Good article on Emmanuel Moseley.

HoptownVol

I'd seriously like to know what his 40 time is, cause he just flies around the field.
Moseley passed the eyeball test last season, serving as a backup for much of the season but starting twice after Michael Williams was suspended, but statistics show
he was perhaps better than anyone imagined.

In 195 coverage snaps last season, Moseley allowed just nine completions. That percentage was the third lowest in the SEC, according to Pro Football Focus. Even
Tennessee’s coaching staff hadn’t kept that rare statistic and was impressed when learning it. Moseley (just like Williams) was targeted several times last season
because he was on the side opposite star Cameron Sutton, but teams obviously didn’t have much success when throwing his way. That has to mean something, right?

Second-Year Surge: Tennessee Vols football's Emmanuel Moseley

Reactions: 10 people
Good point. The only potential chinks in the Vols' D's armor are a bit of inexperience at mike and settling on the proper nickle back. Those possible speed bumps most likely won't be negative game changers. That being the case, UT's defense is going to be outrageous this year and, despite the mention made by some sports pundits, this group is thus far flying under the radar. By mid-season OCs are going to be sweating bullets trying to figure out how to mount a passing game due to both corners being shut down. Now, by season's end, this group of DBs may well be considered one of the best in the nation...let alone the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Good point. The only potential chinks in the Vols' D's armor are a bit of inexperience at mike and settling on the proper nickle back. Those possible speed bumps most likely won't be negative game changers. That being the case, UT's defense is going to be outrageous this year and, despite the mention made by some sports pundits, this group is thus far flying under the radar. By mid-season OCs are going to be sweating bullets trying to figure out how to mount a passing game due to both corners being shut down. Now, by season's end, this group of DBs may well be considered one of the best in the nation...let alone the SEC.

Imagine being able to rest Curt Maggitt and Barnett because of guys like Taylor and Phillips waiting to get on the field and show their ability.
Then there's Austin Smith and Chris Weatherd.

Our DE tandem will be fresh throughout the season and their backups will get better with more reps.

I have no doubts or concerns with Kirkland or Bates at MLB.
Look for Foreman to push for time at that Nickel spot. Foreman has really stepped it up.

Fall Camp is going to be the best it's been in along time!
So much talent trying to get on the field.

Moseley was the 3* recruit who was very skinny, correct? I thought they simply recruited him for speed and his most likely chance of playing was on special teams.. I didn't expect him to be a starter on defense. Certainly didn't expect him to be in top of SEC for stats on D. Glad the coaches have a good eye for talent.

Good little read. Wasn't Mosley a unheard of 2 star coming out of HS? It's crazy to think he may turn out to be one of our best players in the secondary.

Moseley was the 3* recruit who was very skinny, correct? I thought they simply recruited him for speed and his most likely chance of playing was on special teams.. I didn't expect him to be a starter on defense. Certainly didn't expect him to be in top of SEC for stats on D. Glad the coaches have a good eye for talent.

Sutton and Moseley, both 3 stars.:eek:hmy:

Yea Moseley was the 2 star. He was originally committed to Charlotte I believe until we offered, I seem to remember them planning on having him at corner all along. He just needed to spend some time putting on some weight.

Edit: he was later bumped to a 3 star on at least some services.

He actually got a good amount of looks from Clemson and a couple other ACC teams. They just didn't have the desperate need for CBs that we did where they would take on a speculative project that is 40-50lbs underweight.

I do remember reading that Clemson was impressed with his ability.

Good little read. Wasn't Mosley a unheard of 2 star coming out of HS? It's crazy to think he may turn out to be one of our best players in the secondary.

so was JJ Watt. I think we need to stop losing our minds whenever we offer a 2 or 3 star guy and let the coaches do the evaluations. obviously when they offered him, they didn't think here is a 2 star kid. they must've thought, here is a potentially GREAT football player.

I'm done taking the recruiting services that seriously. They're track record speaks for itself. 50% of 5 stars bust.

Burch has proven that he gets the players he wants and will beat out bama osu or anyone else so at this point we gotta have faith in whoever he offers to.

Reactions: 1 person
Moseley was a great suprise, I watched him play Durham Hillside in high school and he had a great game. I just thought he was way too small to contribute early at the SEC level, thankfully he proved me wrong. The only knock on this post in my view is Sutton is always matched up on the stud reciever. It is much different when you line up opposite the Amari Coopers of this league.

Yep. Two years in a row CBJ knocked it out of the park by finding underrated corners who turned out to be legit NFL potential guys.

Kudos to Butch for finding Moseley, a true diamond in the rough. However, Sutton was a Dooley recruit....verbally committed August of 2012.

Nice to read these. Promising stories on lower profile guys (for now) who are positioned to no longer be "lower profiled". If this maturation is true...what side of the field will our opponents have to throw??!!

Moseley was tiny coming into the program. But has since put on 20lbs I believe I have read. Apparently the dietitian was ordered to make sure his plate had extra carbs when he came in to eat.

Imagine being able to rest Curt Maggitt and Barnett because of guys like Taylor and Phillips waiting to get on the field and show their ability.
Then there's Austin Smith and Chris Weatherd.

Our DE tandem will be fresh throughout the season and their backups will get better with more reps.

I have no doubts or concerns with Kirkland or Bates at MLB.
Look for Foreman to push for time at that Nickel spot. Foreman has really stepped it up.

Fall Camp is going to be the best it's been in along time!
So much talent trying to get on the field.
I'll second that. Along with exceptional talent, winner's characteristics and football acumen, Butch recruits speed...everywhere. Isolating both corners with outside WR routes and sliding in quick slot receivers or backs...or TEs... inside and underneath, had previously been problematic. Now our nickles, backers and safeties are all fast and athletic enough to thwart those slants and crossing routes that used to demoralize our guys. All the time, as you pointed out, LV, the Vols' ever-fresh DTs and DEs are going to keep the QBs running for their lives. This should, indeed, be one of the most brutal defenses most of UT's opponents will face...in 2015 and in the future!

Love Moseley and Gaulden.

There are a ton of options at MLB and if worse truly comes to worst...then you have a RS Sr, 245 lb tackling machine available in Maggitt.

From a personnel standpoint, the only concern I see and it isn't a very big one... is McKenzie's lack of experience.

VN Store

Back