Top 10 Ways You Show You're a Tennessee Volunteer in America's Armed Forces

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
10. You combat park your POV (personally owned vehicle, aka, car) so everyone can see the Power T front license plate.
9. You sometimes get up at 3 a.m. to watch a game from a third of the way around the globe.
8. You sneak something orange under the uniform in a place your platoon sergeant hopefully won't notice.
7. You shouted Go Vols! instead of Hooah! accidentally during the first week of boot camp. Twice. And survived.
6. You considered saluting the A&M lieutenant from Third Platoon with the VFL handsign, but would rather avoid the Art 15.
5. You actually did salute him with it. Luckily, he just laughed at you. Some LTs are good people, even if ugly Aggies.
4. You and a fellow Vol snuck into the artillery battalion's area one day and replaced their colors with an orange & white Vols flag. They're still looking for their colors.
3. Discovering that the Division Commanding General is a fellow Volunteer, you went over to his quarters and rang the bell just to say hello. He had you in for a beer and talked football with you for 45 minutes.
2. During Army-Navy game weekend, you're the only one walking around saying Go Big Orange in response to other people's "beat Navy" calls.
1. Everyone else got the American Eagle tat on their chest, but you got the 14" tall Power T instead.

[with thanks to 1974Vol for the idea of Top 10 lists]

Reactions: 12 people
I have done some of these. I like to talk ball with the Brigade Commander. He is a Bammer. I always tell him we all make poor choices in life. He takes it in stride. I think if he was really offended, I wouldn't be the HHD 1SG anymore.

Reactions: 3 people
I spray painted power T's on the props of a C-130 in Kuwait.
I snuck under some chithooks at <base redacted> in Nevada and sprayed orange power T's on the bottom...people got mad at that one.
I stuck orange power T stickers all over a Polish blackhawk during a training exercise in Germany.
I lined an elevator shaft with power T stickers in a hangar in Iceland.

Worst story though is my 1998 championship t-shirt was sucked into the air return hose in a tent city in the middle east and destroyed by the a/c unit :cray:

Reactions: 3 people
attachment.php

Reactions: 12 people
The truest example of a VOLUNTEER . Thanks from all of my crew ,to you and yours.

I've knocked out about 5 of those. Haven't gotten a power T tat yet.

I had an ammo buddy put some power T stickers on some bombs before they dropped in Iraq. Take that Sadaam.

Reactions: 5 people
Been Vol fan for 45 years there is one thing i do every day of my life when i get up every day before the sun sets in the West a true VFL says GO VOLS and BUCK bama.:lolabove:

Spot-on post. I have watched Vols games or sported Vols gear in Qatar, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Oman, Diego Garcia (BIOT), UAE, Germany, Japan, and Guam. Thank God for AFN...especially before morale internet was robust enough to stream games.

And thanks to my fellow Vols for their service and sacrifice.

Reactions: 2 people
Did a bunch of these things as well. I also carried the same UT ball cap in my ruck for 23 years and would don it when the Vols were playing, regardless of field or garrison.
My mother sent me a copy of the KNS story on the Miracle in South Bend while I was in Ranger School--best mail call ever.

Oh, yeah, I once painted the Signal Officer's map with Bright Orange Go Vols since she had the most orange markers in the TOC.

I was stationed in Hawaii for almost four years and I would get up at six am for every noon game. I even woke up on new year's day for the outback bowl game that we beat Wisconsin after an hours sleep and commenced to drink again. Damn near got a dui from the mps makin a beer run at nine in the mornin

VN Store

Back