Power Ranking SEC Units: Defensive Line by our guys at 24/7

GiveHimSixGoVols

2) Tennessee (Derek Barnett, Curt Maggitt)
Tennessee will have the best DE tag team in the nation for the upcoming year, with freshman sensation Derek Barnett coming back for year two, and Curt Maggitt looking to finish his career in Knoxville with a bang. Both would normally draw double teams, but you just can’t leave yourself open in the middle by doing that, especially with incoming freshmen Shy Tuttle and Khalil McKenzie at DT. If those two can come on quickly on the inside, and the group avoids injuries, this might not just be the best defensive front in the SEC, but the best outside of the NFL, where all four should be playing one day.

Full list here:Power Ranking SEC Units: Defensive Line

Reactions: 25 people
I'm excited about or defense's potential.

this might not just be the best defensive front in the SEC, but the best outside of the NFL

Morning dose of goosebumps

Reactions: 15 people
2) Tennessee (Derek Barnett, Curt Maggitt)
Tennessee will have the best DE tag team in the nation for the upcoming year, with freshman sensation Derek Barnett coming back for year two, and Curt Maggitt looking to finish his career in Knoxville with a bang. Both would normally draw double teams, but you just can’t leave yourself open in the middle by doing that, especially with incoming freshmen Shy Tuttle and Khalil McKenzie at DT. If those two can come on quickly on the inside, and the group avoids injuries, this might not just be the best defensive front in the SEC, but the best outside of the NFL, where all four should be playing one day.

Full list here:Power Ranking SEC Units: Defensive Line
I actually believe few teams will pass on obvious passing downs, we'll see lots of draws and screens. There will be zero time to get a pass off. We'll find out how good Mr. Chubb actually is this year after running into the teeth of our D play after play and a QB that has to get rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less. Our DL will be dominating and deep this year.

Reactions: 1 person
this might not just be the best defensive front in the SEC, but the best outside of the NFL, where all four should be playing one day.

xr5BNBWsnKxllrYWlTu6QCNKJgpJ02rKH8GztQtdt18oppSxq6THob6njpVH-_Abn3TnJthtqRyB0tAsXAoH4uqhnlsXXYCK9neitQHNfa7dQ3ZyKnSEhnTNi2tGE8JF5sI

Reactions: 11 people
I'm more excited about our Dline than any other part of our team this year. It has been way too long since we have had the guys up front to be able to control a game in the trenches.

Reactions: 3 people
"Vols may be the best unit outside of the pros... But, ya know, bama #1."

Can't wait to get after them this year.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, I think we'll be alright (and fresh!) for a few years to come.

DE:
-Derek Barnett
-Curt Maggitt
-Kyle Phillips
-LaTroy Lewis
-Corey Vereen
-Dimarya Mixon
-Andrew Butcher
-Darrell Taylor
-maybe Jakob Johnson?

DT:
-Kahlil McKenzie
-Shy Tuttle
-Owen Williams
-Danny O’Brien
-Kendal Vickers
-Quay Picou
-maybe Trevarris Saulsberry?

That is just a ridiculous amount of talent! :thud:
Butch's long term plan is coming in place.

Reactions: 6 people
"Vols may be the best unit outside of the pros... But, ya know, bama #1."

Can't wait to get after them this year.

My only thought for those words and the ranking is that our talent is extremely young. If they live up to the billing they'll be the best.

I'm majoring on Mizzou right now so forgive me but Brantley won't be playing this fall.

I'm majoring on Mizzou right now so forgive me but Brantley won't be playing this fall.

It would be shocking. I wish the best for the kid and his career, both college and pro.

That being said, I really am curious to see how Mizzou handles this situation. I know they have a system in place, but depth may be a serious issue for them. They may be like us last year, talented and stout, but able to be worn down in the second half due to lack of depth.

We've got more talent than sorority village, and these two are at the head. Both are future pros, and call me crazy but a healthy Barnett could result in one of the all time greats coming out of Knoxville. Oh yeah, and having Kmac the freak and Ninja Tuttle in the middle will have an immediate impact, its inevitable. This front 7 is a black hole for opposing offenses.

Yeah the fact they included him makes me disappointed in the writer. That was the first thought I had whilst reading it.

Honestly, I think our DL is better than bammer's this year.

Usually, we cannot even make comparisons like that. But for the first time in years, I really believe we have more talent than them at this position...well and QB too. I bet Kiffin would kill to have Dobbs right now. Actually, I think the rest of the SEC would kill to have a QB like Dobbs :crazy:

Yet they have then #2 in their conf?

Well, it makes sense. Assume that Alabama and UT are 1 and 2 in the country (which makes them the best two outside of the NFL). They said that *if* Shy and Kahlil are able to jump right in and live up to the hype, *then* we have a better line than Alabama (and, hence, the best in college football).

It's a conditional claim where the first half of the conditional is by no means guaranteed (Kahlil is almost a sure thing to do well, but whether or not he dominates in year one is a different question, and Shy is less likely in both regards). It's perfectly reasonable say that we jump Bama if they both do very well, and they take pressure off of Barnett/Maggitt on the outside.

Usually, we cannot even make comparisons like that. But for the first time in years, I really believe we have more talent than them at this position...well and QB too. I bet Kiffin would kill to have Dobbs right now. Actually, I think the rest of the SEC would kill to have a QB like Dobbs :crazy:

Yeah, HardKnox, I honestly believe we are pushing 'Bama and the entire SEC for first-best in some position groups, including DLine and (very soon, just need a little seasoning) QB. When they play to their potential, think we could add the WR squad to that. DBs growing into the mix, too. Will become more and more true at all positions as our younger studs mature and Butch & Co keep up the recruiting full court press. But already, we're top third of the SEC in most sections.

From this point on, every year is a potential championship run for the Vols.

VN Store

Back