?

For the same reason that Cut wasn't a serious candidate.
Philopotamus had just been fired, and both Cut and Kippy were seen as Fulmer clones. We now know that idea was wrong as to Cut; who knows whether it was right or wrong as to Kippy. Only one thing for sure: not only would either Cut or Kippy been better than Dooley, either of their grandmothers would have been better.

It was a good article except that I don't think Mike Hamilton is sufficiently bashed. The treatment of Kippy Brown was disgusting and unethical. The self imposed 3 day window of time to have a coach in place to salvage one recruiting class was myopic and impulsive. The decision to hire Dooley (presumably because of his Saban ties and his pedigree) instead of Kevin Sumlin, who had just won 10 games at Houston, was incredibly poor judgement from a bookish fundraiser that didn't have enough knowledge of football to be making such a decision.

Reactions: 10 people
Dooley was Tennessee's "Mike Shula"...

The parrellels are incredibly similar...

Reactions: 4 people
Why wasn't Kippy Brown seriously considered for the job post Kiffin? Fulmer ties? Kiffin ties?

or how about no experience.

His only HC experience was HC of an XFL team for year. Not a real resume booster.

He was nothing more than a position coach in any of his college stints. His only coordinator position was for 2 years at Mia in 98-99.

As painful as it is to say, Dooley had more experience than Kippy.

Reactions: 1 person
You're in this business long enough, and know the coaches/players well enough, sometimes you know the exact quote to the question you're about to ask.

Butch in a nutshell.

I couldn't imagine the melt down volnation would have had if Coach Cut had been hired

Just shows you how dumb the masses can be. If we hired Cut 5 years ago who knows where would be as a program. I'm not saying it would be in better hands, but I think would've done a great job given the opportunity.

Everything happens for a reason and it might have been a blessing to have experienced Dooley. If we had hired Cut at that time, we may have been drifting through mediocrity for 5 to 10 years before he was fired. Definitely dont think he would have been able to put together the recruiting classes that Jones has thus far.

VN Store

Back