Is The Media Sleeping On Our Defense?

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
It could be my subjectivity but it seems as though I read/hear about Dobbs, Hurd, Pig, Kamara, etc, but hardly a mention of our D. I honestly think when the dust settles at the end of the year this team will be remember for its defense. Maggit's leadership is being the catalyst and imagine Barnett after another year in the S&C program.

I also think Sutton is being undervalued performance wise nationally and locally he doesnt get the credit for his leadership. I look for Randolph to leave everything he has on field this year and be a freaking bauce. We have some depth again and there are guys that are finally upperclassman such as O'Brien, Vereen, and Williams. It is so much easier to win in the trenches when you have 20 and 21 year old players instead of 18 year old guys out there. Simply physical maturation is going to help us tremendously.

I also think Gaulden is future superstar, watch and see. Martin or Mosely could easily be on an ALL SEC team at the end of year as they both have the ability.
All in all this feels like a sunshine post, but when I think about it all, I feel as thought its just sound observational logic with a slight hint of favoritism (maybe a little more than hint). Nevertheless, it is my contention that we have the ability to be one of the top four defenses in the SEC, and I honestly believe top 3. I suspect that Bama and the Barn will be one and two, with the Vols and Ole Miss flipping between 3 and 4.

Just one man's opinion.

Reactions: 11 people
I think they are, and I'm happy about it. Let 'em sleep. They'll wake up soon enough when our dominant defense starts shutting down people we aren't supposed to shut down.

Reactions: 6 people
I think yes, with the exception of Barnett and perhaps Sutton.

KMAC and Tuttle in the DL rotation will be the key to us having an outstanding Defense... If they can eat double teams up, that turns Barnett,Weatherd,and Maggitt loose to wreak havoc in the backfield and the secondary only have to cover for a few seconds and will get quite a few bad balls thrown their way

Reactions: 4 people
By the end of the season this Tennessee defense will be top 15 in nation, if we can stay some what healthy.

Reactions: 1 person
I think our defense is flowing under the radar because we don't have a MIKE backer yet. Once that guy is named, the analysis will begin! I'd like to see some ameba defensive sets so the big M can break through some holes!

It varies from source to source as far as I've seen. I know one of those analyst people had sutton going as the #10 pick (I think) to the Redskins(also not 100% sure) and went as far as to say that even though the media may be sleeping on him the scouts are not.

I do not see anyone ready to step in and play like AJ in the middle... however every other position looks to be deeper, more talented, and on the whole more experienced. That's a pretty good ratio to produce the kind of improvement you're talking.

I do not see anyone ready to step in and play like AJ in the middle... however every other position looks to be deeper, more talented, and on the whole more experienced. That's a pretty good ratio to produce the kind of improvement you're talking.

Yeah, who is going to make those tackles 5 yards further downfield than they should have?

It could be my subjectivity but it seems as though I read/hear about Dobbs, Hurd, Pig, Kamara, etc, but hardly a mention of our D. I honestly think when the dust settles at the end of the year this team will be remember for its defense. Maggit's leadership is being the catalyst and imagine Barnett after another year in the S&C program.

I also think Sutton is being undervalued performance wise nationally and locally he doesnt get the credit for his leadership. I look for Randolph to leave everything he has on field this year and be a freaking bauce. We have some depth again and there are guys that are finally upperclassman such as O'Brien, Vereen, and Williams. It is so much easier to win in the trenches when you have 20 and 21 year old players instead of 18 year old guys out there. Simply physical maturation is going to help us tremendously.

I also think Gaulden is future superstar, watch and see. Martin or Mosely could easily be on an ALL SEC team at the end of year as they both have the ability.
All in all this feels like a sunshine post, but when I think about it all, I feel as thought its just sound observational logic with a slight hint of favoritism (maybe a little more than hint). Nevertheless, it is my contention that we have the ability to be one of the top four defenses in the SEC, and I honestly believe top 3. I suspect that Bama and the Barn will be one and two, with the Vols and Ole Miss flipping between 3 and 4.

Just one man's opinion.

Good post. Failed to mention Dylan Bates. I saw flashes of greatness there before he got hurt. Future looks bright.

I think they are, and I'm happy about it. Let 'em sleep. They'll wake up soon enough when our dominant defense starts shutting down people we aren't supposed to shut down.

I agree.

Good post, man. It's been a while, how have you been?

REXVOL! he has been quite. I agree, let them all sleep on UT, I hear it on XM91, they do not give our team much of a chance in the east. An Orange Storm on the horizon and it is packing some serious wupass!

Go Vols! :rock:

The improvement at DT that is expected will help whichever MLB is chosen. Also AJ was gone for what? 4 games last year?

Part of me understands why they are sleeping on our defense. We lost our MLB and we weren't so hot against the run last year overall. Most teams were able to wear us down by the end of the game bc we weren't deep enough to rotate DTs the way you need to in the SEC.

However, there's a part of me that thinks they're really dumb for not understanding that new players like Mckenzie, Tuttle, and Kirkland could actually improve that facet of our defense tremendously.

Hopefully Tuttle, KMac, and Vickers are all able to ball out or at least solidly contribute. If we can rotate 5 deep at DT and not have to worry about losing much in terms of productivity, our D will be nasty.

Reactions: 2 people
Part of me understands why they are sleeping on our defense. We lost our MLB and we weren't so hot against the run last year overall. Most teams were able to wear us down by the end of the game bc we weren't deep enough to rotate DTs the way you need to in the SEC.

However, there's a part of me that thinks they're really dumb for not understanding that new players like Mckenzie, Tuttle, and Kirkland could actually improve that facet of our defense tremendously.

Hopefully Tuttle, KMac, and Vickers are all able to ball out or at least solidly contribute. If we can rotate 5 deep at DT and not have to worry about losing much in terms of productivity, our D will be nasty.

K-mac alone will vastly improve our already good defense. I mention him solely because he is a step above anything we already have at DT, Veteran or fellow freshman. Tuttle will follow his lead.

Mixon will play a ton at DT and DE. Vickers will be in there as well.

Yeah, Kirkland , K-Mac and Austin Smith, Justin Martin are 4 guys that will really change this defense.

I agree rexvol - I also think the D will be the strength of the team in 2015 barring injury. The O-line is still my biggest questioin mark. I feel very good about the D-line.

The improvement at DT that is expected will help whichever MLB is chosen. Also AJ was gone for what? 4 games last year?

Actually just the last 3. And badly missed. IMHO, he would have been the difference in the Mizzou game. Williams' help at CB wouldn't have hurt either.

By Iowa, the staff had compensated better for the loss but you still didn't get the production out of the replacements. Jakob and Bynum had 12 tackles between them over the last 3 games after replacing AJ. AJ avg'd over 9 tackles per game by himself. His contributions that don't show up in stats were missed even more.

Your point about the DL is true. But the LB's still have to do their part. I know there was a thread and much handwringing... but I am not sure the "fall back" solution of moving Maggitt to LB is as far-fetched as many. I think it will come down to whether the DE's are better prepared to replace him there than the LB's are to play without him.

Last edited:
Might be the Fastest UT defense in a decade

And this will pay dividends. No offense out there can beat us to the edge anymore. No more fast QB's or scat backs burning us for 40+ yards. Every offense will have to earn every yard. With Berry and Kelly out there this may be the fastest secondary that I even remember.

VN Store

Back