Question about how Ralph David Abernathy is going to be used

PackersVols91

Are we going to try to have him as the third string back and kick returner? It seems he could be very useful to spell Hurd/Kamara and not have to force Kelly into early action. I just haven't heard much about him in a while.

I'm hoping he at least relieves Cam from punt return duty. We need Cam on D. No doubt he adds some RB depth. Maybe see him on some sweeps?

Reactions: 1 person
I'm hoping he at least relieves Cam from punt return duty. We need Cam on D. No doubt he adds some RB depth. Maybe see him on some sweeps?

Definitely agree about Cam. Cam is a great punt returner, but is, imo, our most important defender. We can't afford to lose him.

I think his most important role is the one we want him to perform the least: rise into the two-deep at RB should Hurd or Kamara get injured. RDA being our three-deep at this position allows our freshmen to red shirt and develop a year. Note: nothing against RDA, but there is a drop-off if he's called upon to take on these duties.

And the role he should play the most frequently is the one several have already mentioned: kickoff & punt return duty. He can make a significant difference for us here, as well, even if he's not always the primary.

Abernathy has never returned punts. Why would he start now? If Kelly is ready to roll Abernathy will play slot receiver imo. No way Kelly redshirts.

Hopefully he can relieve Cam from his Punt Return duties. Cam is just way to important to risk injury by having him return punts. Surely there is at least one freaking player on our entire roster that is just as good as Cam Sutton is at returning punts.

I just don't understand or agree with having a star player out there returning punts or kick offs. Even if his replacement isn't quite on his level as a returner, I think you trade a slight drop off in play making ability at returner for Sutton's health. If he gets hurt, just don't let it be while playing Special Teams. I'm sure the coaches would be kicking their on butts if he got seriously hurt and had to miss a lot of the season just because they wouldn't let someone else return punts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Abernathy has never returned punts. Why would he start now? If Kelly is ready to roll Abernathy will play slot receiver imo. No way Kelly redshirts.[/QUOT

I agree with you about Kelly. I think he needs to get some carries this year for depth and for the future. Good chance we won't have Hurd or Kamara in 2017.

This is somewhat unrelated but I have a question: why did we have Cam returning punts to begin with? Why not have Berry do both? Is there a significant difference between fielding punts vs kickoffs that we could only use Cam to fill that void?

This is somewhat unrelated but I have a question: why did we have Cam returning punts to begin with? Why not have Berry do both? Is there a significant difference between fielding punts vs kickoffs that we could only use Cam to fill that void?

Takes a pretty big set to stand back there and field punts.

Reactions: 3 people
RDAIV was brought in as a return guy and slot receiver, but can also be used as a scat back. His father was interviewed about that some time ago.

He will be in a role similar to what devrin young played the last couple of years.

He's going to be used like a wet dishrag. Just kidding. Like others here, I am of the mind that he will be used as a kick returner and whatever else the coaches deem necessary.

Butch wants someone to CATCH the punt. The return is secondary. That is why Cam is there.

Totally different my man. Trajectory, mindset, everything.

Edit: I'd prefer Cam not returning punts. He's too valuable.

He will be in a role similar to what devrin young played the last couple of years.

I hope he's more productive in that role than Young was. Don't get me wrong, I was a big Young fan and I'm not trying to bad mouth him. I loved the passion that he played the game with, and his heart. He just wasn't a very good player at this level though. He really wasn't effective in any position he played at. He was sure handed when it came to fielding punts or kick offs, but I never thought he was going to break one for a TD, or even have a long return.

Definitely agree about Cam. Cam is a great punt returner, but is, imo, our most important defender. We can't afford to lose him.

If Sutton's better then play him. We need every advantage possible right now.

Not worrying about helping Sutton stay healthy for his NFL career. We need our #1 weapon whoever that is.

I hope he's more productive in that role than Young was. Don't get me wrong, I was a big Young fan and I'm not trying to bad mouth him. I loved the passion that he played the game with, and his heart. He just wasn't a very good player at this level though. He really wasn't effective in any position he played at. He was sure handed when it came to fielding punts or kick offs, but I never thought he was going to break one for a TD, or even have a long return.

I agree. Looked like he might take that one against LSU to the house as a FR. After that he just seemed to get thicker from S&C, but no better. As a SO/Jr it seemed that he expected to take a dive to the turf or OOB even before contact. Seemed mental.

Glad we had him anyway. Good kid.

One of his most valuable contributions he can lend to this team is SR leadership. Vols have lacked that and this team is young, so getting older mature players on the field, in the locker room and around this team is big...

VN Store

Back