Nike Debut Sets Tennessee Records

KBVol

Nike Debut Sets Records For Tennessee - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

An excerpt....

Tennessee fans showed their loyalty and excitement with their wallets as well. Online visitors purchased over $150,000 in Nike merchandise from http://shop.utsports.com/ on 1,500 transactions, an average of $100 per sale.

On campus, hundreds of fans lined up before the doors opened at the Vol Shop at Neyland Stadium, with the first fan arriving at 10:00 p.m. Tuesday night. Once the word was given at 12:30 p.m. to open the doors, a gameday-like atmosphere inside the store saw fans spend over $45,000 on Nike apparel at the Neyland location on Wednesday.

The sales pace is even more impressive when compared to the store’s grand opening in 2010, when the store brought in $6,700.

Reactions: 6 people
Interesting read for some of the 'traditionalists' that believe we should have stuck with Adidas:

Under Armour surpasses Adidas to become No. 2 sports brand
Baltimore-based company has been taking market share from German rival
September 08, 2014|By Lorraine Mirabella, The Baltimore Sun
Under Armour has overtaken Adidas this year in combined apparel and footwear sales to become the second biggest sports brand in the United States.

Baltimore-based Under Armour had U.S. apparel and footwear sales of $1.2 billion through the end of August, edging ahead of Adidas with $1.1 billion total U.S. sales, according to a Sterne Agee report citing sales figures from SportScanInfo. Under Armour sales have jumped 20 percent this year, while Adidas combined sales have plummeted 23 percent.

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
Market leader Nike, with 46 percent of the athletic footwear market and a third of the sports apparel sales, far outpaces its competitors with a combined $8.9 billion sales so far this year.

Under Armour has been stealing market share in apparel sales for months from its older German rival and from Nike, according to Sterne Agee.

Under Armour's sports apparel sales, which account for 14 percent of the U.S. market, expanded to more than twice those of Adidas. Adidas, with a six percent share of the apparel market, continues to rank third as a footwear brand behind Nike and Jordan, with more than double Under Armour's fledgling, but growing, footwear sales.

"Under Armour and Nike are constantly dissatisfied, and Adidas hasn't had the same sense of urgency," said Sam Poser, a managing director and research analyst with Sterne Agee. "Adidas sometimes sits back on their laurels too much and the other folks pass them by. What we're seeing now is an example of that."

The year-to-date report reflects a trend of Under Armour's apparel sales growing while Adidas' decline, eating away at Adidas market share. In February for instance, Under Armour's apparel sales were nearly triple those of Adidas. The German company said in a quarterly earnings report last month that its sales grew in all regions in the first half of the year except in North America, where it had double-digit declines in the United States.

Under Armour CEO and founder Kevin Plank has repeatedly stated the relatively young company's goal of becoming the world's biggest sports brand by targeting the women's sports apparel and footwear markets, expanding its base of Under Armour retail outlets and spreading its brand around the globe, where sales now account for less than 10 percent of revenue. The company anticipates nearly $3 billion in sales this year.

Last week, just days after losing out on a bid to sign NBA star Kevin Durant to a basketball-shoe deal, Under Armour announced the signing of Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen to its lineup of representatives including ballerina Misty Copeland and skier Lindsey Vonn for its biggest-ever, $15 million, ad campaign aimed at women.

Since late last year, the company has become the exclusive supplier to teams at Notre Dame and the U.S. Naval Academy, expanded into Brazil and opened branded stores in China and New York City.

For much of the year, Under Armour has been battling it out with Nike.

Poser said in a May research report that the two brands' apparel sales were continuing to dominate, with Nike capturing sales in mid-tier department stores and Under Armour seeing healthy gains in share through athletic specialty and sporting goods retailers and taking share from the larger Nike from those stores. That month alone, sales jumped 18 percent for Nike and 22 percent for Under Armour while sales declined sharply for Adidas, Russell and Champion.

[​IMG]
"Nike and Under Armour … are annihilating the competition," Poser wrote. "It appears as if the women's apparel will be the battleground going forward."

I actually would have loved under armour. Don't get me wrong I think Nike is a home run, but UA is legit. They make great products and they aren different than the similar nike shirts you see for every team they sponsor.

I actually would have loved under armour. Don't get me wrong I think Nike is a home run, but UA is legit. They make great products and they aren different than the similar nike shirts you see for every team they sponsor.

They're all pretty much the same

Reactions: 1 person

Under Armour's shoes are absolute garbage and they have zero connections in AAU basketball, which means coaches at their schools have no access to summer recruiting events.

Interestingly enough, while some Nike and Adidas events are exclusive to those companies' schools, both companies allow coaches from the other company's schools to attend many of the tournaments that they put on. UA coaches can't get in the door.

Reactions: 13 people
Interesting read for some of the 'traditionalists' that believe we should have stuck with Adidas:

Admittedly confused. Weren't the traditionalists worried about the uniforms not the name brand on them? it wasn't like Adidas had always made our uniforms, they were just worried about the direction Nike had gone with certain other schools?

Yes but at Nikes prices, we probably sold the same amount of gear overall😁

Just kidding guys

dollar-dollar-bills-y-all-o.gif

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder how much UT Nike gear has been sold all throughout the entire state of Tennessee? I am meaning at any store in any location.

Nike Debut Sets Records For Tennessee - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

An excerpt....

Tennessee fans showed their loyalty and excitement with their wallets as well. Online visitors purchased over $150,000 in Nike merchandise from Tennessee Volunteers Merchandise, University of Tennessee Apparel, UT Gear, Clothing, Shop, Store, Gifts - Tennessee Volunteers on 1,500 transactions, an average of $100 per sale.

On campus, hundreds of fans lined up before the doors opened at the Vol Shop at Neyland Stadium, with the first fan arriving at 10:00 p.m. Tuesday night. Once the word was given at 12:30 p.m. to open the doors, a gameday-like atmosphere inside the store saw fans spend over $45,000 on Nike apparel at the Neyland location on Wednesday.

The sales pace is even more impressive when compared to the store’s grand opening in 2010, when the store brought in $6,700.

Are you the guy that works at the bookstore ? Was wondering if the sweatshirts fit normal -- those photos make them look like they are tight fitted

I spent $200 today and ain't even bought the $135 jersey yet...The shirts were just as cheap as Adidas. The jersey is only about $15 for replica..But you do get what you pay for..Love the Nike gear...Bout a polo, 2 hats,a bag,2more performance tees too...The polo was same price as Adidas also..Hats were only 26....So in all the jersey is only higher and that extra 15 gets you a jersey that will not wear out after 5 washes..

Admittedly confused. Weren't the traditionalists worried about the uniforms not the name brand on them? it wasn't like Adidas had always made our uniforms, they were just worried about the direction Nike had gone with certain other schools?

It's never been about Nike or Adidas. It is about fear of change. Many people would rather stay irrelevant and comfortable, than to think outside of the box and dare to be peacocks and stand out. Prime example. The phrase "Well Alabama doesn't do it" should be blasphemy on this board but it is used constantly in the uniform thread.

I still remember talking to a bunch of dumb old heads saying Nike would be the worst decision Tennessee could ever make. I bet they eating crow.

It's never been about Nike or Adidas. It is about fear of change. Many people would rather stay irrelevant and comfortable, than to think outside of the box and dare to be peacocks and stand out. Prime example. The phrase "Well Alabama doesn't do it" should be blasphemy on this board but it is used constantly in the uniform thread.

That was my point. Under Armour passing adidas has nothing to do with why those people were worried about Nike.

I still remember talking to a bunch of dumb old heads saying Nike would be the worst decision Tennessee could ever make. I bet they eating crow.

Read the new Nike/Tennessee contract and you'll see that Tennessee gets $750,000. a year LESS money than they would have gotten with adidas.

That's BIG $$$ that we lost by the change.

As long as top recruits love our new uniforms and come help us WIN lots more games it's cool with me.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Winning football games is what makes Alabama stand out

That is absolutely ridiculous. I love UT as much as any other fan, but I don't get why everyone is losing their minds over Nike. Yeah, it's fun, but holy hell, they're just clothes. Nike is playing Knoxville like a violin.

Read the new Nike/Tennessee contract and you'll see that Tennessee gets $750,000. a year LESS money than they would have gotten with adidas.

That's BIG $$$ that we lost by the change.

As long as top recruits love our new uniforms and come help us WIN lots more games it's cool with me.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Tennessee gets 4% more of the net sales and unlimited gear. The Vols are going to bank a lot more in this deal.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back