Butch Jones too robotic?

BigOrange15

Never Falter, Never Yield
I wanted to get VNs opinion on something. I live in Arkansas and as such, I listen to the hog slanted sports radio here in Little Rock. One of the recruiting guys who covers the Razorbacks said that he hasn't bought into Butch Jones yet because he said he was too "robotic". He went on to say that yes, he recruits at an extremely high level but that he is a "cliche machine" and "the biggest coach speak guy in the SEC" and that his "brick by brick" mantra is as cliche as it gets.

Butch seems to be a pretty conservative coach by nature and one of the guys said he might be too inflexible as far as in game coaching and that hurts him. So what do you guys think? Accurate? Denial? Some of both? I'll hang up and listen.

Last edited:
I never care about another team's employee's opinion. I'm sure they were preaching after the hire how he wouldn't be able to recruit in the SEC...so they're just piling on the wrong. :)

Reactions: 11 people
Pretty much all of those things have been said on here at some point or another.

Reactions: 1 person
I think some guy just used the wrong choice of words and dug himself in a hole spewing on the radio. When I think robotic, I think predictable. Butch is far from predictable. He calls conservative and then out of nowhere (and quite frequently) there's a trick play.

Reactions: 2 people
Pretty much all of those things have been said on here at some point or another.

Yeah, he just was going on and on about it. Arkansas media and fans already dont like to give any credit to him because they somehow think it it is belittling the job that Bielema is doing so he could have just been playing to the listeners but from what I can tell, they have a rude awakening coming this fall because their sports guys and callers are overlooking us big time.

I think some guy just used the wrong choice of words and dug himself in a hole spewing on the radio. When I think robotic, I think predictable. Butch is far from predictable. He calls conservative and then out of nowhere (and quite frequently) there's a trick play.

It wasn't just some random caller though, it was the guy from one of the sites that covers their football recruiting. Of course, he did just get done talking up their 2 star TE commitment so, you know, who knows.

He's out recruiting the Big 10 meathead ringer we hired, so there has to be an artificial intelligence factor afoot. :)

Robotic = unemotional (which Butch most definitely is not, he's fiery) and predictable (which I hope they believe he is...because then his Ashford-to-Ellis fake punt types of plays are just totally gonna give them conniption fits). :)

Bottom line: Butch Jones is certainly not robotic.

Reactions: 3 people
Who cares what anybody in Arkansas thinks about Butch?
I care about what the outside opinion of our coaches and program is and Arkansas is a nice gauge because by and large, we are pretty low on each others hate lists.

Last edited:
Robotic = unemotional (which Butch most definitely is not, he's fiery) and predictable (which I hope they believe he is...because then his Ashford-to-Ellis fake punt types of plays are just totally gonna give them conniption fits). :)

Bottom line: Butch Jones is certainly not robotic.

Yeah, his words. Dude is the coach speakingest coach speaker out there but robotic is not a word I would use to describe Butch Jones.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch is one of the smartest coaches in the SEC. He's innovative as hell when it comes to marketing the program and he has generated almost no controversy in the 2.5 years he's been here. Which is extremely impressive given his recruiting success. And a large part of that is his reliance on coach speak at every media event.

In fact, the only "misstep" he's made was the "red team" comment about Alabama, but that was mostly due to their entitled fanbase and players feeling disrespected over a completely innocent comment intended to help our players focus against a team that seemed invincible.

Coaches really stand to gain nothing other than promotion of their programs by doing press events, but too many of them let their egos get in the way and they end up putting their foot in their mouth. Butch is robotic for a reason--he keeps Tennessee out of the headlines for the wrong reasons (no Kiffin smacktalk, no Dooleyisms).

He comes across as a cliche machine, but he's actually extremely personable and witty. His "insults" to the players during practices are always witty and 100 percent on point.

Reactions: 4 people
I think the media probably gets the cliché coach speak which can definitely sound robotic. I'd imagine that press conferences are a thing that is required to do much like a household chore to a child. I bet at practice and game time situations he is not speaking of bricks and culture and how young we are as a team.

I wonder what clichés he used with Jalen Hurd after the underage drinking incident when he said they "took care of it internally".

Coach Jones is the man from every aspect besides letting Bajakian run the O into the ground. I think it was probably a mutual departure for Bajakian and he will also keep a tight leash on Deboard throughout the 4 quarters.

Butch is one of the smartest coaches in the SEC. He's innovative as hell when it comes to marketing the program and he has generated almost no controversy in the 2.5 years he's been here. Which is extremely impressive given his recruiting success. And a large part of that is his reliance on coach speak at every media event.

In fact, the only "misstep" he's made was the "red team" comment about Alabama, but that was mostly due to their entitled fanbase and players feeling disrespected over a completely innocent comment intended to help our players focus against a team that seemed invincible.

Coaches really stand to gain nothing other than promotion of their programs by doing press events, but too many of them let their egos get in the way and they end up putting their foot in their mouth. Butch is robotic for a reason--he keeps Tennessee out of the headlines for the wrong reasons (no Kiffin smacktalk, no Dooleyisms).

He comes across as a cliche machine, but he's actually extremely personable and witty. His "insults" to the players during practices are always witty and 100 percent on point.

Other schools don't want to believe that Butch Jones and by extension, Tennessee are for real. That's mostly what I got out of it and the sense I get from other SEC schools not named Kentucky or South Carolina...denial.

Other schools don't want to believe that Butch Jones and by extension, Tennessee are for real. That's mostly what I got out of it and the sense I get from other SEC schools not named Kentucky or South Carolina...denial.

Yeah, all the sec school's we play will be going through the five stages of grief this season.
DENIAL
ANGER
BARGAINING
DEPRESSION
Acceptance

Fans and supporters of others schools don't want to see their competitors succeed and seldom give credit where credit is due. To date, Butch has demonstrated in actions that he has a plan and is working relentlessly to accomplished that plan (and now it is time to win).

The fear factor associated with Butch continuing to build Brick by Brick, change the culture, win the next play, and "it all starts with recruiting" has to annoy other fan bases just as much as the color Orange and Rocky Top.

I can recall during the 1990's that many fans of others schools were calling CPF unexciting and boring but all he was doing was beating them on every Saturday. Just the other day, I read a couple of comments regarding one VIMEO production on youTube where a jawja dawg was saying he had no clue why Butch was being successful recruiting because Butch had nothing new to say but admitted it seems to be working.

Personally, every time I see the Vols have just added another Brick for Team 120/Team 121, etc, it brightens my day! GBO!!

I completely agree that he seems somewhat "robotic" or "scripted" when interviewed but I think that is in large part to him not being established quite yet. He is trying to sell success to the fanbase and recruits in his 3rd year with little tangible evidence to show for it.
So he compensates with a rebuilding mentality in which he seems very cliche. I think we will see Butch get a little more fiery once we are winning and he isn't as worried about reestablishing the program. Once the pressure is relieved somewhat I think we will see him loosen up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ora3w14RxBw

VN Store

Back